ebike insurance for conversions

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does anyone know or/and have experience of insurance companies who will cover bicycles converted to UK road legal pedelecs? Pedal Cover says no:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you wont be able to insure it because you can change the speed settings in the controller.

every one thinks they can buy a diy kit and set it to 15mph and be road legal its not because you can change the settings.

if i remove my dongle there is no way to change anything not even the wheel size because it is a locked system not even the dealers can change much bar the wheel size.

plus insurance is a scam anyway and will try everything not to pay out.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Such ignorance of the law, even from an insurance company:
1. Legal Pedelecs are legally allowed to go faster than 15.5mph but NOT WITH electrical assist.
2. Motor Power - should be limited to max continuous power of 250w - peak powers in excess of this are not deemed illeagal as an understanding of BS EN15194 shows (or rather, it doesn't mention peak power, just max continuous power which is quite a different thing).
2. Throttles are allowed in certain circumastances (ie separate approval as per what Whish Bikes have done).

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Such ignorance of the law, even from an insurance company:
1. Legal Pedelecs are legally allowed to go faster than 15.5mph but NOT WITH electrical assist.
2. Motor Power - should be limited to max continuous power of 250w - peak powers in excess of this are not deemed illeagal as an understanding of BS EN15194 shows (or rather, it doesn't mention peak power, just max continuous power which is quite a different thing).
2. Throttles are allowed in certain circumastances (ie separate approval as per what Whish Bikes have done).

View attachment 51168
Well, I'm looking for 3rd party insurance and would not go with British Cycling for other reasons, but their policy states:

(7) E-bike (Electrically assisted pedal cycle) must have pedals that can be used to propel it, the electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less...

Bless, even our national cycling body is a bit confused. I know what they are trying to say but I think they have missed out a word...

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
plus insurance is a scam anyway and will try everything not to pay out.
Well, I'm looking for 3rd party insurance and would not go with British Cycling for other reasons, but their policy states:

(7) E-bike (Electrically assisted pedal cycle) must have pedals that can be used to propel it, the electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less...
It also says:

"This policy is for motor assisted pedal cycles only. It provides no cover for electric mopeds or motorcycles, or bicycles which have been converted to run on an electric motor."

I too am looking for third party insurance for a kit converted bike. Not worried about theft.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I signed up with Cycling UK. Their wording, although sparse, didn't raise any alarm bells. I also think they have a genuine interest in promoting cycling and an interest in cyclists and safety. Obviously you are actually dealing with the insurance company for a claim, but I would like to think Cycling UK have done their homework. Hopefully I'll never have to put it to the test.

A colleague did have to pay out to the owner of a new BMW that overtook him on a down hill section and then stopped quite quickly. Said colleague mashed into the back and caused some damage. He wasn't on an ebike btw

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can see it now post accident, having smashed an expensive Canbussed BMW rear light with my head and dented it's expensive hood; Cycling UK's insurance company saying "It clearly states on our website that our policy doesn't cover converted bicycles".

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I can see it now post accident, .......................Cycling UK's insurance company saying "It clearly states on our website that our policy doesn't cover converted bicycles".
That would be a worry if it did say that but it doesn't - it just just says electric pedal bikes ...... (link).

And under Cycling UK's website page here, it is clear as to what they describe as an electric pedal bike so as a member of Cycling UK and with my ebike conversion falling within their stated parameters, I feel comfortable that their insurance cover will work for me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why do you think i said all insurance is a scam they will sell you anything but check the very fine print a ebike motor kit can never be road legal as it is not type approved. under epac law and regs.

just dont crash in to ppl if they crash in to you its there problem and the 2 twats that crashed in to me bent there front wheels in half and one went in the meat wagon after i dragged his ass out the ditch :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
just dont crash in to ppl if they crash in to you its there problem
I would worry about my chainwheel breaking off with such force and speed that it sawed through limbs in crowd of people, but luckily my controller is limited to 15A.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a fs bike with rear axle and a bbs hd :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That would be a worry if it did say that but it doesn't - it just just says electric pedal bikes ...... (link).
What about what it says on the screenshot below?

"This policy is for motor assisted pedal cycles only. It provides no cover for electric mopeds or motorcycles, or bicycles which have been converted to run on an electric motor."

Isn't that a wriggle out of paying out loophole?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
What about what it says on the screenshot?

Isn't that a wriggle out of paying out loophole?
As far as I am aware Cycling UK don't use Pedal Cover for their 3rd party insurance (they do discount Pedal Cover policies for bike theft / damage).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yep its a scam as have no intention to pay out unless you meet the requirements under uk law but i could insure my bike but not with a dongle on it.

if it gets stolen then no real problem but if i killed someone and the police had the bike and dongle so could prove it had a way of bypassing the speed limit then its null and void.

same if i bought a 1000cc motor bike and insured it as stated if i put turbo chargers on it and nitro kits so its 3000cc then in case of a fatal crash the insurance is void.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As far as I am aware Cycling UK don't use Pedal Cover for their 3rd party insurance (they do discount Pedal Cover policies for bike theft / damage).
I can't find the full terms and conditions of the insurance included with Cycling UK membership, does anyone have a link? Or have you been emailed documents detailing the policy wording?

I've just tried to submit my email address to receive "Full Policy Details" from a Butterworth Spengler bicycle insurance website and got this message in my browser: