EBike Built like mopeds?

Bizdustry

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2023
Hi all

I have just taken time to review ESkuta's new Series 4 bike and was hoping for feedback on what I have created. I know this feels more of an overview then a review but I was honestly struggling to criticise such a great ebike. The bike is currently available in the UK market with dealers spotted around the states. With a bike like this, would you ride a bike that is built like a moped but is actually an ebike? One thing is that it Must make the job of Police officers harder to know whether its an ebike or an illegal motorcycle with no registration

If you have a moment, I would really appreciate a comment down below here and on youtube. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bizdustry

May 1, 2023
As its been made so easy to de-restrict, then maybe the seller\promoter fully expects riders to do so.
Good point. But maybe this is how the parts come in from the factory they order from? If they didn't want people to de restrict the bike, could they have prevented this in anyway? 15.5mph is quite slow so I suppose its a good thing there's an option to derestrict to 24-25mph.

Bizdustry

May 1, 2023
It is not a bike. It is a moped with attached pedals to exploit legal loophole. It looks ridiculous.
So for all intensive purposes the bike is a moped, but the way that they get around licensing laws is by adhering to the EAPC regulations? I do think that the government here in the UK at least should make helmets mandatory for electric bikes, especially if they are built like a moped with the added weight

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
So for all intensive purposes the bike is a moped, but the way that they get around licensing laws is by adhering to the EAPC regulations?
This way you can put pedals on a tractor and call it an EAPC.

I do think that the government here in the UK at least should make helmets mandatory for electric bikes, especially if they are built like a moped with the added weight
IMO government should make sure abominations like this one won't end up on British roads.

Reactions: Bizdustry

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I guess for some people they would be a good fit, (probably not many here !). If you were urban commuting a short distance and the limited speed in towns/cities probably doesn't make much difference. The manufacturer is inviting a crackdown though, if it is easy to derestrict. The only justification of them not being licensed and insured is the restricted speed

Bizdustry

May 1, 2023
I guess for some people they would be a good fit, (probably not many here !). If you were urban commuting a short distance and the limited speed in towns/cities probably doesn't make much difference. The manufacturer is inviting a crackdown though, if it is easy to derestrict. The only justification of them not being licensed and insured is the restricted speed
And with no twist and go throttle. Eskuta doesnt have this as this is another requirement for it to be classed as an EAPC in the UK. What did you think of the Video overall?

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
And with no twist and go throttle. Eskuta doesnt have this as this is another requirement for it to be classed as an EAPC in the UK. What did you think of the Video overall?
I found the subject quite thought provoking, how manufacturers "use" the law quite differently to how it was originally envisaged. I thought it was done quite informatively, not too sensationalist - usually youtube videos make me cringe a bit - hope it gets a reasonable number of views

The throttle stopping at 6km/h was a good touch - lets you get going

Last edited:
Reactions: sjpt

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Well - its a nicely made video about a moped.

The presenter said that you can easily de-restrict it - so we can assume some of them will end up in the hands of 14 year old children whose first act will be edit the settings and ride them at moped speeds. My feeling is that a lot of them will be set up that way and I think the seller knows that.

They are going to be captured by the police and crushed.

The small numbers that are left set up legally as an ebike where a significant amount of the power is going to come from the rider's efforts,are going to be hampered by the extra weight of the moped, and the rolling resistance of fat tyres and they will be a pretty sluggish ride because of those things. And how will the single speed gearing work on hills if anyone left it at genuine ebike power levels?

That rather large pancake motor looks a bit iffy for an honestly rated 250 watts....
I wonder what Trading Standards would make of the claims that this is an EAPC.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The presenter said that you can easily de-restrict it - so we can assume some of them will end up in the hands of 14 year old children whose first act will be edit the settings and ride them at moped speeds. My feeling is that a lot of them will be set up that way and I think the seller knows that.

They are going to be captured by the police and crushed.
Yes - completely agree

The small numbers that are left set up legally as an ebike where a significant amount of the power is going to come from the rider's efforts,are going to be hampered by the extra weight of the moped, and the rolling resistance of fat tyres and they will be a pretty sluggish ride because of those things. And how will the single speed gearing work on hills if anyone left it at genuine ebike power levels?
There is no stipulation that a significant amount of the power is going to come from the rider's efforts - just that the pedals are turning

That rather large pancake motor looks a bit iffy for an honestly rated 250 watts....
I wonder what Trading Standards would make of the claims that this is an EAPC.
I think all that matters is that the manufacturer has rated it as 250 watts, in other jurisdictions the motor may be rated 750 watts. I don't think there is anything trading standards could challenge, apart from the ease of derestriction

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
What did you think of the Video overall?
I found it quite boring. Sorry for being honest. This moped is not my cup of tea at all and probably because of that I wasn't interested.

There are quite a few things you can improve in your next videos.

I don't see it as a review. For me it was more like a promotional material.

BTW Piaggio has much better offer.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There is no stipulation that a significant amount of the power is going to come from the rider's efforts - just that the pedals are turning
As a bike this thing is extremely ineffective. Even ghost pedalling must be uncomfortable on longer journeys.

I think all that matters is that the manufacturer has rated it as 250 watts, in other jurisdictions the motor may be rated 750 watts. I don't think there is anything trading standards could challenge, apart from the ease of derestriction
Motor looks more like 1000W+
Closer look at numbers engraved by real manufacturer would give more honest answer.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It does matter as Eskuta is not a manufacturer. Real rated power is on a motor.
It claims
"250w Brushless Hub Motor
A 250w brushless, high-efficiency ‘Super-torque’ rear hub motor, you will have all the power you need to get where you want to go – and quickly."

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It claims
"250w Brushless Hub Motor
A 250w brushless, high-efficiency ‘Super-torque’ rear hub motor, you will have all the power you need to get where you want to go – and quickly."
Despite that I remain skeptical. This is a moped dressed up as AEPC. A lot there in based on deception.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all

I have just taken time to review ESkuta's new Series 4 bike and was hoping for feedback on what I have created. I know this feels more of an overview then a review but I was honestly struggling to criticise such a great ebike. The bike is currently available in the UK market with dealers spotted around the states. With a bike like this, would you ride a bike that is built like a moped but is actually an ebike? One thing is that it Must make the job of Police officers harder to know whether its an ebike or an illegal motorcycle with no registration

If you have a moment, I would really appreciate a comment down below here and on youtube. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks
The shop I used to work in sold those Eskutas. They're perfectly legal in all respects as long as you don't change anything. They have 250w motors. They have the necessary manufacturer's plate. They stop giving power at 15.5 mph. The power is only given when you pedal. That makes them 100% compliant. How they look has no relevance to the law.

In your video, you mentioned walk assist takes it to 7 mph. Either you're mistaken or your bike is illegal.

In your video, there's too much trivia. Everybody knows what mudguards do and that suspension comes back up after you push it down, and there are many more instances of you saying things like that. It's like you made it for infants. I think it would have been better just to show what it has and what is does. What about hills? How good are the brakes? How does the power work? Also, you should have emphasised that if you reset it to use the three speed switch, it would be completely illegal. You asked for criticism. That's just me being blunt. Your presentation skills are good, so keep doing more.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Those Eskutas are really quite good and they sell a road legal higher powered moped version as well with a different motor and without pedals for a reasonable price.

And they do a hire to own scheme which is ideal for delivery riders.

Last edited: