Ebike battery overheat alarm for use on glorious public transport - introducting the Ebike Battery Fire Expulserating PreTerminator Lite™®©℠!!!!!!!!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a highly unlikely scenario, but I'd feel daft if it ever happened and I hadn't made this small effort. I'd also have damaged lungs, and they're pretty bad already.

To save myself and others all that energetic running about and coughing out dense toxic smoke, I decided to strap an overheat alarm to my ebike battery when travelling on public transport. If the alarm sounds, I'll smash a window and throw the damn ebike battery out. The hammer is yet to arrive from China.

Buzzer:

To test the buzzer:

To switch the unit on/off:

This may or not provide ennough power, will have to see. If not I'll have to make a 12V power pack, or try a powerbank via a voltage converter.

Handy window hammer, in case I can't grab one of the hammers behind glass located next to a window quickly:

There's plenty of room inside the case, it should all fit in:

A velcro strap will hold it onto the ebike battery, the heat probe will be backed by a heat insulator (polystyrene) and will be held down between the unit and the battery.

The version I use at home, when charging or storing my ebike battery:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/home-ruination-by-ebike-battery-fire-expulserating-preterminator%E2%84%A2%C2%AE%C2%A9%E2%84%A0.46934/#post-708613

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's a highly unlikely scenario, but I'd feel daft if it ever happened and I hadn't made this small effort. I'd also have damaged lungs, and they're pretty bad already.

To save myself and others all that energetic running about and coughing out dense toxic smoke, I decided to strap an overheat alarm to my ebike battery when travelling on public transport. If the alarm sounds, I'll smash a window and throw the damn ebike battery out. The hammer is yet to arrive from China.

Buzzer:

To test the buzzer:

To switch the unit on/off:

This may or not provide ennough power, will have to see. If not I'll have to make a 12V power pack, or try a powerbank via a voltage converter.

Handy window hammer, in case I can't grab one of the hammers behind glass located next to a window quickly:

There's plenty of room inside the case, it should all fit in:

View attachment 59332

A velcro strap will hold it onto the ebike battery, the heat probe will be backed by a heat insulator (polystyrene) and will be held down between the unit and the battery.

The version I use at home, when charging or storing my ebike battery:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/home-ruination-by-ebike-battery-fire-expulserating-preterminator%E2%84%A2%C2%AE%C2%A9%E2%84%A0.46934/#post-708613

What if the battery in the box catches fire, then the box sets light to your lithium battery? What about build three devices, each checking the temperature of each other, or would that give three times the probability of something catching fire?

Reactions: Cyclist

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What if the battery in the box catches fire, then the box sets light to your lithium battery? What about build three devices, each checking the temperature of each other, or would that give three times the probability of something catching fire?
Crumbs :eek: All valid concerns and sensible precautions. I'll have to see, but I don't think even this small battery will become hot having 0.2mA drawn by the temperature controller while monitoring - it'll draw more when the buzzer sounds of course, but by the time the small 12V battery becomes warmer, it will be out of the window airborne with the ebike battery.

Last edited: