e-bike...without pedals

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I can see this being popular with 'city types', and other children :D . Anyone remember the sight of grown men/women on microscooters? I do, thought it was terribly funny, particularly as they all looked so damn serious!:D

Last edited:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
It would be classed as a motor vehicle, so you'd need registration, a numberplate, tax and a helmet to ride it in the UK. That might not go down so well with the city types :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would be classed as a motor vehicle, so you'd need registration, a numberplate, tax and a helmet to ride it in the UK. That might not go down so well with the city types :)
And our courts have already ruled them as illegal under any UK circumstance, so even registration for road use isn't possible. That legal ruling also applies to those which have token pedals.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I wonder where the law would stand if you motorised one of these...could be useful for people who don't have enough knee movement for a traditional bike, as has been discussed here.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder where the law would stand if you motorised one of these...could be useful for people who don't have enough knee movement for a traditional bike, as has been discussed here.
A tiny number of steppers are used legally in the EU as normal bikes, the last one I saw reported on was in
Germany, so it should be possible to have them as legal e-bikes as well. Under EU law they would have to be
pedelecs with the motor only running while treadled of course. The sort of torque sensing control that the
Panasonic unit uses would be ideal since it only applies power with each pressure stroke.