e-bike for heavy person

Corradinho

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2023
I'm looking for an e-bike that supports up to 150 kg (23 stones) for commuting to work (12 miles per day, mostly flat), budget possibly below 3k.
I'd like it with a belt drive (so I don't bother taking care of the chain).
I weigh 100 kg, and considering the D-lock/chain, backpack, etc., I can easily reach the weight limit of most e-bikes (136kg).

Any suggestions? (I don't want to buy a fat tire bike).
The second option is to buy a regular bike and convert it with a kit (like the Bafang BBS01) or find a shop that can custom-make it.
I'm open to suggestions.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Must be a hell of a back pack and lock to weigh 36 kilos when you consider UK airport luggage allowance is normally approx 20 kg.
Do you really think you are carrying 2 suitcases on your back?
Most bikes will have a safety tolerance of at least 20 per cent and maybe more.
Not sure how many bikes have belt drive but happy to be educated also.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I'm looking for an e-bike that supports up to 150 kg (23 stones) for commuting to work (12 miles per day, mostly flat), budget possibly below 3k.
I'd like it with a belt drive (so I don't bother taking care of the chain).
I weigh 100 kg, and considering the D-lock/chain, backpack, etc., I can easily reach the weight limit of most e-bikes (136kg).

Any suggestions? (I don't want to buy a fat tire bike).
The second option is to buy a regular bike and convert it with a kit (like the Bafang BBS01) or find a shop that can custom-make it.
I'm open to suggestions.
All bikes have a weight limit and 23 stone is over on the majority but Elephant Bikes

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You won't be over by much, so most routine non-folding and not step through will likely survive.

The motor will be fine, you will just be in a lower gear and slower. Only the physical robustness and adequacy of brakes are significant issues. Four piston brakes solve one of these.

Two other options,

(a) If really concerned by weight, it is only 6 miles each way, so trailer for the baggage.

(b) Probably out of budget, but some cargo bikes are rated for 200kg. Momentum more 'budget' than Tern.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper bikes .