DVSA Market Surveillance apparently ramping up illegal eBike investigations

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
DVSA Market Surveillance apparently ramping up illegal eBike investigations

"With eBike safety firmly lodged in the headlines, the DVSA Market Surveillance Investigations Team is among those taking an active interest and looking to crackdown on illegal eBikes entering the UK market.

eBike brand Wisper told CIN that it has recently been investigated by the DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency), with the body satisfied how the firm is operating. Wisper also said that a number of its retailers have been in contact to explain they have also been under the scrutiny of the DVSA, indicating that a wider investigation is underway in the eBike market."

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for sharing Lenny, it was a bit of a shock being contacted by the "DVSA Investigations Department"! However the investigations were conducted very efficiently and it's good to know that the way we are offering Full Throttle eBikes is 100% legal and above board.

Interestingly they were also very concerned about companies offering throttle kits or upgrades, then the bikes being used on the roads without the bike being safety checked and approved. They are looking at ways of cracking down in this area too.

All the best, David

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I’m not sure the DVSA going to be able to crack down on those companies advertising on eBay who deliver directly from warehouses in Poland and Eire?

Illegal e-bikes seem to flow in quite easily to the UK from China via European warehouses.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Thanks for sharing Lenny, it was a bit of a shock being contacted by the "DVSA Investigations Department"! However the investigations were conducted very efficiently and it's good to know that the way we are offering Full Throttle eBikes is 100% legal and above board.

Interestingly they were also very concerned about companies offering throttle kits or upgrades, then the bikes being used on the roads without the bike being safety checked and approved. They are looking at ways of cracking down in this area too.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
They are looking into it AGS, they are very aware of the trade in untested batteries and parts and are currently talking to Amazon and Ebay. They do say that "Made in China" and "Alibaba" will be more tricky though but through Customs and Excise they are trying to find a solution. IMHO they will never stop the trade in these parts completely, but confiscation of any parts they do find may put some buyers off.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
They are looking into it AGS, they are very aware of the trade in untested batteries and parts and are currently talking to Amazon and Ebay. They do say that "Made in China" and "Alibaba" will be more tricky though but through Customs and Excise they are trying to find a solution. IMHO they will never stop the trade in these parts completely, but confiscation of any parts they do find may put some buyers off.

All the best, David
I'm 100% behind the banning and checking of commercial stocks to supply shady fly by night sellers, But just how would customs justify confiscation of a £5 twist throttle? and who is to say its not to be used t replace an old legit whisper throttle, or for legal walk assist??
Or a 2000w dinner plate motor I may want to use as the basis of a wind powered generator project?
Or parts i may want to add to an experimental vehicle or machine never expected to meet a road or footpath ??
Ive seen a diy build of a loft lift/winch using an oversized hub motor somewhere, or plans?? ..

Talk about thin end of wedges..

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm 100% behind the banning and checking of commercial stocks to supply shady fly by night sellers, But just how would customs justify confiscation of a £5 twist throttle? and who is to say its not to be used t replace an old legit whisper throttle, or for legal walk assist??
Or a 2000w dinner plate motor I may want to use as the basis of a wind powered generator project?
Or parts i may want to add to an experimental vehicle or machine never expected to meet a road or footpath ??
Ive seen a diy build of a loft lift/winch using an oversized hub motor somewhere, or plans?? ..

Talk about thin end of wedges..
Good point. AFAICS, about 90% of the people that come on this forum and all the commentators on Youtube and magazines have no idea that a throttle isn't a throttle. Only IC engines need athrottle to regulate the power. On an electric vehicle, it's just a sensor that gives a voltage between 1v and 4v for the controller to do whatever it wants with it that isn't twist-and-go. They're completely legal in all respects. Obviously, it's illegal to hit someone over the head with one, which isn't justification to ban their sale.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm 100% behind the banning and checking of commercial stocks to supply shady fly by night sellers, But just how would customs justify confiscation of a £5 twist throttle?
the DVSA only needs to catch the vendor on some technical point.
They can then fine the vendor up to £50,000 per infringement.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
the DVSA only needs to catch the vendor on some technical point.
They can then fine the vendor up to £50,000 per infringement.
If I misunderstood, its probably not he last time it will happen, but My concerns are for private individuals ordering from overseas getting goods seized. Not so much a bulk import of 2000w motors to "Daves Speedy Bikes". which is something i would expect legitimate questions about.

The above sounds like a trap for little brothers selling off hand me down kit on ebay..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Full disclosure, I think that throttles should be allowed on all ebikes, they make cycling more inclusive and I believe safer. I also don't think we should be forced to jump through hoops to make FT bikes road legal. However we have to work within the framework we are given.

Confiscate is the wrong word AZ, but I am pretty sure that they can refuse to let suspect parts into the country. The point of my press release was to let people interested know what's happening.

All the best, David

Reactions: RoadieRoger

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Confiscate is the wrong word AZ, but I am pretty sure that they can refuse to let suspect parts into the country. The point of my press release was to let people interested know what's happening.
The whole point is - there are no illegal e-bikes in UK, so how they can carry out illegal bikes investigations? It is all just a waste of taxpayer money.

Lets assume all your bikes had 1kW rated motors. What would they do? You can sell them and I can buy them. What is illegal about that? Or selling an e-bike with ten throttles on handlebars?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
You can legally sell a brand new e-bike in the UK that’s not road legal.

You just can’t ride it in public places.

It’s exactly the same for off road motorcycles.

That’s why I don’t see the DVSA being able to do anything about stopping the Chinese imports via European warehouses.

And all they will be able to do is investigate UK registered e-bike businesses like Whisper.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Perhaps if there are problem ebikes on the roads, if they were addressed in some way perhaps there would be little need for the DVSA to get involved with any needless extra administration with importing goods into a gasping market place?

I would have no objection if stopped by a plod at a junction or other opportunity to safely do so to answer a few Q's and show my motor wattage and top speed etc..

When i was a teen coppers seemed to enjoy spoiling our evening with leading questions and a bit of bullying..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When i was a teen coppers seemed to enjoy spoiling our evening with leading questions and a bit of bullying..
The auditors have done a lot to rein in that sort of behaviour. The police are a lot more subdued if you get out a phone and start recording, and they're getting wise to the auditors, but some are now wearing spy glasses to catch the tyrants doing their thing.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I thought it was legal to sell an off road motorcycle.
What they've done before is use Trading Standards to go after them for not describing the bike as not legal to be used in most circumstances. IIRC, they made the seller contact all the customers to offer a refund. in order to avoid prosecution. As long as the seller makes it absolutely clear, there is nothing they can do.