Does the throttle use more battery than pedalling

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I just wondered, on "off road" on private land I fitted the throttle, a friend has a large hillside farm.

Does the throttle use more battery than pedalling do you think

Thanks

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
When my throttle was connected to my BBS01 250 watt average power crank motor, at PAS 9, when operated only by pedals and the motor, the power won't go beyond 250 watt input power. When the throttle was used, the power was around 600 watts. Part of this is firmware configuration which can be changed. I reckon as supplied, my system draws about 7 amps from the 36 volt battery when pedalled at a high pas setting and about 15 amps when throttle is depressed at the same pas setting.

So in my case throttle certainly uses more battery, but this will depend entirely on how your own particular system is set up, and what PAS setting you are on.

If i could connect to my own system controller, I could reconfigure it. At present I can't. I may have a bad cable supplied on ebay.

Reactions: Saracen

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Thanks same setup Ill have to look at the watts rather than what battery life is left I will change some display settings I have these on both bikes, ie change the display on the left hand side, thanks again

Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does the throttle use more battery than pedalling do you think
Depends on the firmware of your BBS01B. Here is how the throttle on my BBS01B was set originally by the seller or factory. You can see it used Level 3:

Level 3 was set as:

Keep current was only 20%, which was so bloody useless I almost sent my BBS01B kit back for a refund! :mad:

Pedal assist can be programmed to draw as much current as the throttle. Here is an explanation of firmware settings. Well worth reading:

https://edrivenet.com/bafang-programming/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here are my current settings, which work wonderfully for me. Your firmware can vary:

Last edited: