Dangerous incidents fail.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I got some new spy glasses, so I wanted to try them out on my bike ride to the hospital today. I had tested them in my living room, but I wanted to see how they handled the bumping during a ride.

As luck would have it, I experienced three really bad driving incidents, each of which might have got the driver banned, and I was so pleased that I had it all recorded.

First, a long truck tried to overtake me right next to a small roundabout on a dual carriageway. He got his cab past me in my lane, then moved right across to the curb so that I had to emergency brake behind him. Luckily, some cars were coming round the roundabout, so he had to wait, which gave me time to go outside him and timed perfectly to slip between those cars and carry on.

At the next roundabout, there are three lanes for right, left and straight on. I was in the middle lane. He chose the left lane. When I was halfway round, he switched lanes and ran me into the third lane. His only problem was that he didn't notice that the lights were red and went through.

I was riding along so smugly with it all recorded close up in 1080p, then a mile later I remembered that I had taken out the SD card and forgot to put it back in after initial testing. Gutted!!!!!!!!

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I know that feeling, although running out of battery happens more often.

The one I really miss was my routine local shopping trip, which uses a back road shortcut with a right turn at a T junction with uphill approach and visibility obscured by trees.

I approached the T in the right hand side of the lane, and about 10 metres before the give way line, a car decided to push past on my right, in the opposite lane. I held my line, and continued all the way to the line, leaving the daft car stranded at the mercy of another car coming from our right and wanting to turn left into the space it now occupied. A police car, no less!

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For something very important yesterday... I pressed the record button on my GoPro, only to discover later than I had accidentally switched mode to "Photo", and had not bothered to notice. Doh! Also, gutted.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I had already figured out that I was going to show you guys these incidents in three episodes, each one more shocking that the previous, and all of then substantially more shocking than anything that's been shown on here recently, but you get nothing now. I'll be back later after I've finished crying and after I've watched a few cat videos to calm myself down.
His face!

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
I had already figured out that I was going to show you guys these incidents in three episodes, each one more shocking that the previous, and all of then substantially more shocking than anything that's been shown on here recently, but you get nothing now. I'll be back later after I've finished crying and after I've watched a few cat videos to calm myself down.
His face!
"CatLock is a simple utility designed to prevent accidental keyboard input, particularly when your feline friend decides to grace your workspace. Currently only supported on Windows"

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm deliriously happy nothing like this has happened again...

...since I assembled and installed this:

The downside is of course, it falls upon the rest of you to upload horror movies, because my supply has gone dry and I do enjoy watching horror movies.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I got some new spy glasses, so I wanted to try them out on my bike ride to the hospital today. I had tested them in my living room, but I wanted to see how they handled the bumping during a ride.
Which one did you buy? Is the lens discreet? I've been wanting to buy one for actual spying purposes. Looking forward to seeing videos of pretty nurses...

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Which one did you buy? Is the lens discreet? I've been wanting to buy one for actual spying purposes. Looking forward to seeing videos of pretty nurses...
Most people wouldn't notice, unlike those ones with the camera in the middle.

Reactions: guerney

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Isn't it generally the case that most nurses these days have an ar se the size of the average horse?

When I was spending time in hospitals as my parents reached their sell by date, that was certainly the case.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Isn't it generally the case that most nurses these days have an ar se the size of the average horse?

When I was spending time in hospitals as my parents reached their sell by date, that was certainly the case.
There were nurses of all sizes, shapes and colours, but the main thing was hat they were all very nice people. There was one, who was a little bit officious, but for me it's a sport to break through that and make them smile, then, once defeated, they become very friendly.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I have been using "spy" pens, key fobs, watches etc fro 18 years and in actual covert use which has in one instance saved us from a £15000 bill involving the DSS.

But as for on a bike, pointless they are rubbish.

NO substitute for the real thing, and battery life good luck

Attachments

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have been using "spy" pens, key fobs, watches etc fro 18 years and in actual covert use which has in one instance saved us from a £15000 bill involving the DSS.
The microphones of my GoPro do an excellent job of recording well over an hour of audio, while carried carried in a shirt pocket, facing forward. Longer if video resolution is reduced... then it's a simple matter of extracting the audio to a new file and matching the file attribute tags.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Battery didn't run out for this one! A stern email has been sent!

That sort of occurence really cheesed me off! I mean... drivers look directly at you and pull out anyway. These days, they notice my bright headlights day and night - unless I'm feeling nervous during the day I keep one 1800LM headlight flashing, the other 1800LM and 2400LM on constant mode. Inevitably as my nerves wear thin, the light show progresses to two flashing, then three - looks a visual riot up front because they all flash at slightly different rates. I daren't do that at night, would cause crashes, despite the beams being pointed down at the road to illuminate the depressing and ever increasing number of imminent dangerous potholes. Ignore the long boring bit after the telepathically diverted cat.

(accidentally 720P)

Doesn't happen anymore. Even those twits who open car doors without looking notice the flashing light(s) somehow, idiot pedestrians who ignore the Green Cross Man's advice and walk out into the road from between parked vehicles etc.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Most people wouldn't notice, unlike those ones with the camera in the middle.
Yes the ones with the lens in the middle are dead obvious, but they promise great video quality, which is highly likely BS. I like cheap Chinese recording devices, because replacement battteries are usually easy to source. How long does the battery last? Does it have a low drain audio only recording mode? I don't need great quality for my uses of these glasses, but I do need about 40 minutes run time. I'll buy one, maybe two if recording time is only 20 minutes.

For bike video flight recorder use I recommend one of these or better (avoid any newer models which feature non-replaceable lens covers), plus new original GoPro batteries, which can be bought on ebay. GoPro battery copies can't power 4K recording, often misdiagnosed as a slow SD card problem.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=0818279023077b&categoryName=camcorders&superCatName=electronics&title=&queryID=2b4e4a08b8608a73db64f4bb79584d59&position=1

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes the ones with the lens in the middle are dead obvious, but they promise great video quality, which is highly likely BS. I like cheap Chinese recording devices, because replacement battteries are usually easy to source. How long does the battery last? Does it have a low drain audio only recording mode? I don't need great quality for my uses of these glasses, but I do need about 40 minutes run time. I'll buy one, maybe two if recording time is only 20 minutes.

For bike video flight recorder use I recommend one of these or better (avoid any newer models which feature non-replaceable lens covers), plus new original GoPro batteries, which can be bought on ebay. GoPro battery copies can't power 4K recording, often misdiagnosed as a slow SD card problem.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=0818279023077b&categoryName=camcorders&superCatName=electronics&title=&queryID=2b4e4a08b8608a73db64f4bb79584d59&position=1
I did a test of the spy glasses. The first 20 minutes were OK - typical 1080p quality, the same as any other 1080p camera. Numberplates could only be read if they were within about 20 meters. After a break, I recorded for another 20 minutes. It started OK, but after a few seconds it went black and starry with a message on the PCabout video type and codes. I'll have to try again today and see what happens.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I did a test of the spy glasses. The first 20 minutes were OK - typical 1080p quality, the same as any other 1080p camera. Numberplates could only be read if they were within about 20 meters. After a break, I recorded for another 20 minutes. It started OK, but after a few seconds it went black and starry with a message on the PCabout video type and codes. I'll have to try again today and see what happens.
What kind of battery do these things have? It must be pretty small if it is incorporated into a pair of glasses. Maybe I have misunderstood.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What kind of battery do these things have? It must be pretty small if it is incorporated into a pair of glasses. Maybe I have misunderstood.
It's a tiny lithium cell. It gives at least 30 minutes. Maybe I got that problem when it's voltage went too low. My next test will get the answer.

Reactions: Ghost1951