DaaHub

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No information on whether the wheel sizes are differently internally geared or whether the bike just goes slower as the wheel size reduces. Hopefully there'll be fuller information to come.

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
I think the future belongs to kits and bikes that can provide durability and close on 100% reliability. In my opinion a multimeter should not be an essential tool for an electric bike rider, although I appreciate the sentiment of that other thread.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
There isn't any detail bout how they attach though, think I'll reserve opinion until I've seen some pictures that aren't computer generated.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Looking at the pictures of the brake cut off switches, i wish manufacturers would start making these, as they're designed to fit the integrated brake/gear type systems.
Virtually all brake levers have a little grub screw for setting the reach. I've thought that a sub-miniature switch could be made to fit into these. Realistically, fitting a pin down a 3mm grub screw isn't really feasible. But drilling and tapping the hole for a 4mm or 5mm screw ought to be possible. That would then be meaty enough to take a pin down the centre and a microswitch mount on the outside.

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Looking forward to David from Wisper keeping us updated on timescales for Daahub hitting the shops and any developments.

David?

Thanks.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Kit does sound like it might be the answer to a maidens prayer and with a motor from Japan:eek:

Of course anything decent doesn`t come cheap I`m afraid and as many of us on here know doing a conversion is not always that straight forward but I must admit it is very refreshing to find a supplier actually bringing E bike kits into the modern world of technology.

You have got to take your hat off to Wisper for this one if it all turns out as planned.

Dave

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Virtually all brake levers have a little grub screw for setting the reach. I've thought that a sub-miniature switch could be made to fit into these. Realistically, fitting a pin down a 3mm grub screw isn't really feasible. But drilling and tapping the hole for a 4mm or 5mm screw ought to be possible. That would then be meaty enough to take a pin down the centre and a microswitch mount on the outside.
What about the Shimano EF range of integrated brakes/gear levers.
Do they have this reach grub screw?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What makes this kit special? It looks less polished than what BionX has had for years,
Looks polished to me........Plus price and excellent UK support? Is the shimano a plug and ride system...I dont think so

That the 12 ah model not available to next spring take the shine of it a bit...but there is now a lot more alternative kit coming on to the market, which can only be good for us the consumer....

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No information on whether the wheel sizes are differently internally geared or whether the bike just goes slower as the wheel size reduces. Hopefully there'll be fuller information to come.
Good point Tony, I will update the site now.

All the wheels are geared to a maximum of just short of 28kph.

We will be launching the DaaHub Extreem next year which will feature higher gearing for off road MTB use and lower gearing for extreem hill climbing to assist in dragging down hillers back to the top of their course!

All the best

David

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Brake cut offs?

Are those brake cut offs in the photos prototypes or is that the finished article?

I vaguely remember reading a while back about the cut off switch solution for normal brakes being kept secret due to patent issues, so I was expecting something a little slicker than this.

The first thing that came to mind was a little extension that clipped into the brake lever and the cable clipped into the extension. In fact this is something I have been mulling over for a little while now as I would like to use hydraulic brakes so the solution is similar. I wanted something that would be robust and unobtrusive. I had looked at miniature pressure switches but they are pretty expensive so thought the mechanical option would be cheaper

My idea looks a bit like this...

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Looking at the pictures of the brake cut off switches, i wish manufacturers would start making these, as they're designed to fit the integrated brake/gear type systems.
Hi Fordulike,

We are aware that riders spend time choosing the brake levers they find most comfortable and the size and shape changes massively from one bike style to another. We also considered the length of time it takes to change the brake levers on a bike.

For these reasons we developed the DaaCube sensor system, it is simple but works perfectly!

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Looking forward to David from Wisper keeping us updated on timescales for Daahub hitting the shops and any developments.

David?

Thanks.
Hi Schoe, thanks for the invitation!

The unit we presented at Eurobike was the final pre-production prototype. It has taken nearly 9 months longer than we first planned two years ago when the concept was discussed. It still needs some tidying and small tweaks but we now have orders for several hundred units for delivery in February of 2011.

The system has been designed to go off road so getting the dock (battery mount/controller case) and the battery case strong and robust enough to cope with 1000's of miles of mountain biking and BMXing has been a challenge. The clamp on the dock now has silicone shims that have added suspension between the battery/dock and the bike this has worked wonders. We have also beefed up the casing and instead of the top and base of the battery box being self tapped they are now bolted together using inserted brass threads and hex bolts all resulting in a very tough construction.

daahub kid crop 100.jpg

For extreem off road use, we have developed DaaBag, a high end Camel Back style rucksack with water bladder and a special home for the battery. The battery is connected to the bike through the Dock and amazingly is hardly noticeable when riding. DaaBag will be ready for our launch in the UK shops in February and will cost about £100.00 extra.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Are those brake cut offs in the photos prototypes or is that the finished article?

I vaguely remember reading a while back about the cut off switch solution for normal brakes being kept secret due to patent issues, so I was expecting something a little slicker than this.
Hi Zombie

We are still working on another solution but are still finding problems making prototypes work well. We decided to go ahead with DaaCube sensors as they are simple, can easily be installed on any set of levers (there are a an awful lot of styles on the market!). For Customers who dont mind changing levers Tektro comfort are available.

All te best

David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi David,

I look forward to see what you come up with.

You mentioned a while ago that you were looking at brake levers for hydraulic brakes. Have you made any progress with that?

Sketching out an idea is much easier than actually trying to get a reliable and practical product, so I hope the comment didn't come across as denigrating the solution you came up with, that wasn't my intention. Sometimes simple is the best option.

Last edited: