Cycle lane signs

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I noticed today different cycle lane signs.

One like this

Not got a picture of the other sort on my route but I'll take a picture tomorrow.
That sign has a vertical line down the centre splitting the cycle lane to the left as and pedestrian walkways on the right.
Never noticed the different signs and what they mean. Don't think anyone takes any notice?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I noticed today different cycle lane signs.

One like this
View attachment 58136

Not got a picture of the other sort on my route but I'll take a picture tomorrow.
That sign has a vertical line down the centre splitting the cycle lane to the left as and pedestrian walkways on the right.
Never noticed the different signs and what they mean. Don't think anyone takes any notice?

???

Just means mixed use

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Here is the other sign.

View attachment 58143
There are some like that in my town but pedestrians are too stupid and thick to understand the separation so walk where they want. Some in my town with the split paths have a raised 3" upper side for pedestrians and the lower side forms a kerb for bikes so they don't stray in to pedestrians path .
Problem is most are glued to a phone and haven't the intelligence to realise they are putting themselves at harm from their lack of brain.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There are some like that in my town but pedestrians are too stupid and thick to understand the separation so walk where they want. Some in my town with the split paths have a raised 3" upper side for pedestrians and the lower side forms a kerb for bikes so they don't stray in to pedestrians path .
Problem is most are glued to a phone and haven't the intelligence to realise they are putting themselves at harm from their lack of brain.
I hate cyclists using pavements - I almost got run over by one again last night while trudging along a late twilit pavement (not a shared path) clutching cauliflowers and pondering the wisdom of retrofitting disc brakes to my bike and... there he was speeding at me with no lights or bell. So I ceased drifting over to that side in time, and he ceased drifting closer to the kerb to avoid colliding with me. A beardy young dude in his 20s, didn't look the sort terrified of cycling on the empty road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There are some like that in my town but pedestrians are too stupid and thick to understand the separation so walk where they want
You get that too ?

Would not be so bad but not only do the pedestrians round here walk on the cycle path, they have funny white things in their ears and look intently at another rectangular thing they hold in their hand. So they dont hear or see the cyclists coming.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I should have kept a video of a dude cycling along a pavement texting on his phone or whatever with one hand. Of the five ebikes and three escooters I saw yesterday, only one was using the road - a delivery rider on a fat tyred 20" wheeled Engway using throttle only. All were rear hub motored, one was a big dinner plate, with it's very skinny rider pedalling at very high cadence weaving his way fairly slowly through pedestrians in a busy pedestrianised zone... looked like a twitching druggie. An ebike rider sped through a crowd clustered on a pavement waiting for a bus, forcing them out of the way. Another delivery rider throttled over a pelican crossing from one pavement to another. The only ebike I saw not being used illegally, was a front hub motored front suspension bike with tiny bottle battery for sale at a Cash Converters for £299. I can quite understand why some people are annoyed. Secondhand ebikes are overpriced.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I live not far from the major A&E hospital in my area.

One day I saw a guy cycling down the road towards A&E, and he would have been there in less than two minutes, in one hand he was holding and drikning a can of cider, whilst with the other hand he was holding a mobile phone next to his ear.

He did norrowly miss a van coming towards him, but at least he was heading in the right direction, straight to A&E.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I should have kept a video of a dude cycling along a pavement texting on his phone or whatever with one hand. Of the five ebikes and three escooters I saw yesterday, only one was using the road - a delivery rider on a fat tyred 20" wheeled Engway using throttle only. All were rear hub motored, one was a big dinner plate, with it's very skinny rider pedalling at very high cadence weaving his way fairly slowly through pedestrians in a busy pedestrianised zone... looked like a twitching druggie. An ebike rider sped through a crowd clustered on a pavement waiting for a bus, forcing them out of the way. Another delivery rider throttled over a pelican crossing from one pavement to another. The only ebike I saw not being used illegally, was a front hub motored front suspension bike with tiny bottle battery for sale at a Cash Converters for £299. I can quite understand why some people are annoyed. Secondhand ebikes are overpriced.
Yeah - My partner and I were in Newcastle yesterday cycling on an old tramway long converted to a cycle and pedestrian route. It is a great scenic ride that I remember exploring more than sixty years ago as a child on my first proper bike. A young migrant ,bandit wearing a lower face mask and a hood, came barrelling towards us on some sort of illegal electric, delivery motorbike, at about twenty five miles an hour. The bike had a massive silver battery box down by the seat tube and a big pan type rear wheel motor, probably direct drive. He seemed to have no consideration at all or any idea of normal cycling conventions. Missed my Brompton by about twelve inches and I was well to the left. Later on the same track some lunatic workman on his way home on an ordinary bike, came hurtling through the pedestrians, children, and people with dogs, and passed me on the wrong side of the path at about 15 miles an hour. On the whole it was a nice ride, marred only by these two crackers with no manners. I hate bad manners.