Crank removal

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Hi everyone
I am fitting a conversion kit to a specialized hardrock, came to fit the pas sensor and tried to remove the crank.Have a crank extractor which outer part screwed in fine then screwed inner part in but it just bottomed out.Looked through the crank but hollow. Do you have to have a different tool to extract crank on this particular bike.
Thank you

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I am assuming that your bike has the square taper type bottom bracket/crank. Some crank extractors come with a cap as shown below but I have seen the caps a little too large for the square hole. I always use a small m6 bolt with the head filed a little smaller. But a nail with large enough head or washer with a small hole should do the trick. It should be just big enough to go flat through the square hole in the crank.

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Evening Sturmey
I'm pretty sure i know what you mean, so just need to put something inside for the centre part of crank extractor to push against when tightening it and this will then release the crank
Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi everyone
I am fitting a conversion kit to a specialized hardrock, came to fit the pas sensor and tried to remove the crank.Have a crank extractor which outer part screwed in fine then screwed inner part in but it just bottomed out.Looked through the crank but hollow. Do you have to have a different tool to extract crank on this particular bike.
Thank you
Yes, there are special ones for that, which have a larger part that presses against the end of the crank.

I've done it by inserting a washer or two into the hole, but it really needs to be a thick strong washer, otherwise it'll bend.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have never used the company in the lists but it gives you an idea.

ian slater

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2024
Morning Raboa
Thanks for sending these,can you remove crank arms individually only i want to remove non drive one just to fit a pas
Regards
Ian

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Yes, you can remove each arm individual.

When I remove my crank arms, I give the end of the bottom bracket shaft (square bit) and the square hole in the middle of the crank a quick wipe with isoprayal acholol. It's worth removing both arms at once for this reason.

Some of the crank extractors (2nd picture in message) have less threads on them. I found the Park one to be better as it has more threads, both of the Park tools are good.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;)