Conversion kit - heavy rider 15 stone

mooo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2011
Hello

I recently started commuting to work by bike. The ride to work isn't too bad but on the way back i find it very tiring. This kinda put me off riding to work and now started using to bus instead. Due to the numerous hills in the Sheffield area. I been looking at conversion kits. But im confused on what to go for and look out for.

Any advice would be appreciated. How much should I budget for as some kits costs hundreds of pounds and this made me think should I scrap the bike and get a proper electric one instead

Also how easy is it to fit these kits myself? My bike is a Apollo Rebook Mountain bike one

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It seems that your bike is very heavy and that won't be helping you. If you have a look at this page on the web you'll see that the opinions on these bikes are very poor, so maybe aiming for a new e-bike would be a better and safer bet.

Have you got a budget in mind?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Moooo: I'm a heavier rider than that (18 and a half currently).

When I was choosing an electric bike last summer, I didn't ride conversions, but I did ask around, and the consensus seemed to be that the purpose-built electrics would suit my situation better.

I went for a Wisper, which has been excellent, but as you're a bit closer to Derby (Buxton) than me, you might benefit from a trip across to try a Juicy Bike (google for their website). Much cheaper than Wispers, and getting a good reputation.

Allen (London).

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Perfect timing - I've literally just finished putting together this guide to electric bike conversion kits. Its got videos and arguments showing both sides...

It'd be great to hear what you think :)

mooo

Mar 11, 2011
It seems that your bike is very heavy and that won't be helping you. If you have a look at this page on the web you'll see that the opinions on these bikes are very poor, so maybe aiming for a new e-bike would be a better and safer bet.

Have you got a budget in mind?
I think your correct. The bike seems to to be not very durable at all. And the weight very heavy. I really stuggle on small hills.
I think the best option is to go for a proper electric bike. I might check out juicy bikes.

Is my current bike worth anything in value?

D

Deleted member 4366

When building an e-bike from a kit, it's often (but not always) quite easy to fit the main bits - the motor, controller and battery - but there's sometimes a bit of head scratching if you want to fit all the other bits - the switched brake levers, throttle and pedal sensor because they often come into conflict with what's already on your bike. All problems can be overcome by common sense, planning and buying a few extra bits. Once you've built your first one, you get an idea of what to aim for with the next. It's a lot easier and more certain to buy a ready-made bike for not a lot more money. The cheapest that you can buy a reasonable kit direct from China is about £350. Ready-made bikes with more or less the same kit already fitted start from about £500. Once you've figured it out, you can always take the stuff off the bike and put it on another one, but it's a lot easier to upgrade a cheap electric bike with quality parts than it is to modify an expensive bike by electrifying it. I'm assuming that you're handy with spanners because you're considering a kit, so you should have no problem dealing with a cheap Chinese bike ordered direct from the internet, which often have minor things to sort out. If you want a bike from a dealer, then Juicy bikes are worth a look otherwise troll through Ebay or have a look at Sunlova.com. All these cheap bikes should be able to do what you want. On the other hand, if you want to spend a lot of money for whatever reason, then it's going to be much harder to choose. Whatever you choose, it might be worth mentioning here what it is before committing your cash to avoid any lemons.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Also take a look at the alien Aurora, a lot of happy owners on the forum.

mooo

Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies
I'll have a look

Personally the Reekbox bike doesnt fit my needs. One of the issues I find it with is the weight. Im sure it weighs over 40 kgs. So getting a complete electric bike is a better option.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Electric Bike Conversion kit 1,000 watt

Hi MOOO

You need to look at A good Bike to start A hard tail is the most common

Evans Cycles | Mongoose Rockadile AL 2010 Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop

only £179 but you can pay more and have a better bike

a 1,000 watt 48 volt kit from BMS Front or rear available £375 including 2/4 day Delivery to uk to UK normally takes 10 days in total

this company will deliver if you pay by paypal your money is safe

you may have to pay Vat and duty around £95

This large motor is of course for off road use only ( comments please )

but it will drag you around no problems

Frank

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I would ring frank and get one from the Uk with backup and make sure he sells u a ping with it and not a car battery :D

Last edited:

mooo

Mar 11, 2011
Looking at the prices I might just get a complete electric bike.
I know my workplace does a salary scheme but they are not part of the cycle to work scheme.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I was nearly 18 stone and Wisper has coped well with my weight, never creaked or complained once! I am now working my weight down (16 stone presently) but I must admit the bike does seem a likle happier:D

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Any other option on juicy bikes?
Where abouts are you Mooo?

Also, we don't like the word "cheap" when used to describe our bikes... I'm getting uber-sensitive about that term. We use "good value"!

I can point you to a number of new suppliers that have recently begun stocking our bikes that may be on your doorstep. All stock other makes for comparison and all offer excellent advice.

mooo

Mar 11, 2011
Im in Sheffield
Someone did point me to a supplier in Buxton. Im planning to pop in and have a look for they offer.
edit
Just realised thats you lol. Do you have a shop? Im thinking of coming down to have a look. Also any advice of getting rid of my current heavy bike?

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi
Email Jack and ask I'm shore he will list one for you

BMSBATTERY Xie <ecitypower@gmail.com>

As for juicybike Good reliable YES Value for money

Can other member who have one to comment PLEASE
To help this member decide

Frank

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Im in Sheffield
Someone did point me to a supplier in Buxton. Im planning to pop in and have a look for they offer.
edit
Just realised thats you lol. Do you have a shop? Im thinking of coming down to have a look. Also any advice of getting rid of my current heavy bike?
Hoping to have a retailer in Sheffield soon...

Our shop is open every day in Buxton, but we only stock our own Juicy Bikes and so can not offer comparison rides. We can supply a hill or two though!

How do you feel about your local Freecycle site for your old bike?
We used to supply kits, but found it difficult to provide the mechanical support many customers needed. I am considering a new kit which arrives in April but can not yet offer it for sale. Might consider a Guinney Pig though to help us iron out any issues... A patient Guinney Pig would be offered a considerable discount!