Controller

Ian Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2015
Hi
My Kudos typhoon bought in 2015 has stopped working, I have bought a new battery which did not solve the problem and now suspect the controller, can anyone tell me the make of the controller on the Typhoon and where I can get a replacement

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Buying parts without fault finding will get very expensive very quickly, though you have already bought the most expensive part.
For around £10 you can get a digital volt meter, this could save you £'s.
Bikes don't just stop working, there is usually a reason. has the bike been dropped, left out in the rain, been interferred with?
When did it stop working? Does the display light up?
With more information you can be given test guidance.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi
My Kudos typhoon bought in 2015 has stopped working, I have bought a new battery which did not solve the problem and now suspect the controller, can anyone tell me the make of the controller on the Typhoon and where I can get a replacement
"Stopped working" doesn't give us any clues at all. You need to be much more specific if you want help.

Ian Smith

Jul 7, 2015
Buying parts without fault finding will get very expensive very quickly, though you have already bought the most expensive part.
For around £10 you can get a digital volt meter, this could save you £'s.
Bikes don't just stop working, there is usually a reason. has the bike been dropped, left out in the rain, been interferred with?
When did it stop working? Does the display light up?
With more information you can be given test guidance.

The king meter display works ok
There is no power to the wheel motor when peddling but there is power on walking mode
I can select all levels of power on the handlebar but it makes no difference to the power at the motor
The bike has been stored for over winter in a shed with no heating

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So is it a hub motor or a crank drive?
If the former, then look for the pas sensor. This is often a plastic disc with magnets in it, mounted on the pedal shaft. It needs to be a consistant 1mm from the detector. The detector often has an led on it that flashes as each magnet passes it. This is what gives the signal to the controller that the pedals are being turned. If it is not detecting the will be no power to the motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The king meter display works ok
There is no power to the wheel motor when peddling but there is power on walking mode
I can select all levels of power on the handlebar but it makes no difference to the power at the motor
The bike has been stored for over winter in a shed with no heating
That snippet of info actually tells us a lot .
If it works on walk assist then the controller is fine (it indicates the controller is working and powering the hub motor, controllers either work or don't work their is no inbetween ), the issue is most likely 99.99% the PAS sensor arrangement attached to the bottom bracket.
Show us pics of that area.
One suspects the PAS has been knocked out of alignment or a wire damaged.

Typically check the magnet disc is secure and can't rotate around it's axis by hand. ensure the magnets pass the sensor head quite evenly at a distance of 0.5 - 1mm.
By a £5 test meter to use for fault finding.

King meter tells us the system is a Lishui controller system.
As walk assist works we can rule out a controller mosfet issue and a motor Hall issue.

Last edited:

Ian Smith

Jul 7, 2015
Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, I have tried cleaning and resetting the pas sensor as per your suggestions but still not working, can anyone tell me where I can get a like for like replacement as per attached pictures ? I have tried contacting Kudos but once again - no reply (6 e-mails)

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think Kudos have shut up shop now or were scaling the business down.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All PAS sensors work the same as all have three wires.
Fault find the PAS first to see if in fact it is faulty.
Connect /fit it back on , you have the sm block connector so is easy to test.
Does the red led not spark to life at all on the sensor ?

To fault find use a meter and probe the back of the connector with the bike powered on .
Black to red one should see approx.5v.
If one sees 5v then probe black to blue whilst rotating the cranks one should see the voltage switch high to low in the order of 0.6v - 4.3v or so.

The red led should blink.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you fault find and find it it is ok then make sure the sensor is aligned with the magnets on the disc and the gap is 1mm or less.
The disc should be securely fixed and not able to rotate manually around it's axis .

If a new PAS is needed then one of these will work but needs a crank puller to fit the sensor behind the bottom bracket retainer.

PAS Assistant Sensor Portable 3-wire Electric Bicycle Pedal System Useful | eBay

Or fit one on the LHS .
Electric Bike JST-SM 3 Pin PAS 12 Magnet Pedal Assist Speed Sensor Ebike Clip On | eBay

One will likely have to change the wire sequence to match that of the controller connector.

Advertisers