Commuter Light Deal

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've got a Smart Lunar 35 and a Smart R1 light that I use on my commuter (on bar and my backpack). 2w front and 1/2 w rear. Good lights for the money (you can get as a set for £30 nowthough just the front was £30 when I got it)

Just been into maplin and they have a maplin branded set for £9.99. They are the EXACT same lights minues the Smart branding. They claim the front light is 3 watt rather than "w

3W Cycle Light Set : Cycle Lights : Maplin Electronics

I bought a set and tested against my Smarts - theya re without question off the same production line (or the same moulds/machine tools) Everything is 100% identical and power output seems the same to my eyes

So a total steal in my book for a tenner.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Nice find, just the ticket for this time of the year. Grab them while stock lasts as they say ;-)

I just checked and I have the exact same set on my Mezzo! I never paid a penny for mine though, came free with the bike ;-)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A good price for the Main set when you compare them with the Smart lights.

However, I wouldn't bother with either now that Cree T6 LED lights complete with rechargeable battery packs are available for around £30. They give you so much more presence on the road. Well worth a few extra pounds for the safety aspect. Plus they actually light the way ahead for sufficient distance to enable you to stop safely.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
True enough tillson but they are not nice looking IMHO , plus I've got enough wires already !

These smarts are fine for city commuting I think. They cause every sign and number plate for 200m to flash !

Finally I'm think more lights placed in different places, different angles is safer than one big ol light. I've a main front , main rear, two smalls mounted on forks, one rear in backpack and a further headlight in helmet. Plus EL wire on wheels rims

Overkill? Maybe but better than actually being killed

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes, the T6 lights (Ebay) are a bit ugly, but if you need a powerful light for unlit lanes I think they are excellent. Like you say, these are probably not necessary in well lit urban areas.

Wherever you are cycling, I think this light is worth considering for the rear. It certainly marks you out on the road and catches the attention of motorists approaching from behind.

I have been considering these to make the bike more visible to cars approaching side on. It's a pity that they aren't amber though. I can only seem to be able to find red or other unsuitable colours.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
l think a hivis coat or vest for the low cost is well worth getting if you ride roads at night. Adds considerably to visibility.l always wear mine. Some people swear lifesaver.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
actually I think my lights maybe different. Look similar but says Polaris 5 LED takes 2x AA.

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
A good price for the Main set when you compare them with the Smart lights.

However, I wouldn't bother with either now that Cree T6 LED lights complete with rechargeable battery packs are available for around £30. They give you so much more presence on the road. Well worth a few extra pounds for the safety aspect. Plus they actually light the way ahead for sufficient distance to enable you to stop safely.
I originally had a cree t6 powered light on my MTB. Was too bright for city use attracting Plods attention too much. Great for out of town though. The Smart Lunar front light I have on my folder. Very nice light I agree. I didn't like the rear light and and swapped it for a Cateye. The RSPCA are now on the case:)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
The last thing you need is Mr Plod pulling you over and saying "now what have we here then! Got your approval certificate and registration docs on you, Sir?"

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I nearly had such an encounter once when I rode on a pavement right in the town centre (something I always do in a quiet back street) but unlucky for me there happened to be a plod just nearby who looked very bored and wanting to get busy nicking someone. So he clocked me on the path and his eyes fixed on me like a radar tracking a missile...his mouth opened but before he could yell "come here m'lad" I was gone for the wind, down another path and underpass.. I saw him get into his car rather sharpish and thought ay up...probably hoping to cut me off as I had to cross a road other side of underpass, but he had a roundabout to contend with and before he could get around that, I was down a back alley and crossing fields with sheep, well out of the reach of cars :p Maybe we'll meet again though, it's a small town!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
For back light, this one is very bright with two 12w LEDs. I'd be surprised if you need more.
Smart Lunar R2 2x1/2 Watt Rear Light
What are the fitting options for this one ? I struggle with rear lights - the B&M dynamo rear light (not much of shiner to be fair !) and reflector are on the rear mud guard and I have a Topeak one which clips onto my rack bag so doesn't need mounting on the frame, but it's not 'arrestingly bright' :

Topeak RedLite UFO | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

When I tried to fix a Bikelight rear light to the rear rack with a belt clip it lasted a day before falling apart ... and off the bike when I (er...) became closely acquainted with a pothole weaving through heavy traffic :rolleyes: .. Nothing mounted on my seatpost would ever be seen from behind as always stuff in the way.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I've got a Smart Lunar 35 and a Smart R1 light that I use on my commuter (on bar and my backpack). 2w front and 1/2 w rear. Good lights for the money (you can get as a set for £30 nowthough just the front was £30 when I got it)

Just been into maplin and they have a maplin branded set for £9.99. They are the EXACT same lights minues the Smart branding. They claim the front light is 3 watt rather than "w

3W Cycle Light Set : Cycle Lights : Maplin Electronics

I bought a set and tested against my Smarts - theya re without question off the same production line (or the same moulds/machine tools) Everything is 100% identical and power output seems the same to my eyes

So a total steal in my book for a tenner.
These are now even cheaper!

Got to be worth that and getting even for spares :)

Jerry

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Thank you muckymits....

I think I'll follow your lead and get 3 :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The laser beams are a complete waste of effort
I actually think the laser beams work really well. I have both the 3 LED and the 5 LED versions. The 3 LED is smaller and more discreet and has a slip off back for the batteries. The 5 LED is brighter but also larger and has a rear plate that has to be unscrewed to replace batteries,

Also that deal in Maplins includes a 1/2W rear light and 3W front.

Regards

Jerry