Comfortable saddle for long distance?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Yes, I have one of those and they do help. I recently got an old, but well maintained full suspension bike and moved the conversion kit to that (from an old Carrera Vulcan) and on longer road trips it is very comfortable and a plush ride and I come back from long rides without any aches and pains
Hey peter, I never did see any pictures of this completed conversion!

Please oblige.

(unless i missed it).

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
The Crivit Comfort saddle I purchased on Ebay arrived , had never been taken out of the sealed box and even had the Lidl receipt with it from 2018 . I fitted it to my NCM Paris Folder with a non suspension Promax seatpost and took it for a 6 mile test ride . It is very comfortable and I can`t believe my luck with the purchase , so now I have two , one on the Lanarkshire Bikes Fat Tyre and the this latest on the Paris Folder .

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Lidl Crivit Air Cushioned Saddle beats them all . It has an inflation button , soft 3 pumps , medium 8 pumps and hard 15 pumps . An air valve deflates it . Used in conjunction with an inexpensive Promax sprung suspension seatpost it gives a nice ride . They rarely come up with the regular Lidl saddle offerings . Only this week I have purchased a second unused one on Ebay . Last weekend I swapped my seatpost/ cushioned saddle combination from my Fat Tyre to my NCM Paris Folder to do a 43 Mile ride to check it`s range . Some saddles after this distance around main and smaller Vale of Glamorgan roads would have you walking like John Wayne after getting off his horse , not this saddle though ! . The Reference of this Saddle is IAN 298895 .
Exactly a year ago I purchased this NCM Paris Folder at half price from LEON Cycle UK and did a similar ride of 42 miles . After about 4 months this machine was plagued with intermittent power delivery , making it a bit dangerous to ride . Despite Emails and leaving calls on their Answer Machine I never did manage to have any contact . After doing all the simple checks I concluded that the fault lay with the Controller .
I ordered a replacement from a bikeshop in Germany , fitted it and now it`s running perfectly again , no thanks to LEON UK . On looking at feedback it seems I am not alone . An excellent little Folder spoilt by poor service .
You have pneumatic saddles?!?!? I'll look out for that.

Here's another air saddle version on Amazon:

Reactions: RoadieRoger

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
The one pictured from Amazon looks very similar and would be equally comfortable . Thanks for the heads up guerney .

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My gravel bike I fitted a Selle SMP Extra in BLUE , similar to SW's saddle it has an even longer cut out along its length. To look at one would straight away say 'noooo', it is a very narrow fit, nicely padded where it needs to be and has a nice drop nose but boy it is super comfy.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The one pictured from Amazon looks very similar and would be equally comfortable . Thanks for the heads up guerney .
This is cheaper at £12.99 with free delivery. Looks very similar to the Crivit? Ordered one because I needed a new saddle for my 26" folding Dahon Espresso, which STILL hasn't been reassembled yet, but may someday. Now there's only one left in stock.

EDIT: The saddle on the Helios looked a bit tired, so I've ordered the last remaining one too. Sorry dudes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011L7TIBW/

Below is a Crivit "Air Comfort". Looks like the same product. We'll see when the above arrives.

When it fails, I hope it does so with a big fart noise.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It also depends upon how upright you are on the bike
That extreme angle works for me because my riding posture is sabre toothed tiger like/80's racer crouched forward.

The Lidl Crivit Air Cushioned Saddle beats them all . It has an inflation button , soft 3 pumps , medium 8 pumps and hard 15 pumps . An air valve deflates it . Used in conjunction with an inexpensive Promax sprung suspension seatpost it gives a nice ride
I might buy a suspension seatpost, but choices are limited because for my bike any seatpost has to be long: 600mm or slightly less, with 33.9mm diameter. I could install a Tern telescopic seatpost and shove a Suntour NCX into the narrow end, but that is costlier, adds yets more weight, and the folded dimensions would be taller. I occasionally see Cane Creek Thudbusters made for Dahons like mine on ebay, sold fitted to old Dahons. It's worth paying the price for an old Dahon just to get the Thudbuster for Dahon, because they don't make them anymore. If the seller provides delivery (usually not :confused:), and if they also didn't increase folded bike height.

This tilt forward at the lights suspension seatpost looks interesting, but it doesn't look like I'd be able to get my saddle to my usual extreme angle. I don't need a tilter because of the extreme seat angle.

The non-tilt forward suspension version is 50mm longer = 600mm, so I might try one of these cheapos. I've been meaning to get around to replacing my current inexpensive non-Dahon seatpost from BankruptBikeParts for awhile, because it isn't quite long enough to enable my folding bike to stand without falling over when folded, and not long enough in general. The Helios balanced great on three points folded with the original, keeping the original 53T chainwheel off the ground.

Edit: Ordered this cheap suspension non-tilting version:

...because it might have smoothed out this deep and sneaky nasty pothole, which loosened two rear wheel spokes last week:

(At 2m 44s, cued)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've received two new Crivit pneumatic saddles (plus a free Crivit "Gel Comfort" seat cover, for some reason) and they do seem to hold air. Haven't tried either out yet on the road, but will soon.

Last edited:

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
I fully sympathise with you, I have similar problems.
One thing which helped me is installing a suntour spring loaded seat post not a total solution by itself but helps.
I added a memory foam saddle and the situation is better, but not completely eliminated.
I concur. The seat post spring on a non-suspension bike was a game changer.

Arriving at the other end of the journey, although relatively short - 4 miles, leaves me a lot less battered than before.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tested one of my "new" Crivit pneumatic saddles this morning. Initially not as comfortable as my usual saddle (pictured on thread), harder, but upon inflation felt good - however, I don't think they hold air for long when ridden. When inflating the saddle, I can feel air leaking if I hold it close to my face. There are two air hoses: one leading from the pump to the release valve, and another from the valve to the saddle. I think the air hose seals have degraded over time. This shouldn't be too suprising, after all what I bought is new but old stock. Looks easy enough to disassemble and apply flexible rubber glue/cement (basically inner tube repair glue) to properly seal the hose connections.

No farting noise deflation, which is very disappointing. Maybe when it rains?

New sprung suspension seatpost should arrive next week sometime, when I'm not at home. What Evri will do is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've yet to seal the air hoses on the pneumatic saddle with rubber cement, but this cheapo suspension seatpost has arrived and is rather good.

Potholes which would have jolted rudely, aren't anywhere near as jolty. This cheap sprung saddlepost makes a big difference to riding comfort. I didn't have a 12mm Allenkey, had to adjust the spring (? at least I think it's a spring) by shoving in flat long nose pliers, to achieve maximum springiness because I don't weigh much these days. I've read sprung seatposts become noisy over time, but there's no squeaking evident yet. Seatpost hasn't bent either. Well worth £13.34.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've yet to seal the air hoses on the pneumatic saddle with rubber cement, but this cheapo suspension seatpost has arrived and is rather good.

Potholes which would have jolted rudely, aren't anywhere near as jolty. This cheap sprung saddlepost makes a big difference to riding comfort. I didn't have a 12mm Allenkey, had to adjust the spring (? at least I think it's a spring) by shoving in flat long nose pliers, to achieve maximum springiness because I don't weigh much these days. I've read sprung seatposts become noisy over time, but there's no squeaking evident yet. Seatpost hasn't bent either. Well worth £13.34.
This saddle just came up included in your seating listing. It looks sort of just how I imagined a comfy saddle would look like, so I ordered one. I'll let you know if it's any good.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This saddle just came up included in your seating listing. It looks sort of just how I imagined a comfy saddle would look like, so I ordered one. I'll let you know if it's any good.
Hope it works out well but I have to ask, what was it about that saddle which shouted "Buy me now!"?

As mentioned I've bought two pneumatic Crivit Air Comfort saddles. I can use one with the Crivit Gel Comfort seat cover I received unsolicited for free, while I repair the air hose seals on the other - the combination is comfy, so I might not bother.

BTW The red LED blinky with frickin laser beams you recommended (in pic above) is really cheap at the mo on AliExpress. Still working well three years on. This one below is brilliant, and lasts well over two hours even when not on blink mode, with both LED and frickin laser beams on - I've got one on the Oxford lollipop sticking out of the handlebar. Can be mounted horizontally, vertically, or at 45 degrees - has an octagonal mount.

It only looks like the photo, if you use one at each end of the bike.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hope it works out well but I have to ask, what was it about that saddle which shouted "Buy me now!"?

As mentioned I've bought two pneumatic Crivit Air Comfort saddles. I can use one with the Crivit Gel Comfort seat cover I received unsolicited for free, while I repair the air hose seals on the other - the combination is comfy, so I might not bother.
in my experience, soft padded saddles are not comfortable for long journeys. What you need is a saddle that fits your bum, especially the scooped out bit in the middle to make the necessary clearance.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
in my experience, soft padded saddles are not comfortable for long journeys. What you need is a saddle that fits your bum, especially the scooped out bit in the middle to make the necessary clearance.
Exactly, if the saddle is too wide then you either get pushed to the front of it or you end up riding with the saddle too low and your knees sticking out ( a lot of people do this anyway) .