Clothing complaint

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I decided, after going from (at 65) 22 stone two years ago to 13stone, to get a new wardrobe in general, and as I had just returned to cycling, proper clothes, not expensive branded ones but Halfords and the like.

My annoyance is sizing.

WHY is it that whilst all of the clothes I have chosen are the same comfortable fit they range from medium to XXL.

Why is there no standard size, how can a large in one type be, in a different garment, make, either XXL or M ?

• Agree
Reactions: SkyMonkey and flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I decided, after going from (at 65) 22 stone two years ago to 13stone, to get a new wardrobe in general, and as I had just returned to cycling, proper clothes, not expensive branded ones but Halfords and the like.

My annoyance is sizing.

WHY is it that whilst all of the clothes I have chosen are the same comfortable fit they range from medium to XXL.

Why is there no standard size, how can a large in one type be, in a different garment, make, either XXL or M ?
You didn't need to get a new wardrobe. As your clothes are now smaller, they should fit in the old one OK. The problem you have now is that when your bikes break down, you will put on weight again, then you'll need bigger clothes that won't fit in your wardrobe, so you'll have to buy another one.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
You didn't need to get a new wardrobe. As your clothes are now smaller, they should fit in the old one OK. The problem you have now is that when your bikes break down, you will put on weight again, then you'll need bigger clothes that won't fit in your wardrobe, so you'll have to buy another one.

???

How would clothes that fitted me at 22 stone and XXXL be OK at Medium :cool:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
???

How would clothes that fitted me at 22 stone and XXXL be OK at Medium :cool:
I thought you chucked them because they were too big. If you kept them in the wardrobe for when you become a fat rrs again, I can understand why you needed a new wardrobe because there wouldn't be enough room in it for old and new clothes, but that clutters up the room. I'd have given the big clothes to a charity shop to make room for the new ones, then you wouldn't need a new wardrobe.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@Saracen - saneagle is just having a bit of fun because you said you were getting a new wardrobe, as in another piece of furniture, NOT as what you meant as in a new suite of clothes .

The ambiguities possible with the English language always bring a smile to my face.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
English leg pulling humour at it's best.
Hence my smilie in #2.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When your wardrobe fits inside your clothes, you know you're too fat. Having bought lots of new clothes recently myself, because after weight loss everything was too large... the sizing of shirts in particular is way off! They weren't even "Slim fit".

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
It is annoying @Saracen, especially when the only source is an online shop, with no possibility of trying anything on.
I recently bought some Meindle Respond walking shoes, but everywhere was out of stock locally.
So I tried on another model Meindle shoe in the size I thought would fit.
It did.
I bought the Responds online and had to send them back because they were too small.
So, even with one makers range the sizings are sloppy.

One thing I would say is that feet never change size, legs more so, bum yes, and trunk definitely does.
So, someone can be a range of sizes across different clothing items.

I remember when cycle couriers were the thing and you would see beer guts stood on legs carved from wood.

Reactions: Saracen

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
It is annoying @Saracen, especially when the only source is an online shop, with no possibility of trying anything on.
I recently bought some Meindle Respond walking shoes, but everywhere was out of stock locally.
So I tried on another model Meindle shoe in the size I thought would fit.
It did.
I bought the Responds online and had to send them back because they were too small.
So, even with one makers range the sizings are sloppy.

One thing I would say is that feet never change size, legs more so, bum yes, and trunk definitely does.
So, someone can be a range of sizes across different clothing items.

I remember when cycle couriers were the thing and you would see beer guts stood on legs carved from wood.

I went to Sports Direct yesterday

THREE different shorts tried on, ALL marked large, all three were massively different

Reactions: SkyMonkey

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After weight loss my skin's too large. Sports Direct can't help. There is a microwave needle treatment offered elsewhere to shrink skin. I shouldn't have let it stretch so much in the first place.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
After weight loss my skin's too large. Sports Direct can't help. There is a microwave needle treatment offered elsewhere to shrink skin. I shouldn't have let it stretch in the first place.
Never mind - in the winter you can wrap it round you to help keep you warm. If it is a really bad case, you could hold out the extra and use it as a wing suit like this fellow called Jeb Corliss.

You should really watch this. It is amazing. The guy has something missing in his brain.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'll staple the folds, cut off the excess skin to make an orange bicycle seat cover. Or take steroids, fill out with muscle mass to stretch my oversized skin out. 12 weeks without steroids is all it took when I was 20 years old, don't know if it's possible even if attempted for six months now. I'd soon die of a heart attack trying.

A friend took steroids back then, became absolutely massive, rhino neck... and now that he's shrunk decades later, loose skin around his neck drips over shirt collars. I'll suggest my bike seat cover idea. Another unintended consequence of his steroid use might be his daughters look like opera valkyries. I wish I was joking. Haven't seen his grandchildren yet.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers