Charging

Mark Lovegrove

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2022
Hiya have two batteries 12 amp and 19 amp my wife. Happy charging at 2 amps at home, but was wondering the safest I could charge at when touring have seen 3 4 5 amp charges your thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hiya have two batteries 12 amp and 19 amp my wife. Happy charging at 2 amps at home, but was wondering the safest I could charge at when touring have seen 3 4 5 amp charges your thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
The ideal charge rate for a lithium battery is 0.2C, which would be 2.4A and 3.8A respectively for the two batteries.There is no right and wrong. The faster you charge, the shorter your battery's life. The BMS will probably allow up to 5A. Some allow much higher. You'd have to study it to be sure and check whether there's a 5A fuse inside.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
The safest charging rate is what is supplied with the battery !

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Be as gentle as you can when at home, with time available. But on a tour, the bike including the battery is a tool doing a job, so pick the right tool.

If charging time is limited, use a higher charge rate, use multiple batteries and chargers if you have them. Plan a way to succeed in your mission!

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The safest charging rate is what is supplied with the battery !
That depends where the battery and charger came from/were made by, although as a general rule that's a sound starting position.

By far and away the 'best' way for someone to charge their battery is to understand the pros/cons of different charge rates and their impact on the battery cells and be confident that the charger they have is (a) producing the correct voltage for their battery pack and is (b) a reputable brand (or at least not some 'bargain' brand off Ali Express or the like)

And someone willing to get further knowledge on the ins and outs of the subject, could start with this article HERE from the Battery University (other brands/sites etc are available as they say!).

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Probably a good idea to review the current rating for your charger jacks/plugs. Some of mine are a bit too hot for my liking with just a 3 amp charger,

daniel84uk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 28, 2023
Birmingham
The best way is to find the individual cell model numbers and bms model number. For instance mine are Samsung 30Q cells which allow 4A max charge rate. Theres 6 in paralell so 4x6 = 26A max. However the BMS also needs to be able to supply the full 26A. My BMS is a JBD 80a model. Next is a matter of temperature, how well is your battery cooled?

At home i charge at 10a. When i charge away from home at car EV points i charge at 18A. If i wanted to charge even faster id have to actively cool the battery, because even at 18A after 40 mins my cells reach around 37-45C depending on the ambient temp. They only reach 25C at 10A. Thats a crucial point when charging fast, you really need a way to monitor cells temperatures and have the nessecary safety cutoffs. If you decide to increase you charge speed blindly, keep an eye on the temps.

Reactions: Cyclist