Carrera Vulcan E bike battery problems

billy boy

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2024
I have a Carrera Vulcan E bike, the display went blank and wouldn't do anything, the battery was removed and when I put it back in the end connection was arcing quite badly, I have checked all the cables and disconnected the cable to the rear wheel but still does the same, any suggestions ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a Carrera Vulcan E bike, the display went blank and wouldn't do anything, the battery was removed and when I put it back in the end connection was arcing quite badly, I have checked all the cables and disconnected the cable to the rear wheel but still does the same, any suggestions ?
What do you mean by "the end connection was arcing quite badly"?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
the lug on the left side that goes into the battery, was arcing when putting the battery in.
That's normal if you have the battery switched on when you connect it to the controller. It's mainly harmless, but it can burn the contacts. Always switch off a battery before connecting if it has a switch, otherwise connect it quickly to minimise the sparks.

For a standard ebike, if the display is blank and won't switch on, something is wrong with its connection to the battery. It works independently from the rest of the bike and gets its power directly from the battery. The battery is connected to the controller, and inside the controller two branches come off the connection for the LCD. You need to follow the path to find the break in the connection. The main culprits are often the battery terminals (bent or burnt), the wires going into the LCD or its switch pulled off or dirty contacts on the removable LCDs.

You haven't given any details of what electrical system you have. If you have the Suntour system, it's more complicated because there is communication between the various components, and there are different versions that have different problems.