Carrera replacement after market rear motor

Jul 17, 2024
Hi
Just wondering if any one has found any dealers on Ali Express who can supply an after market 250w hub motor and rim that will fit in A Carrera MTB ie Vengance or Vulcan ECT.

The internal measurement of the rear dropout is 160mm spoke to YOSE already they do not do them.

looking at the budget end really and would prefer to have a kit sent rather than buying motors and having them put into Carrera rims here.

Cheers

Baz

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Why do you need a new motor? Generally speaking they are pretty bullet proof with a fault more likely in the controlling electronics. Some more information and fault finding could save you a bunch of money.
Must say I've never come across a bike with 160mm dropouts, most seem to be in the 140 region. However, have a look at Topbikekit, they sell a whole range of motors.
Generally the shipping costs for a whole wheel are prohibitively high, it's much cheaper to get the bare motor. This is what I did with my last build and built a wheel for the first time at the age of 70. It was fun and not the dark art it's made out to be.

Jul 17, 2024
Hi Benjamin

I recently put an aftermarket kit on a Carrera e spec with YOSE kit all the way to the Suntours motor which I kept and was happy with it no problems.

I then thought I might as well use the YOSE motor as well and get rid of the joint wires so I sold the sun tours on e bay.

problem being inexperienced is that when I went to fit the yose motor the Axel is too short on one side it might just about fit if I can adjust it through about half an inch but I can not see how this is done without taking the motor covers off.
even then it may be just a bit short..

see photo of drop out I think any Carrera e spec with Vengence and Vulcan will have this size drop out making it tricky to find an aftermarket whole kit that will fit straight on the bike

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Only thing I could find was this:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I had to stretch my frame to 150mm to fit a Xiongda 2-speed motor. Unfortunately, Xiongda stopped selling motors direct to end users. Since then, they seem to have gone a bit quiet and you can hardly find the 2-speed motors for sale anywhere except a very expensive German seller. You could try emailing them to see if they can help. Bonnie Xiong is one of the family owners and she's always been very helpful: Bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn

If you want to try one of these motors, you need the special controller to go with it. I'd recommend the KT version rather than the Lishui if you get a choice. You get them from Bonnie too along with anything else you need. It used to be about £125 for the whole kit (bare motor).

The other option is to use any band brake version of any rear hub-motor. You won't get a cassette version, so 7 speed freewheel maximum, which means doing something with your shifter. You also need a screw-on disc adapter, then some way of spacing your brake caliper to shift it sideways.

Q128C cassette motor is 142mm, and there's about 10mm sticking out of the nut when installed. The frame should easily spring in the rest.

If it were my bike, I'd lay it on its side with something solid, like a brick, under the lower drop-out, then stand on the other one and jiggle my weight until a135mm motor fits. I've stretched several frames outwards, and one went miles too far, so I had to stretch it back in using that method.

Jul 17, 2024
Thanks again your the man lol

I just bought a whole Vengance 2024 wheel with a Bafang motor from a guy who is building what I can only call an e motor bike Carrera so did not need it
just waiting for it to come and hoping the nine pin Bafang motor wire will be the same as the YOSE kit or the KT box I have So no joining of wires needed.

goes round comes round e bay is doing ok out of me

Jul 17, 2024
Morning I had a large g clamp in the shed so I clamped the drop out on the Carrera for a few hours after that I was able to get the YOSE wheel on it . I am not going to use it though not to sure about it sort of forcing it like this. it puts a fair bit of tension strain on the drop out.
Also the motor cable comes out the same side as the cassette all these little issues !
The original design comes out the other side

The wife wants to get started on her Double Suspension Giant Anthem we are looking at the battery on e bay image attached for the larger AH as opposed to the YOSE one 10AH

For the cost v some thing with branded cells just thought to get some feed back as to there claims on quality if any one has used them ?

I think we will go for back wheel motor 250 W

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Morning I had a large g clamp in the shed so I clamped the drop out on the Carrera for a few hours after that I was able to get the YOSE wheel on it . I am not going to use it though not to sure about it sort of forcing it like this. it puts a fair bit of tension strain on the drop out.
Also the motor cable comes out the same side as the cassette all these little issues !
The original design comes out the other side

The wife wants to get started on her Double Suspension Giant Anthem we are looking at the battery on e bay image attached for the larger AH as opposed to the YOSE one 10AH

For the cost v some thing with branded cells just thought to get some feed back as to there claims on quality if any one has used them ?

I think we will go for back wheel motor 250 W
There is no problem running a bike like that. It won't break.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nearly all hubs have the cable entry/exit on the RHS, the only real exception is Aikema on the LHS.

Jul 17, 2024
Thanks guys
so I have started the build on the Spezalied 28 inch light weight that I will keep .
250 W YOSE rear wheel drive motor left over from Carrera build , I will use a KT controller as per your advise.
not sure yet how as to battery position and type Frog, Down tube or rear rack.

The first problem I have encountered is the PAS pls see photos.
I do not really want to use the LH side as I will have to grind off some space from the LH crank.
And I want to keep the original crank set.

going to the Drive side the sensor ring has made. good fix and it should work well here
Problem the hollow tech PAS magnet ring is not to good to get a fixing on its own into the crank.
yose one is very poor design really.

I intend to cut a piece of Aluminium sheet round to fit inside, then either self tap or stick this inside the crank cog them fix a new the magnetic ring to the Ali sheet.
The type that does not come in Two pieces KT one like I put on the Carrera.

Do you have any simpler solutions for this ?

Photos attached

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is a pretty standard split disc with a retaining clip, one can get them from a few sellers and on ebay.

Jul 17, 2024
Yes the clip makes it much more suitable .
Any way after a lot of messing about got it wrong the first time .
Its now fitted I had to cut the hole in the center big enough to go over the bottom bracket retaining bolt because of the design of the crank .

The clip held it all together just hope the epoxy resin will now hold it in place as it’s hard to drill self tap into S/S but I will if needs be .