California Police's e-bikes have mid drive motors, not hubs, any ideas why?

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023

Yet another 'hub' vs 'mid-drive' discussion, I know but I just came across this and I found it surprising that they opted for mid drives.

I've never paid attention whether or not police also have e-bikes in the UK, or any other country so this was news to me as well.

Most city rental e-bikes I am aware of have hub motors as we all know - so seeing a fleet of e-bikes with mid drives bewildered me a little bit.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
View attachment 58805
View attachment 58806

Yet another 'hub' vs 'mid-drive' discussion, I know but I just came across this and I found it surprising that they opted for mid drives.

I've never paid attention whether or not police also have e-bikes in the UK, or any other country so this was news to me as well.

Most city rental e-bikes I am aware of have hub motors as we all know - so seeing a fleet of e-bikes with mid drives bewildered me a little bit.
Maybe they have some steep hills to climb. Another thing - they may have some heavy cops riding them. Heavy rider - steep hills - you need that little motor to operate at suitable revolutions, and the gears on the bike allow that with a crank motor.

• Informative
Reactions: throwawaychap

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
View attachment 58805
View attachment 58806

With these sort of things, it's not a question of what's best, it's more likely, who gave the biggest back-hander to the guy that placed the contract. Obviously, the company that makes the most profit because they sell over-priced products can afford the biggest bribes.

In the UK, there are hardly any big dealers or chains offering bikes with hub-motors running at 48v, so if the police went to them for advice, they wouldn't get what they need, least of all at a reasonable price.

• Useful
Reactions: throwawaychap