Help! Byocycle Boxer Electrical Problem - Control Panel

Hogie

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2024
Hello All,

First post here, looking for some advice with an intermittent electrical issue.

I have a folding e-bike produced by byocycles. I believe it called a boxer, 36v battery.

The control panel intermittently turns itself off, in a random way. From wiggling wires I diagnosed that the control panel was at fault, or at lease I believe so anyhow.

I could not find an exact replacement control panel, so purchased the closest match I could from eBay, with the correct 5 pin connection and suitable for a 36v battery

The panel now remains on, I can change all the modes, but there is no pedal assist from the bike, regardless of the mode I select.

Based on what I have described, am I missing anything obvious to more experienced e-bike owners? Is there a reason why the new control panel will not work with the existing controller.

The controller is a ycsh-a model.

The last picture is the new control panel I bought.

Hope for your kind advice.

Cheers

Hogie

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Can you provide a link to the listing of the new control panel please?

There are two types of those panels - analogue and digital. They have exactly the same wires. The only way to tell the difference is by measuring the voltage on the green wire by stuffing your probes up the back of the connector when it's switched on. The analogue one has 1v, 2v, 3v or 4v depending on the assist level. The digital one has 0v. Can you measure both of them?

While you're there, are you any good at soldering and wiring?

Reactions: Hogie

Hogie

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2024
Can you provide a link to the listing of the new control panel please?

There are two types of those panels - analogue and digital. They have exactly the same wires. The only way to tell the difference is by measuring the voltage on the green wire by stuffing your probes up the back of the connector when it's switched on. The analogue one has 1v, 2v, 3v or 4v depending on the assist level. The digital one has 0v. Can you measure both of them?

While you're there, are you any good at soldering and wiring?
This is the one I bought.

In terms of soldering / wiring, I can but I’m no expert.

Are you thinking to swap out the cable from one to the other ? Or open the old controller and look for a broken joint?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is the one I bought.

In terms of soldering / wiring, I can but I’m no expert.

Are you thinking to swap out the cable from one to the other ? Or open the old controller and look for a broken joint?

It says "ordinary interface", so is probably analogue, though it would be better to confirm with a meter, which only takes a minute. We need to find out what the old one is. There are three ways: Smash it open and check the markings on the pcb, where the yellow and green wires attach; measure the voltage on the green wire while it's switched on; open up the controller and see the markings on the pcb, where the yellow and green wires are attached. Digital ones are marked Tx and Rx, analogue ones are anything else. We really need to bottom this out because if they are the same type, the problem must be elsewhere.

You have the option to replace the controller and LCD. For £50, you get a system that works more or less the same, but with an LCD showing speed, distance, etc. For £80, you get a system with a much better pedal assist function that will also make your motor smoother and quieter. It'll be like getting a new bike. Also, it gives the option of going up to 48v when you need to replace the battery, which gives you more options on how much power you can get.

Advertisers