Buying second hand - what to ask/check? (Woosh Gran Camino)

redzarf

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Newbie here, rode bikes a lot 20 years ago, now wanting to get an e-bike for my commute (only 6mi/day, fairly flat)

Been looking at a bunch of ebikes over the last few weeks. I'm now fairly settled on the Woosh Gran Camino (or maybe just Woosh Camino), thanks to Wayners initial recommendation over on HUKD.

I've found a Gran Camino available second-hand, so am thinking of getting that, as it suits my budget better. They said it's about a year old and in good condition.

- What should I ask the seller before going to look at it?
- What should I check while I'm there?
- Any red flags?
- Is there a way to check if it's stolen?

Thanks in advance!

ps. If you're selling one (or about to) then DM
me! :)

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The main thing is the condition of the battery - if you have a voltmeter, check that the battery charges to >=41.5 volts . The only way I know of really checking is to take it out on a ride and see how far you can get. I think Woosh will have replacement batteries but they end up quite a big proportion of the value of a second hand bike

Reactions: redzarf

AntonyC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I have a Gran Camino.

- What should I ask the seller before going to look at it?
Mostly, how soon can you pick it up. It's total overkill for your purpose, which is fine because there's every chance you'll be using any ebike way more than expected and this one's well up to that.

- What should I check while I'm there?
For me the BB's a bit high and the seat a bit far back, but I think that's just me. The 15kg rack has an uncommon fitting, ask Andy at Woosh if you need more.

- Any red flags?
The motor, battery and frame are solid, if you've a dreary commute this bike will demolish it.
The controller's strong but slow to respond and ticks the legal constraints fastidiously, so if you've a favourite leafy ride this bike will crush that too and it can be a handful in close packed traffic. I've bought another controller which will probably transform it.

- Is there a way to check if it's stolen?
Search for the frame number on BikeRegister and similar and search by description on FB marketplace, gumtree and similar. It should come with charger and two battery keys from an owner who knows their way around it.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Check the motor cable where it comes out of the axle. It should exit downwards, and check that it hasn't been damaged where it exits the axle.

Reactions: redzarf

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Is there a way to check if it's stolen?
The seller should have written proof of ownership - a receipt, Invoice, some kind of bill of sale. At just a year old, apart from being stolen, the other danger is it may be on a C2W scheme and it's not theirs to sell, so evidence they own it outright is IMO essential.

Before you even travel, I would ask the seller they have that proof.

• Informative
Reactions: redzarf and AntonyC