Bums board

Pogrogers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2024
Had impel 3 o just over two years now a few nightly probs but sorted them but battery failed after two years. Sent of to a place in Bristol he said the circuit board on top the battery faulty (bms chip) he said something about soldering two wire it may work but if I get error codes it knackered. Got battery back put in bike and error codes would not start up.
Tried many internet searches to try find a board I even emailed hyena but they said they just don’t supply parts.
Wonder if any one knows were to get a one.
I know I can change the controller etc but it means my new battery will be useless and I just purchased a new one
Thanks in advance

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Sorry to say the Hyena system is a "closed" CANbus system (where all the electrical bits talk to each other), like Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano et al. You're snookered in that you can't substitute generic parts, and if it's the battery BMS that's bad you'll almost certainly just need to buy a whole new Hyena battery.

Reactions: Pogrogers

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I know I can change the controller etc but it means my new battery will be useless and I just purchased a new one
Thanks in advance
BMS is an integral part of a battery, so if you bought a new battery, you should get new BMS.

Pogrogers

Sep 18, 2024
Sorry to say the Hyena system is a "closed" CANbus system (where all the electrical bits talk to each other), like Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano et al. You're snookered in that you can't substitute generic parts, and if it's the battery BMS that's bad you'll almost certainly just need to buy a whole new Hyena battery.
I bought a new battery and they are so expensive from Halfords I have seen similar on Ali express but I was not sure on exactly which to get or even off they would work so opted to pay Halfords the £450 for a new one.
I was hoping to get the other one fixed so I could have a spare as the cells are still good just the board that busted

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
This is why it's good policy to make friends with the guys at Halfords rather than shouting at them as many seem to do! They may have an old battery that failed and they exchanged under warranty - it's usually cells left to die rather than the BMS... but whether they'd let you have it is another issue... they may need to account for the warranty exchange. I wouldn't hold out much hope, but I think it might be worth asking? Or post on Facebook for a duff one? There must be a Hyena/Impel group?

Even if you manage to get hold of one to transplant the board, there's always the issue of it possibly being boobytrapped as Bosch do: As soon as you disconnect the BMS it bricks itself.

Good luck.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is why it's good policy to make friends with the guys at Halfords rather than shouting at them as many seem to do! They may have an old battery that failed and they exchanged under warranty - it's usually cells left to die rather than the BMS... but whether they'd let you have it is another issue... they may need to account for the warranty exchange. I wouldn't hold out much hope, but I think it might be worth asking? Or post on Facebook for a duff one? There must be a Hyena/Impel group?

Even if you manage to get hold of one to transplant the board, there's always the issue of it possibly being boobytrapped as Bosch do: As soon as you disconnect the BMS it bricks itself.

Good luck.
Good advice, when I needed a torque sensor for a Carrera ebike, they said that they already had some on order for other customers, who had been waiting months with no delivery in sight. After engaging him in conversation about it, he showed me one with a broken lug that was otherwise brand new, as a typical example of why customers needed them. He gave it to me, and I fabricated the lug out of epoxy to replace mine that had a broken cable. My cost for the repair was therefore zero.

Pogrogers

Sep 18, 2024

Good luck.
Yeah not interested in any help. Sent it to a place in Bristol he said the cells are ok it just the bms and there are two wires that talk to the bike he tried to fix it but said if you get fault codes when you put it back in the bike it knackered .
So bought a new battery from Halfords and it working great
Thanks for the reply

Advertisers