Build spec by committee, might that include you?

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
My second project (trike was first) is to convert a cheap (to me) 700c wheeled Triban bike to something I can use with long trips on fairly flat ground, or short trips on hilly offroad tracks. Although I'm not young, I can can cycle a fair distance still, unaided. However, two situations have nearly beaten me, so it's time to bite the proverbial bullet and start to pencil in some sort of assistance "kit".

Firstly, it's going to be a rear hub drive. I can imagine many will be groaning about that, but ..... I like the look of integrated mid-drives, but they are expensive, backup is poor, and you have no alternatives if spares aren't available. Every after-market mid-drive I've seen is butt-ugly, and I don't want to ride something that looks that unattractive. Anything with moving parts will wear out, so fewer moving parts is better. The other thing is, it has to be 'legal'. So only a 250w (nominal) hub without a throttle. I have a number of licenses I need to keep, and being caught breaking the law in any form, might prejudice those, so it's just not going to happen.

A couple of years ago I had a very interesting ride from Enfield Lock, down to Camden Lock, by following the canal system, and a little riding on pavements in Camden where the canal goes subterranean . There was a meal break at Camden, but the last few miles of the ride back nearly killed me. My riding buddy was on a fairly lightweight road bike and I was on a heavier MTB with much fatter offroad tyres. I would very much like to do the same journey from time to time, but start even further away. [I like canals.] Last year, a different cycling buddy took me for a 16 mile offroad trek, and saved the longest/steepest hills for the end of the ride. I never walk up a hill if I'm on a bike, but my wheels were full of mud and I was was worn out, I did walk up one hill. So embarrassing, I don't plan to repeat it.

What I know, what I think I know, and what I don't know.

Volts = power. More volts = more speed (potential).

Amps = width of that grunt.

Watts = speed x power.

Wah = Potential for how much energy is stored.

I will be limited to 36v volts, to ensure the motor doesn't breach the 250w nominal power consumption. I have seen motors that are 250w if a 36v battery is used, and 350w if a 48v battery is used. I'm guessing, this would need a controller capable of utilising both voltages, which I don't think is that unusual these days? Should I consider something like this for offroad use, where a 42v battery (and more umph from the hub) would be advantageous?

I've no intention of riding fast. 15mph is PLENTY, and 10mph is not a bad average. I usually manage about 9mph offroad. 250w is going to be plenty on canal paths, and many offroad tracks. Steep hills though, something else. That said, 'assistance' will be good enough. I don't need or want the motor to do all the work. I cycle for exercise, not to race other cyclists.

The kit needs to be supplied by a UK retailer. I will not buy off AliExpress or ChAmazon.

Many have experience of Yose, a Chinese company that ship from the UK. I have priced up some of their kits, and they sell black hubs with black spokes that suit me and the bikes I ride. If I'm shelling out on a battery, I will want a big one, say 20ah, although ..... And here comes the "committee" bit....

Care of Project 1, (trike) I look to have access to a 20ah Hailong 1 battery with integrated controller. The trike owner would be happy to loan me the battery (possibly) or I might not need that size, and a 17ah would suffice. I really liked the 'integrated' controller as it makes for a tidy install. Is this typical of the Hailong batteries?

Again care of Project 1, I have experience of a cadence sensor, which would be okay, but I'm sure a torque sensor is better? Maybe not so useful on the flat, but certainly on a hill? Could I fit both, and ONLY connect one or the other as I needed it? Cadence for the flat, torque for hilly offroad perhaps?

LED/LCD panels .... How programmable are they, how programmable can they be?

Sine wave controllers seem to create less noisy motors. I have not the faintest idea what this means. Progressive volts into the motor, verses on/off perhaps?

Grab a beer and start writing. There are perhaps 4 or 5 or 6 people who write here regularly can tell me everything I need to know by way of guiding me to the 'righteous path', but I'm also thinking they/you won't all agree on a single path. I hope not because we all enjoy choice.

Thank you in anticipation. :cool:

Edit for voltage typo.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Throttles are legal. Why do you guys keep saying they're not? The only rule is that power must stop when the pedals stop rotating. Many controllers will work the throttle like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Throttles are legal. Why do you guys keep saying they're not? The only rule is that power must stop when the pedals stop rotating. Many controllers will work the throttle like that.
Why would I (or anyone else) fit a throttle, if it needs pedalling to activate it?

I don't need the attention one might draw, and don't want yet another cable cluttering up the cockpit.

I really could do with some guidance (and tutoring) with my queries though.... ;) :cool:

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why would I (or anyone else) fit a throttle, if it needs pedalling to activate it?
the throttle + pedalling = legal + precise control of the amount of assistance, from snail's pace (negotiating gates for example) to 15.5mph while pedalling as little or as much as you like.
A combination often overlooked because difficult to explain to the police and most people don't need the throttle.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in the thread throttle for the Carrera, my code implements just that, the throttle takes priority as long as you pedal and cuts the power as soon as you stop pedalling. Lishui and others keep the throttle going until you blip the brakes.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I am guessing not all PAS work in the same way. PAS I have is completely crap at low speeds. I very much prefer to use throttle only for precision maneuvering.

Reactions: u1v1w1 and Woosh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I don't need the attention one might draw, and don't want yet another cable cluttering up the cockpit.
Which is a fair point, especially if you dress Ninja style and use a big box as a rucsack. So if you dont need one, it makes sense not to fit one.

However, lots of people do like throttles, including me.

Pedalling really means moving the pedals enough to activate the PAS sensor, you just need to move the pedals, no great effort is involved.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Any motor that is marked as 250w will be legal. This is it's maximum continuous rating but means very little.
If used in conjunction with a 7A continuous controller this will give 14A max. At 36v nominal this is 504w, at a fully charged 41v this is 574w. This will still be legal. A controller that will only supply 250w would be very disappointing.

There are very few, if any, kits supplied with a torque sensor because they involve some sort of strain guage. Cadence sensors merely sense pedal rotation so are much simpler. If muddy conditions are involved maybe a fully enclosed type would be better.

LCD displays offer far more programming ability than led displays. But that's a whole rabbit warren in itself.

The battery maximum amperage needs to be more than the controller maximum amperage to avoid voltage sag and battery damage under heavy load (hill climbing). The Ah rating is just down to how far you want to go.
48v will give you more torque than 36v and more capacity from a smaller Ah rated battery.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Because it gives you instant access to maximum power when you need it for a busy road junction, a short steep hill, traffic lights about to change, etc, etc, without having to tiresomely push stupid buttons 4 times, then again to go back to how you were, when you can't push the buttons in time to get the power when you need it anyway.

Also, throttle is a speed control, so you can pedal at the exact speed you want

• Agree
Reactions: u1v1w1 and esuark

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Perhaps I haven't made it clear, a throttle, legal/not useful/not will not be part of this build. I don't need one for starters. I don't ride on the road and won't be riding on the road in future. My eyesight isn't so poor I can't see a steep hill, and I want help not "full-power" climbing a hill. What I do need is technical guidance on what I can and can't do, and what can be done and what can't be done.

Looking through the government blurbs, they seem to be pretty unhinged about throttles. Not a problem for me. I'm not going to be using one. But should I ever be stopped for a 'check' for any reason, a throttle is going to be the first thing a uniform is going to be looking for. Why would I fit something I don't want or need, that's a red flag to someone expected to find a problem with a bike that has a battery?

Any motor that is marked as 250w will be legal. This is it's maximum continuous rating but means very little.
I understood this to be the case. What I want confirmation of, is that motor "convertible" to 350w if a 48v battery is connected, assuming the controller can be used with both voltages? I have read indicators, this is possible. I am thinking 250w x 36v anywhere public, and 350w x 48v with offroad treks where I would not be challenged on pedelec vs e-bike.

There are very few, if any, kits supplied with a torque sensor because they involve some sort of strain gauge. Cadence sensors merely sense pedal rotation so are much simpler. If muddy conditions are involved maybe a fully enclosed type would be better.
The attraction of a torque sensor that I'm happy to buy separately, is the assistance is proportional, I'm expecting? Where a cadence sensor either provides the level of assistance the display has been set to, or it doesn't provide assistance? This is one of the things I have yet to experience. I was hoping to get that today, but once again rain is going to be stopping 'play'.

LCD displays offer far more programming ability than led displays. But that's a whole rabbit warren in itself.
I'm beginning to understand that.... :D

The battery maximum amperage needs to be more than the controller maximum amperage to avoid voltage sag and battery damage under heavy load (hill climbing). The Ah rating is just down to how far you want to go.

48v will give you more torque than 36v and more capacity from a smaller Ah rated battery.
On a 20 mile + 20 mile ride on the flat along a canal or disused rail line, I'm not expecting battery sag to be a problem, because I don't expect any sudden or heavy loads. Steep hills, a different problem, which goes back to the benefit of a 48v battery in lieu of a 36v one, when I go offroad.

I don't need to buy a kit. As long as I can purchase from UK retailer, even a Chinese one, I'm happy to 'mix and match' which is why I started this thread. I don't know enough to shop wisely.

Perhaps I put too much into a single thread. Perhaps I should have asked these in separate threads:

1. With a suitable/compatible controller and display, can I fit a 250w (nominal) hub motor when using a 36v battery, that will perform as a 350w (nominal) hub motor if I fitted a 48v battery instead?

(I'm sure I've read this is possible somewhere. Likely a 350w hub can be used to provide a 250w rating if a 36v battery is connected?)

2. What display type LED vs LCD will give me more menu options? Would they also work with 36v and 48v systems? LCD is the way to go it seems.

3. Given torque sensors (as I understand them) mean changing the bottom bracket on a bike, and maybe drilling a hole in the BB mounting, are they an improvement over cadence sensors? If not, why do they exist?

4. What are "sine wave" controllers all about?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But should I ever be stopped for a 'check' for any reason, a throttle is going to be the first thing a uniform is going to be looking for.
From recent news footage of crackdowns, it looks like the fuzz are conducting no-load tests using throttle. If your speedo shows a smidge over 15.5mph (it will with the wheel off the ground), it's the slammer for you for sure. Life in prison isn't worth it.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
From recent news footage of crackdowns, it looks like the fuzz are conducting no-load tests using throttle. If your speedo shows a smidge over 15.5mph (it will with the wheel off the ground), it's the slammer for you for sure. Life in prison isn't worth it.
An equivalent crackdown for cars, would be to lift the drive end off the ground, floor the throttle and see if the speed exceeded the limit of the area the car is in, 20mph, 30mph, 40mph etc.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An equivalent crackdown for cars, would be to lift the drive end off the ground, floor the throttle and see if the speed exceeded the limit of the area the car is in, 20mph, 30mph, 40mph etc.
They're gonna need bigger cops, or inject the smaller ones with steroids more often.

• :D

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I understood this to be the case. What I want confirmation of, is that motor "convertible" to 350w if a 48v battery is connected, assuming the controller can be used with both voltages? I have read indicators, this is possible. I am thinking 250w x 36v anywhere public, and 350w x 48v with offroad treks where I would not be challenged on pedelec vs e-bike.
Motors are not convertible. A motor rated at 250w is always a 250w motor. You're completely misunderstanding how they work. All the rating is is a guarantee that the motor won't burn when you run it at that power in ideal conditions. The rating includes a substantial margin of error because the motor has to run in all conditions, not just ideal ones. Translating that into ebike law, you can use any motor where the manufacturer marks or lists it as one that doesn't burn when you run it in ideal conditions at 250w, which is approximately 7A at 36v or 5A at 48v. It only has to pass that test, which is the test specified in EN15194.

A motor is a transducer. It converts electric power into rotational power. The more electric power you put into it, the more you get out. If you put too much power in, it burns.

The power is regulated by the controller and provided by the battery. There is no law dictating what sort of controller you must have nor how much power the battery can provide, except that EN15194 only applies to systems up to 48v.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Motors are not convertible. A motor rated at 250w is always a 250w motor. You're completely misunderstanding how they work. All the rating is is a guarantee that the motor won't burn when you run it at that power in ideal conditions. The rating includes a substantial margin of error because the motor has to run in all conditions, not just ideal ones. Translating that into ebike law, you can use any motor where the manufacturer marks or lists it as one that doesn't burn when you run it in ideal conditions at 250w, which is approximately 7A at 36v or 5A at 48v. It only has to pass that test, which is the test specified in EN15194.

There is no law dictating what sort of controller you must have nor how much power the battery can provide, except that EN15194 only applies to systems up to 48v.
I have no understanding of how they work.... o_O

Well that's not completely true, but there is merit in what might appear to be an 'idiot' question ....

Borrowed from another thread......

I run a front Yose rated 250w (est 220 rpm) "36v" at 48v, when I had a rear (silver) 350w I did not feel it was all that great quality, the front however has done 10000 mile most on 48v. I have a dual voltage controller so I can switch out my 36v and 48v batteries. On 36v it maxes out at 18mph and 48v full charged(54v) 23mph dropping to 21-22. I have two dual voltage controllers 14a and 17a this does not alter the top speed, the 17a gives a more watts when hill climbing. Aliexpress, I got sine wave feels much smoother than square wave. The 14a is black so on hot days it can be a git, however I stuck two gold "ebay" heatsinks on it last year and it has not over heated once. Going from 36v to 48v increases the RPM of the motor, I would say there is more torque/ quicker acceleration with 48v.

YOSE now ship WITHOUT KT controllers as of last time I checked so this could cause issues. If I was to re-build now from scratch I would be looking at MXUS(front) circa 220rpm motor or BAFANG (rear) 250rpm in the 36v section MAKING SURE they are KT controller compatible, as overvolting would add 25-30% more rpm. I do live around a lot of hills so I would keep the rmp below 300 otherwise it could mean a little more effort when hill climbing that said my mate had a 350rpm motor running a max 20a controller and he clears hills well.

It is best to get your head round RPM, AMPS, BMS, SINE/SQUARE wave and Chinglish for aliexpress. took me a while and I still don't get it, but the proof is in th pudding as my setup works well for me.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/over-volting-36v-hubs.29814/#post-411014 - me when I was green.
I suppose 'in theory' undervolting a 350w (48v tolerant motor) with a 36v battery, is just as bad? I have a vague recollection of fears from 240v mains equipment potentially burning out when the UK went to 230v mains. Not that I ever heard or read of it happening.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Same rules apply for offroad unless you are on a private land and with owners permission.
I had mistakenly thought private land with 'rights of access' meant all options were open. Maybe not. However, I have been riding on private land with 'rights of access' for over 25 years. I have yet to see a uniformed person during those journeys. Unlike places where there are public roads, or even roads at all, I see any risk from from a "misunderstanding" on my part to be minimal. Plus I don't look like I'm employed by a food delivery service, nor young enough to be riding something that would draw attention.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I had mistakenly thought private land with 'rights of access' meant all options were open. Maybe not.
Well... consider yourself officially informed. It is now up to you if you choose to have a legal bike or try to fly under the radar.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Well... consider yourself officially informed. It is now up to you if you choose to have a legal bike or try to fly under the radar.
My preference is not to fly under the radar, but.... If 250w x 36v won't do the job, I might be pushed into making an uncomfortable choice, hence the over-volting a 250w hub motor query. I'm no racer, and during most of my off road trips I seldom see anyone else, so someone checking the voltage of a battery isn't really much to worry about.

I suspect the answers to my queries are buried in the forum, like the example I quoted above.

I'm pretty keen to do this project, and I have a decent budget for doing it. What I don't want, is to waste money making mistakes.

This kit seems to do what I want, but will it? Do I need to spend that money to find out it won't?

Advertisers