Brompton - alternative rear carrier

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Seems like a lot of money for something that will interfere with the fold. Also, 10kg is nothing when you consider the size of the Brompton bag...plus it's only a couple of hundred gramms lighter than the rear rack!

I'll be sticking with my rack and Brompton rack bag which is perfect and holds oodles of stuff! Also the rack improves the folded stability of the bike without affecting ease of folding.

Overall I think this is a badly thought out and expensive alternative.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Good spot!

If the QR is adjustable for diameter you could use your Brompton luggage on other bikes no?
Then we can have one luggage system to rule them all!

I don't understand why the carrier is so long? If the lever arm was shorter wouldn't that put less stress/strain (whatever the appropriate engineering term is) on the seat tube? There seems to be loads of room to have the bag closer to the seat post from that ebay pic. I maybe bias because like Cwah I've had a luggage block fail (no claret spilt fortunately).

Answering my own question, I suppose it allows a lower seat position but how many people are going to have the seat that low to interfere with the height of a bag?

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't understand why the carrier is so long? If the lever arm was shorter wouldn't that put less stress/strain (whatever the appropriate engineering term is) on the seat tube? There seems to be loads of room to have the bag closer to the seat post from that ebay pic.
I was thinking the same thing.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Seems like a lot of money for something that will interfere with the fold. Also, 10kg is nothing when you consider the size of the Brompton bag...plus it's only a couple of hundred gramms lighter than the rear rack!

I'll be sticking with my rack and Brompton rack bag which is perfect and holds oodles of stuff! Also the rack improves the folded stability of the bike without affecting ease of folding.

Overall I think this is a badly thought out and expensive alternative.
At first blush this appears to be true, and there's certainly no point in it if your bike already has a rear carrier.

However, from a root around the Brompton website, retro-fitting a rear carrier is not simple.

It requires removing the back wheel, and may require a new mud guard.

No mention of price, but Brompton bits are not cheap so I expect the parts for a carrier retro-fit could be almost as expensive.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I would tend to agree. If I needed rear luggage I would use a Brompton rack.

Tony's design is interesting but overly expensive.

BTW I tend to use Brilliant Bikes for my Brompton parts. Very competitive, free postage and excellent service.

Rack (including guard and parts) £89.99 and free p&p

Brompton rear carrier set complete with mudguard

Jerry

Last edited: