Bike Wheel replacement

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I thinking of replacing my rear 26 Inc wheel as it's a bit out of shape. The freewheel has a slight wobble when it's stationary but wheel is spinning. Rim not true either. Wheels look cheap enough at around £20 to buy a new ok one, but any good at this price?

Reading online any size freewheel will fit? I have a 6 sprocket freewheel.
Thoughts?

Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I thinking of replacing my rear 26 Inc wheel as it's a bit out of shape. The freewheel has a slight wobble when it's stationary but wheel is spinning. Rim not true either. Wheels look cheap enough at around £20 to buy a new ok one, but any good at this price?

Reading online any size freewheel will fit? I have a 6 sprocket freewheel.
Thoughts?

Thanks
Normally, the reason the freewheel wobbles is because the axle is bent. You can use any 26" freewheel wheel and swap your gears over. If you go to your local bicycle recycling charity, they'll probably have a load of wheels you can buy. used wheels normally come with the gears because people can't be bothered to take them off. If a wheel there has the wrong gears, they should be able to swap them over for you.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I work near that shop.
I put a new axle on bike as rusty but It's created another problem. The wobble. Tbh the axle never came with all the new parts I need, so i had to use some of the old axle parts like spacers, dust covers and one barring cone to get it to fit.
Think I wasted my money buying it, as should of bought a new wheel.
Wasn't aware I could pick up a second hand wheel from bike project shop. I was expecting something different when I walked in the shop as I was thinking I'd see second hand bikes and spares, but it's very high end and over my budget. Upstairs has some second hand bikes and all very good quality but out of my price range. Guess I could ask when passing tomorrow though. Doubt they will have a decent 26 Inch rear wheel though looking around as I did. It's all modern stuff.
Oh. The axle I bought from Halfords and it's junk imo. Terrible quality.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I work near that shop.
I put a new axle on bike as rusty but It's created another problem. The wobble. Tbh the axle never came with all the new parts I need, so i had to use some of the old axle parts like spacers, dust covers and one barring cone to get it to fit.
Think I wasted my money buying it, as should of bought a new wheel.
Wasn't aware I could pick up a second hand wheel from bike project shop. I was expecting something different when I walked in the shop as I was thinking I'd see second hand bikes and spares, but it's very high end and over my budget. Upstairs has some second hand bikes and all very good quality but out of my price range. Guess I could ask when passing tomorrow though. Doubt they will have a decent 26 Inch rear wheel though looking around as I did. It's all modern stuff.
Oh. The axle I bought from Halfords and it's junk imo. Terrible quality.
I think you'll find that they run it as a business, but they take in donations of crappy bikes, which they repair and sell. They're probably all in a shed out the back. Plead poverty and tell them you can't afford to buy a wheel from a shop, then see whether they're really a charity of not.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Ha.
Looking online I can get a new one for £20. I'll run this one for a while and see how it works out. This MTB e bike is related to triggers broom. Ha

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ha.
Looking online I can get a new one for £20. I'll run this one for a while and see how it works out. This MTB e bike is related to triggers broom. Ha
£20??? You can get a whole bike for a tenner. You know the scrap metal guys that come round with their PA blaring out with some unintelligble words. They always have bikes on the back. Run out and check, then offer a tenner for whatever they have. I've had a couple of reasonable donor bikes like that.

Reactions: Wayners

Related Articles

Advertisers