Bigger hub motor Rockrider EST100

Garry Hallam

Pedelecer
May 18, 2024
It has a different connector. Why do you want to change?
It Just feels like it is a little under powered. Might be a case of getting used to a hub drive after using a 350w mid drive.
I got used to leaving ihat one in a low gear and still managed the hills easily by switching assistance levels.

Then again common sense dictates that if going through the gears more suitably it will still get up most of the hills I will encounter whilst using less battery power.

It is just a difference between the two that I may have to get used too.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It Just feels like it is a little under powered. Might be a case of getting used to a hub drive after using a 350w mid drive.
I got used to leaving ihat one in a low gear and still managed the hills easily by switching assistance levels.

Then again common sense dictates that if going through the gears more suitably it will still get up most of the hills I will encounter whilst using less battery power.

It is just a difference between the two that I may have to get used too.
hanging the motor to a 1000w one won't give you any more power. How much power you get from the motor is decided by the controller, so if you need more power, that's what you need to change.

Your controller sits in the compartment at the bottom of the battery. It's probably sealed and potted, so there's not much you can do except replace it with a Chinese one and re-wire the whole bike. The battery has extra wires to it, which normally means comms, so even that might not work.

If you can get inside the controller, you can change the value of the shunt, which will cause it to allow more power. You can normally go up about 30% without problems.

Basically, you have a proprietary bike with proprietary parts, which makes changing things really tricky. That's why I always recommend that if you want that type of bike, you should get a standard Chinese one, where you can hack, change and upgrade everything.

Garry Hallam

Pedelecer
May 18, 2024
hanging the motor to a 1000w one won't give you any more power. How much power you get from the motor is decided by the controller, so if you need more power, that's what you need to change.

Your controller sits in the compartment at the bottom of the battery. It's probably sealed and potted, so there's not much you can do except replace it with a Chinese one and re-wire the whole bike. The battery has extra wires to it, which normally means comms, so even that might not work.

If you can get inside the controller, you can change the value of the shunt, which will cause it to allow more power. You can normally go up about 30% without problems.

Basically, you have a proprietary bike with proprietary parts, which makes changing things really tricky. That's why I always recommend that if you want that type of bike, you should get a standard Chinese one, where you can hack, change and upgrade everything.
Thanks for the info. I had read some articles online that had suggested that they were tough to hack. I think that for the duration of the 2 year warranty I will leave well alone.

The Engineer at Decathlon did say that there is some kind of chip that he sometimes sees installed on the bikes that is pretty much ignored when they come in for service.
Last week I also met a chap on the Canal path who claimed that he had one fitted on his mid drive, therefore their must be a mod for more power or speed.

However like I mentioned earlier, I really think I can get used to going through the gears to make this bike work.

My main reason for buying this bike was because I felt more confidant in the safety of the batterys over the Chinese offerings?

Last edited:

Garry Hallam

Pedelecer
May 18, 2024
There's nothing wrong with Chinese batteries, and they're cheap and easy to replace.
Looks like I will be returning to a Chinese battery after all.

After doing 3 trips of around 27 miles on this bike I feel the need to go back to a bafang mid drive and ordered a 250w 36v kit from amazon. I want it to be road legal to insure it.

It will be going on an original model Voodoo Bantu with 20" frame and 26" wheels that I bought second hand. It was advertised as like new and it certainly was. It looks like it has probably only been used a handfull of times.

Will post some pictures once it is complete.

Related Articles

Advertisers