Big Bear Replacement?

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
Hello again.

The inexorable march of time is pushing me in the direction of a step through bike.

Having been happy with my Big Bear for about seven years, I began to look at the Santana 3. However, I was told that its motor is less powerful than that of the Big Bear and that it cannot be used with just the throttle.

I need both of those if I am to get out of Cowes, due to the hills.

Can you recommend a suitable machine for me please?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Santana3 has a throttle but it needs a bit of pedalling first, about 1-2 seconds to activate it. Afterwards, it's like the Big Bear. I have the ideal replacement for the Big Bear in Southend-On-Sea, but isn't in production yet. It has the 48v ananda crank motor.

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
The Santana3 has a throttle but it needs a bit of pedalling first, about 1-2 seconds to activate it. Afterwards, it's like the Big Bear. I have the ideal replacement for the Big Bear in Southend-On-Sea, but isn't in production yet. It has the 48v ananda crank motor.
Thanks.
Andy told me all about that throttle.

Is the new one a step through?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if it's just the throttle issue, Andy can reprogram the throttle on the Santana3 with the Big Bear code so that it behaves exactly the same way.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Swap the motors over ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well, thanks, but Andy told me that the motor is weaker, making me concerned about actually being able to get around our island, due to the hills.
the motor is only slightly weaker, 18A instead of 20A but the grip is better because it's the rear wheel so you get practically the same push.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did you ask him?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can buy a stepthrough bike and transfer all the BigBear stuff to it, which would save a lot of money. It's all standardstuff that can be fitted to any standard bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh