Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi cwah

There is a foldable version so you can consider that

Search xtracycle

Pat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-trikes like this are road legal and classed as an e-tricycle if the total weight is under 60 kilos in the UK. Over that and it has to be registered and type approved as a motor tricycle.

It in fact has a sidecar and those should be on the left of the bike in the UK of course, though being on the right wouldn't ban it here.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes there is also the xtracycle sidecar:

I'm however not sure it's going to work really well.. And doesn't look very safe either!

Flecc, why is it illegal to have someone standing on a small scooter, and legal to have someone standing on a tricycle?

D

Deleted member 4366

Right hand sidecars are illegal on motorcycles in the uk, but not in France. I don't know if that rule applies to bicycles and electric bikes.

One thing, though. They're not more stable than a bicycle. They topple when you steer towards the sidecar if you're not experienced. Also, you have to turn the handlebars the opposite way to turn compared with a normal bike, which makes you crash at the first corner if you don't know about it.

Reactions: bigroy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes there is also the xtracycle sidecar:

I'm however not sure it's going to work really well.. And doesn't look very safe either!

Flecc, why is it illegal to have someone standing on a small scooter, and legal to have someone standing on a tricycle?
Banking bicycle sidecars work quite well in fact, and are arguably easier to ride with than rigidly fixed ones, which suffer the handling disadvantages that d8veh has described above.

Here is a design for one with all build details on this link as well.

As far as I know it's not legal to have someone standing on a tricycle either.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhandy
D

Deleted member 4366

It's all to do with gyroscopics,where motion happens at right-angles to the direction of the force. Ride your bike in a straight line with one thumb behind each handlebar, Then push forward with one, and see which way you turn. Surprise, surprise!

When you have a tricycle, the third wheel stops the precession due to the gyroscopic force, so your bike will turn in the direction that you push the bars.

There's something about it here, although it's est to try what I suggest above to understand what happens and how you steer a bicycle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Right, I gave it a try.

Its quite fortunate for me that my neighbours already consider me a little eccentiric, because otherwise they would have questioned my actions.

Had I been asked, I would have answered truthfully 'I'm just checking which way around the steering works on my bike'.

Anyway, I can confirm that the 'steer right to go left' thing is true, however most of it is controlled by your backside. I was unable to prevent my own sizable posterior from taking over each time I put an input into the steering.

I guess thats the point: On a three wheeler your arse has no control over balance.

I have only ridden a three wheeler once, one of those Honda trikes that preceeded quad bikes. I crashed it quite badly. So badly in fact that it also ran me over. Twice.

Reactions: hech and jackhandy

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Right, I gave it a try.

Its quite fortunate for me that my neighbours already consider me a little eccentiric, because otherwise they would have questioned my actions.

I have only ridden a three wheeler once, one of those Honda trikes that preceeded quad bikes. I crashed it quite badly. So badly in fact that it also ran me over. Twice.
:):):D:D:p:p

What can one say?... Twice!

You're obviously a man of some substance, Mike:
Only the rich are regarded as eccentric - the rest of the Hoy-Poloy are merely a bunch of Nutters :cool:

Reactions: Alan Quay

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
[quote="d8veh, post: 209895,

One thing, though. They're not more stable than a bicycle. They topple when you steer towards the sidecar if you're not experienced. Also, you have to turn the handlebars the opposite way to turn compared with a normal bike, which makes you crash at the first corner if you don't know about it.[/quote]

or drive straight through a roundabout like my mate did on my Triumph combo. :eek:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
or drive straight through a roundabout like my mate did on my Triumph combo. :eek:
Cor - That reminded me of when my dopey brother-in-law jumped on a Triumph Trophy combo...
And leant gently toward the sidecar to turn the first corner :rolleyes:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
That happened with me on my brothers outfit on Broad st in Birmingham:eek:
I learnt from that:D