Battery Price Register

C

Cyclezee

I wonder if it might be a good idea for someone, an independent non trade member, to compile an up-dateable register of the cost of replacement batteries for members, or guests for that matter, to refer to.

It would be useful for those considering buying a bike so that they can factor in the replacement cost.

Would anyone like to take on that task?

It would need to be updated say every 3 months.

Just an idea.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
We call that in the business a competitive shop to know what your other traders are selling their products at so you can under cut them or beat them.

Good for members and traders alike to get the best prices.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi John, The members bikes spreadsheet has a column for battery cost. I have recently be playing with google sites which has a spreadsheet "gadget" which means anyone can look at the spreadsheet without having to have a google account. I should also be able to provide different views which will make it easier to filter the various categories of information ... Try this for starters:
https://sites.google.com/site/membersbikes/

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are problems I see in keeping a register like this up to date. One is that many suppliers don't publish their battery prices online, even well known ones like Wisper for example. Another is the fact that price fixing is illegal so suppliers' RRPs can be varied when dealers are in the supply chain, Giant being just one example of this.

And as for the Panasonic unit bikes, it's a nightmare. There's old fitting and new fitting 8 Ah by Panasonic, plus new fitting 8 Ah from Kalkhoff-BMZ. There's 10 Ah and and it's 12 Ah replacement from Panasonic, plus 12 Ah from Kalkhoff-BMZ. There's 15 Ah and its replacement 16 Ah from Panasonic, both of which will only fit a modified unit version, and there's 18 Ah and now 24 Ah from Kalkhoff-BMZ with bigger ones from Panasonic as well to come.

C

Cyclezee

I can see that a register would be of limited value if a lot of prices are not in the public domain, but the those that are could added for anyone to see in one location.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I can see that a register would be of limited value if a lot of prices are not in the public domain, but the those that are could added for anyone to see in one location.
I think what I am proposing is of real value. A list of batteries that members own or have owned. If you own a battery then you are very likely to know what a replacement will cost. I certainly do! .. One of mine is coming to the end of its declared life and I'm looking to borrow some dosh off my son again! ...
unless I can start selling Balsa wood planes or snakes on a stick off the "back" of my bike ...
Maintaining the members bikes list is not easy but a least its doable. Lets see how I get on with a new thread "Your battery details and cost of replacement!

Dreamer

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2012
Bonny Scotland
Tis a nice idea but most bike manufacturers want to sell you the bike first. I recon some batteries are way overpriced but its a touchy topic in my opinion. I remember reading a post by flecc i think (one smart gentleman) about terminals, types, BMS... so its hard to say about the quality of a battery and how much it is worth without going into alot oh detail on its spec/build/amount of charges/guarantee etc.

Cant see this one happening tbh. Showing a price only can be deceptive. Though im not an expert just my few pence worth.