Battery indicator/voltage

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi All,

My display indicates battery is low and in need of charging. Voltage shows 25.6. I recall a setting which cuts at 20. Pic attached. It's a 24v bike.

Based on this information, would the battery cut out when the voltage drops to 20 or less?

Also, is it ok to charge now or could I get another ride out of it before charging?

Ps. What does TTM stand for? (Top right-hand corner in picture)

Attachments

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Charge your battery please. You should avoid discharging it completely.
20V is far to low for 36V battery.

Edit: sorry, I missed that it is 24V battery, so scratch my comment above.

My advice - time to upgrade.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Charge your battery please. You should avoid discharging it completely.
20V is far to low for 36V battery.

Edit: sorry, I missed that it is 24V battery, so scratch my comment above.

My advice - time to upgrade.
"Time to upgrade" - why?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
To get something with more oomph. Did you consider 48V system?
The bike packs a punch: it's very nippy at junctions and keeps up with traffic - perfect for my needs. I already upgraded my battery to 17.5ah to give me more range. No, I haven't considered 48v - how would it improve on what I already have?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You'll get more kick out a 48v, but if you don't need it there is no reason not to stay with what you've got.

The battery indicator is odd; I'd expect it to show low battery with the volts somewhere about 20v.
I suggest you take the battery off and test the voltage with a meter.

I'd definitely charge before riding it again. It's bad for a battery to get fully depleted. If the top bar is correct (and the voltage display wrong) you will run out of battery pretty soon. You can always charge earlier; I tend to recharge when battery shows to about 1/2; I don't have voltage display on either our sole or tandem. If you aren't going to use the bike for a week or more don't charge to full and leave it, that will shorten battery life.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi All,

My display indicates battery is low and in need of charging. Voltage shows 25.6. I recall a setting which cuts at 20. Pic attached. It's a 24v bike.

Based on this information, would the battery cut out when the voltage drops to 20 or less?

Also, is it ok to charge now or could I get another ride out of it before charging?

Ps. What does TTM stand for? (Top right-hand corner in picture)
The ideal low voltage setting would be 21.7v. Your LCD looks about right. You've used about 60% of your battery and it's showing one bar.

TTM is just the total time that you've been using the bike since you fitted the LCD. I think it only counts when the bike is moving, but I'm not sure. Somebody needs to test it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will get away with 21v lvc but typically as mentioned 21.7 v is 3.1v per cell group.
The 20v lvc setting one is talking of is C12 /4, one can alter the LVC higher or lower . C12/7 will change the LVC to 21.5v.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
One will get away with 21v lvc but typically as mentioned 21.7 v is 3.1v per cell group.
The 20v lvc setting one is talking of is C12 /4, one can alter the LVC higher or lower . C12/7 will change the LVC to 21.5v.
Thanks, I'll change it Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Changing the LVC of the controller/display is a fail safe as the battery may already be a bit higher but that all depends on the BMS specs.