Battery Charger ???

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi All.I have a bit of a problem in that when I plug in my charger all it does is keep clicking and changing from green to red continuously every 1 1/2 seconds but I don't think its putting any charge into the battery as when I come to a hill it cuts out but will continue if I turn it off and then on again only to be repeated again !!!.The Battery is a 36v 17amp off of a Freego Eagle and is about 3 years old and when it was last tested it still held about 14amps !! any ideas please.
Regards Steve

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Yep first thing is dont keep trying to run that battery like that, if its flat you will knacker it. The bms could shut it down due to low voltage, when the voltage return the bike will work but you will just cause damage.
So test the charger it should be putting out about 42 volts I think, if not try anther one would be my guess.
Come back once you have tested voltage on charger with a multi meter.

Also test the battery see what volts its showing at the main terminals.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More than one possibility, but first can you measure the battery voltage at present? That will help point in the right direction.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Sorry Flecc. Don't know how I've got a multi-metre but it might just as well be written in Swahili for me !!!! but will get the charger checked tomorrow.
Regards Steve

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't find the cause of the problem without a voltmeter unless you're lucky. I can guess that the csuse lies in the bsttery rather than the charger. Check the battery charge fuse first, which may be inside if not accessible from the outside.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry Flecc. Don't know how I've got a multi-metre but it might just as well be written in Swahili for me !!!! but will get the charger checked tomorrow.
Regards Steve
As you seem to have a multimeter, depending on it's type, switch it on and switch to V or Volts DC on a range that includes 40 volts and then apply the two probes to the two battery contact points where it connects to the bike. It will then show the voltage number.

If it's an old meter type with a scale and meter needle, switch it to volts DC on a range that includes 36 volts, then apply the probes to the battery contacts and read the point of the volts scale where the needle is to get the number of volts.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
If the battery has an "on" switch, switch it on before taking readings.
Taking the readings after charging, then an hour later may also help.

Bob

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi All.I have indeed found the problem the battery was knackered ????? it was over 3 years old and I've done at leased10000 miles on it so cant be bad I suppose!! I had it tested at Axess bikes in Honiton who are the main dealers and it should have put out 40volts for 260mins but mine managed 40volts for 1 min then decreased to 30volts after 6mins and then died just like me when I to fork out 450quid for a new one but better than 650quid they were a couple of months ago.But thanks to all who replied.
Regards Steve.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
For me, you either have:
- 1 to few damaged cells. During charge your damaged cells reach immediately high voltage cut off. So charger stops. Then cell drop back to "charge" voltage (ie: < 4.1V). Then charger starts again to charge, and cells reach high voltage cut-off
- Or your whole pack is getting old and most of your cells have very high resistance. So again, small currently directly trip the high voltage cut-off

Most probably a damaged cell, you need to check cells voltage during charge. Either with a cell log for less hassle, or a voltmeter but it's going to be a bit hard as you won't know initially which cells trip the high voltage cut off