Bafang Mid-drive

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Finished and tested at last. It gets me (100kg) up our 1 in 4 test hill without pedaling in 1st gear. It rides just like a normal bike except that when the pedaling gets a bit hard, you open the throttle a bit and it then it becomes a lot easier. It has a double free-wheel on the motor, so there's no noticeable drag when pedaling unassisted. The chain is tensioned by sliding the whole assembly up the down-tube. If it's not fairly tight it does the odd jump on the motor sprocket so I'll be fitting a tensioner next week to get more wrap-around the sprocket. I still haven't figured out how to get a pedal sensor, so works on throttle only. I bought the motor kit from EVassemble.com about 6 months ago when they were a bit cheaper. it was about £150 then. The bike was £15 from Facebook ads and I spent about £50 on bits and pieces and the Rockshocks Dart 3 forks were £70. Uses 36v Lipos £104 for 4 packs to give 10.4aH. So that's about £400 total. Now back to my prgramable controller interface - my only outstanding project.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice job d8veh, very much suits that chunky frame style. That excellent climb performance is what so many want from e-bikes but rarely get from commercial products, so I think there's going to be plenty of interest with not only Kitchenman wanting to follow your lead.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
d8veh, as always , an inspiration to others...

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
That's great.

So when will you be making the mounting kits and motor freewheel conversion parts available :)

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Cool bit of engineering I like it. Is the freewheel on the motor just a normal bike freewheel like would be used on a bmx?

I have imagined configurations like that a bit myself, one possible issue I thought might happen is the pedal on the lh side might unthread itself - though I sppose you can always just put some threadlock on it if it does this.

Did you have to modify the chainstay on the lh side to make clearance for the chainwheel? or is it a bb with an extended axle?

Thanks for sharing this, I have some radical projects myself in progress, in due time I will post them when I get more done :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
d8aveh - now that is impressive. I wondered what happened to the project! Well done:)

John

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi oigoi/d8aveh, Do you (or anyone else!) know what disc hubs can be taken apart so that I can use the disc brake housing plate? ...
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, so it's difficult to advise. I used a pressed steel BMX non disc rear hub. If you look in the folder in my Photobucket, you can see how I did it. There's also some other photos there.
Bafang Crank drive pictures by d8veh - Photobucket
I had to turn back the bit behind the thread on a centre -lathe to get the sprocket closer to the motor. Everything else is made with hand tools and a mig-welder with bits I had lying around.
I won't be making any kits, unfortunately, because I don't have enough stuff and every bike frame is different.
After more testing I found that the chain jumps on the sprocket if you go uphill in a high gear at WOT, so It definitely needs a tensioner. I've got one now that should do the job. I think it's off a hib-gear bike.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
That's fine. All clear. My project involves a front hub non-disc Tonxgin and an adapter plate attached to the spoke holes which needs to have the disc plate mounting which I am going to bolt my sprockets to. I could get a disc hub and hacksaw it off or if there are hubs which can be stripped down I could get one of them ...

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Alan I don't know if this is of any help? it's a website selling sprockets that bolt on to brake disc mounting holes:

VeloSolo Shop - Disc Hub Mount Cogs and Accessories

Also something that may be of help to know is that a lh bottom bracket bearing cup has the same thread as the inside of a single speed freewheel, I have used this on one of my creations to mount a freewheel (a work in progress..... )

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Alan I don't know if this is of any help? it's a website selling sprockets that bolt on to brake disc mounting holes:
VeloSolo Shop - Disc Hub Mount Cogs and Accessories
Also something that may be of help to know is that a lh bottom bracket bearing cup has the same thread as the inside of a single speed freewheel, I have used this on one of my creations to mount a freewheel (a work in progress..... )
Thanks. Yes. catsnapper put me onto velosolo when I was trying to id the spockets in one of the photos from the german forum. Later, I found the bolt on sprockets! I placed my order yesterday for sprockets and bolts (30 quid) ...felt good spending money on my project ... went to bed relaxed but am up again with head spinning with thoughts of using a pair of Disc Rotors for my adapter plate. One attached to the inside surface of the spoke hole "rim" and the other lined up about 20 mm down the axle. Just need to get some with enough holes or stays I can make holes in ... may not even have to use the spoke holes (if your following any of this! ..)

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I think I get the general idea of what you are trying to achieve from looking at other threads. Hope it comes together :)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Nice job, Nice to see you've got it all up and working.
Its great you've even managed to test it and so far so good. Not real hitches at all.

Has it also made much difference to your top speed given that the motor can now drive through the gears?

Any who very neatly done and about as simple as a hub motor can be with it driving through the gears. Wonder it there will be any long issues with running a sprocket on the disk brake fitments.

regards
Scott

D

Deleted member 4366

Scotty, The motor sprocket is 16 teeth and gives a cadence of 88 without load. I have a different gear-set on the back now, but with the old gear set I did about 15mph in top at my cruising cadence of 70. I think that the new top gear is quite a bit higher, so I guess that the top speed would be about 18-20mph in 3rd from top on the flat and with the wind behind or down-hill, it should be a lot higher, but I tend to use the motor only to help me uphill like you.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Brilliant tinkering as usual! I guess it's important to match the gearing on the motor side with efficiency while not labouring your legs or spinning them to quickly.

So all the advantages of crank drive while still keeping a low centre of gravity should make for a nice ride.

Really well done it's nice to see another one of your interesting and informative posts!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just move it down a bit,wrap it round the crank,add some good sensors and software and you have the product that everbody is looking for,put patent applied for and then off to Asia to make your fortune...if only it was that easy!
Dave
KudosCycles

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Neat, just need to add some carbon fibre somewhere to give it that finished look like our German Pedelec friends! :D

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Very good, crude chain tension but very functional with the spring giving it an auto adjustment.
Like it!
A cover would also lower the maintenance on a chain system too.
Either way its great.