Article: Stephen Britt talks to Pedelecs about his electric pedal invention

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Stephen estimated 100W power assistance.
Assume that each down stroke will take about 1 second (30 rpm).
Thus:
Torque = (100 W / 2 x pi)/1s = 15.8Nm/s

Assume that the radius of the pedal is 0.06m, the upward force exerted on the pushing foot will be:

F = 15.8kgf/(0.06m/sin(x)) with x being the angle of the pedal from the vertical, sin(x)=1, F= 264kgf

I reckon the average output would be nearer to 10W than 100W.

Last edited:

Stephen Britt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2011
Hi Trex,

I measure the power output using a Tacx t1970 for tuning and testing and a Power Tap hub and Garmin for road use. The same route is ridden, with and without the system switched on.

All the best,
Stephen.

Stephen Britt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2011
Hi Trex,

I measure the power output using a Tacx t1970 for tuning and testing and a Power Tap hub and Garmin for road use. The same route is ridden, with and without the system switched on.

All the best,
Stephen.
The 50wH of battery is exhausted in half an hour. To do that you need to be buring 100w for half an hour. At 10w I would get 5 hours use.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The 50wH of battery is exhausted in half an hour. To do that you need to be buring 100w for half an hour.
Hello Stephen, your motors may burn 180kJ in half hour but you still need to subtract the heat produced by your system to get the net useful work.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Idea for a test:
Equip a bike with your pedals and put it on its stand.
Connect the rear wheel to a dynamo.
Cycle with the assistance of your pedals and as little leg work as possible.
Collect the data on the dynamo output.
Switch off the pedals. Cycle normally.
Collect the data on the dynamo output.
Compare the two outputs.
An average human can produce about 200W cycling.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I cannot understand how these will work. If you switch on without anything on the pedal, it will turn backwards. If you put your foot on it to stop it turning, you will have to press with a force equal to the power it is giving out to make it turn backwards, so the pedal and crank stay stationary, even though you are pushing forwards with 100 watts and the pedal is pushing backwards with 100 watts.

Advertisers