Any news on the AEG central drive?

D

Deleted member 4366

I heard it's been delayed. They wanted it done like the East drive but the quote from the German contractor was too expensive, so they're now in discussion with Paddy the Pikey, who should be a bit cheaper because he nicked the tarmac from Ringway when they were doing the A5. I guess it'll have to remain pot-holed for a while yet.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
On facebook,e-bike showroom,page 141 of 169 there is a photo of an A2B Pulse,with the AEG centre motor. Those who attended the AEG launch of this motor at Eurobike 2012 were of the opinion that it was not as good as the Bosch unit,excepting that it looked easy to retrofit. However AEG said they were not interested in aftermaket only OEM so if priced same as the Bosch,which the salesman said was the same price,I cannot see the market.
Dave
Kudoscycles.
PS,if someone can do the link to the facebook e-bike showroom,all 169 photos there are some very interesting bikes.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
The Bosch has a couple of years of development behind it - the 2013 models have been been modified in the light of experience, according to the German Pedelec forum. More reliability and less performance. I'm not sure that I would buy a brand new system.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I had an early KTM Bosch and maybe a little more grunt then my present AVE. The cut of at 15.5 has been smoothed out, and that's about it.

2013 models just have new HMI which I dont like as it cant be removed (less security) but now has choice of batteries which are welcome...2013 more an update then a replacement of existing. new mark 2 due 2014, this may be a lot different but a lot more competition appearing now....

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
It's a pity AEG don't want to go after market, you could take your preferred bike to a shop and have it fitted, or buy a new bike at a LBS and have the drive fitted if you wanted it as an electric bike, it would mean the LBS wouldn't have to carry electric bikes as any bike could be electrified simply.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Dave is right, we are bringing our a German built A2B equipped with the AEG system. I will welcome anyone to try it later in the year (probably June/July) and I think you will be rather impressed with the system, there have been some changes since it was first launched..

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Mark,

Assume this will be available to try at Cycle Show at NEC in September. Looking forward to see how it compares to Bosch system.

DW

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Eddie....
"2013 models just have new HMI which I dont like as it cant be removed (less security)E]"

the 2013 Bosch HMI is removed as per any Cateye speedo, and is charged from the main battery, keeping all its info via a small internal battery.....
even better, the power options are on a separate left handed intuitive thumb switch

cheers barryc

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cheers Barry I did not realise. my eye is now set on something new......the Elom MPF crank drive;)

DW when discussed previously on here and on German forum, the AEG drive reported as pretty weak so dont think Bosch have to worry......

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I wonder how easy it would be to buy an AEG equipped bike then swap the electric components over to a better bike?

I'm pretty sure my full sus bike has a better spec than any bike that will be AEG equipped.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Cheers Barry I did not realise. my eye is now set on something new......the Elom MPF crank drive;)

DW when discussed previously on here and on German forum, the AEG drive reported as pretty weak so dont think Bosch have to worry......
Thanks for info Eddie. Hopefully visiting EuroBike this year so will be able to look at some of the developments first hand.

DW

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Mark,

Assume this will be available to try at Cycle Show at NEC in September. Looking forward to see how it compares to Bosch system.

DW
Hi DW

Hopefully we will have a demo there, yes. Would be interested in your opinion, our Germany guys who have been developing it are raving about the system!
Thanks
Mark

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Look forward to trying it out. :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I managed to join the German pedelec forum today as sick of not being able to use forum search function and like I said earlier not looking that exciting. it is not a German system as AEG went belly up years back ....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well done Eddie, don't mention the war and all should be well :D
Well.........They have started talking about Poland...perhaps I should get out quick!:confused::p

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I feel an Alf Garnett moment coming on... so in order not to offend just about every one on the planet, I'll step away from the computer until it passes.

umazooma

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2011
i agree....easy to retrofit, but AEG will not sell to small producers(like me) or individuals, so retrofit is zero advantage since they have big bike manufacturuers as their sales target, as mentioned above - i tried a ride and was not really impressed - perhaps they should stick to washing machines - their staff at eurobike12 were amazingly uninformed and somehow dismissive of ordinary questions for a new product. It was a toxic combination apparently designed to generate a poor public response.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
i agree....easy to retrofit, but AEG will not sell to small producers(like me) or individuals, so retrofit is zero advantage since they have big bike manufacturuers as their sales target, as mentioned above - i tried a ride and was not really impressed - perhaps they should stick to washing machines - their staff at eurobike12 were amazingly uninformed and somehow dismissive of ordinary questions for a new product. It was a toxic combination apparently designed to generate a poor public response.
German AEG dont really exist, the electrolux side was bought by a Swedish company..This is just another Chinese product now, and very lacklustre from what I have read, entirely backed up by your experience....