Another Bafang programming cable failure!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
These things don't last! When my programming lead stopped working on Windows 7, I suspected that this second one was on it's way out, like the first... and it has now died for the same reason. Despite my reinforcement with self-adhesive heatshrink, and light application of silicone lubricant, I suspect thin nasty cheapo wires broke at the flex with all the manhandling I always need to do, in order to unplug the darn thing. Gear sensor light stutters briefly when I plug it onto the Android tablet, but doesn't flash on/off continuously. Might try to solder on a new plug, if I can find one mega-cheap. Here's what the overtight connector of my first programming cable did:

Therefore the gods have decided my folding bike is to be mid-driven at 720W! Unable to make any further changes, aside from setting the throttle back to 40kph before removal from my handlebar - back to my original plan for the throtte: if for some reason one or both my legs stop working, or something vitally pedal related breaks or falls off the bike or something, I'll reach into my mobile toolkit and pop it back on; throttle home, all tool-less like. Clearly, the gods of ebiking will accept nothing less than a UK legal 720W folding bike, and a full fat throttle on standby for emergency use only. Who am I to subvert their will? Would rather not be struck by lightning.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
If it's just a programming cable why not cut the outer black bit off the plug, it doesn't need to be waterproof. Try it with the new one when it arrives.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If it's just a programming cable why not cut the outer black bit off the plug, it doesn't need to be waterproof. Try it with the new one when it arrives.
This happens a lot with moulded audio plugs, which are much easier to replace. I did consider cutting off the overtight black rim, but then didn't. The plug material is slippy, these ridges are useless - think I'll make a thick superglue+baking soda grippy ridge on the new programming cable if I buy one, for the next time I need to make a parameter change.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mine cost about £9 from ebay. Works great. I must have used it at least ten or twelve times so far.

Both of my programming cables have had approximately 20 uses each. It's about £6 for a display extension cable, which I could cut the plug off from. A plug with a tail costs about £5 from China.

I daren't go against the will of the gods, will leave programming as is. Just have to remember to switch off two ebike battery soldered 1800LM lights before powering uphill with my 20A Level 9, to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This happens a lot with moulded audio plugs, which are much easier to replace. I did consider cutting off the overtight black rim, but then didn't. The plug material is slippy, these ridges are useless - think I'll make a thick superglue+baking soda grippy ridge on the new programming cable if I buy one, for the next time I need to make a parameter change.

View attachment 58860
I'd have thought the most likely break point would be just to the left of the reinforced part of that plug Guerney. That has been my experience many times with laptop power supplies etc.

Careful handling might make them last better.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd have thought the most likely break point would be just to the left of the reinforced part of that plug Guerney. That has been my experience many times with laptop power supplies etc.
Covering the flexi bit plus a bit, with self-adhesive marine heatshrink did make it easier to get a grip...

... but eventually the adhesive stopped being adhered to the plug.

Careful handling might make them last better.
Must reduce anabolic steroids.

Risking the ire of tthe gods, I've ordered this from China, explicitly sent via SpeedPAK (ebay stuff like this is usually sent from China, despite claiming to be sent from the UK), and like a fortune cookie I don't know which I'll receive - "Old Type" or "New Type". Costs a few pence more than a new plug with tail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951