Annoying squeak

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
For the past few weeks, I've had a really annoying squeak. It's so loud and sounds like I'm being attacked by seagulls.

It sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket (I would have said crank bearing, but I've been learning). We had a look at it this weekend, but couldn't get the crank off without a crank puller. So had to give up until I bought one today.

5 minutes later, the crank was off, and I removed the dust seal. Refitted the crank and went for a ride - silence. So the seal needs some grease. Looks like that'll be a regular maintenance item then.

IMG_20240702_162548.jpg

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Turns out this isn't the rubber seals squeaking. Very perplexed.

Trying a new torque sensor tomorrow :(

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
So the new torque sensor arrived and I got it fitted. After a short test run, the angry seagulls appear to have gone!

Routing the cable from the sensor and into the battery/controller compartment required a fair amount of effort. It's all surrounded by the rear pannier carrier, and I found the best thing to do was to remove the screws holding the battery controller so it floats free of the carrier. Then remove the top bolts of the carrier and loosen the lower. This gives enough room to get the lid of the controller compartment. From there it's a simple plug and play to replace the connector.

IMG_20240713_111234.jpg IMG_20240713_111225.jpg IMG_20240713_111218.jpg

The guys and gals at Whisper could not have been more helpful with this.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes