Alternative firmware to make my laser printer print regardless of toner status

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Irritating when you have installed a brand new black toner cartridge, but your Samsung C480FW colour laser printer refuses to print just because some other colour toner cartridge is depleted... so I am seriously considering replacing it's firmware - this could brick the printer, but after also taping over the toner's data contacts, the damn thing might print regardless of how much toner there is, even if they're not strictly in-cartridge chip compatible, and print until cartridges are totally empty and beyond. 13 dollars... but could result in a dead printer. Hmmm...

Alternative firmware for other brands of laser printer available... Let's hope there are no hidden Russian attack tools bundled in the firmware.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Firmware replaced by some dude somewhere on the internet.

Now I've got to replace this solenoid, so the damn thing doesn't report a "paper jam in front tray". I hate all printers except my Epson LX400 dot matrix, which has worked continuously and faultlessly for decades.

OMG. Needs to be dug out, pretty much everything electronic disconnected. I'm bound to lose something vital...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It'll arrive next week - in case anyone else owns a Samsung laser printer, the same part is common to many models. Also, on mine at least, the password to access diagnostics functions (for toner serial numbers etc.) in Samsung's software is:

admin@12

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It'll arrive next week - in case anyone else owns a Samsung laser printer, the same part is common to many models. Also, on mine at least, the password to access diagnostics functions (for toner serial numbers etc.) in Samsung's software is:

admin@12
How is the slow running and bread making and life (I've a brother laser, but resigned myself to it being disposable, like all printers, so can't help)? I've discovered elliptical machines and lost a ton of weight ( it's about always being able to access an optimal zone of exertion, unlike running g which in my reality always feel a quite traumatic binary choice of being in excruciating agony or not). Other than that italys 25c, which helps. But I'm not gloating, outside these parameters it's all a worrying mess.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How is the slow running and bread making and life (I've a brother laser, but resigned myself to it being disposable, like all printers, so can't help)? I've discovered elliptical machines and lost a ton of weight ( it's about always being able to access an optimal zone of exertion, unlike running g which in my reality always feel a quite traumatic binary choice of being in excruciating agony or not). Other than that italys 25c, which helps. But I'm not gloating, outside these parameters it's all a worrying mess.
They sent me thr wrong part! :mad: It's for a different group of Samsung laser printers, doesn't even look like the product photo!

Free returns, but what a freaking pain! Will attempt refindmentation. Hope the incompetent gits will refund postage too. I've ordered the right part from elsewhere.

I quite like repairing stuff, have patients waiting and will prepare the operating theatre very soon.

Good to hear elliptical machines have made you more elliptical, do what they say on the tin. Are they the cycling or walking type? Lapsed with my intermittent fasting regime for some weeks, gained weight. I've still got a stone to lose. Slow jogged over 6 miles a few days ago - over 3.5 of those miles were uphill. Legs felt like lead for a few days after, stll do a bit now, calf muscles feel stretched - worsened achilles heel damage I caused by overstretching to rid myself of plantar fasciitis three years ago, damaging both achilles tendons. But it'll mostly heal up, apart from the achilles tendons... which I really don't know what to do about yet. Unsure if they're strains or breaks. An inflammation ball forms on my left one after exercise, which shrinks after a few days with application of ice and ibuprofen gel. I can't let it stop slow jogging.

Invented a new bread, using sprouted beans. Resulting bread contains complete protein, all amino acids. Rises beautifully, no yeast required.

Other than that italys 25c, which helps. But I'm not gloating, outside these parameters it's all a worrying mess.
A worrying mess beyond temperature parameters? What's a worrying mess and why? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
They sent me thr wrong part! :mad: It's for a different group of Samsung laser printers, doesn't even look like the product photo!

View attachment 59938

Free returns, but what a freaking pain! Will attempt refindmentation. Hope the incompetent gits will refund postage too. I've ordered the right part from elsewhere.

I quite like repairing stuff, have patients waiting and will prepare the operating theatre very soon.

Good to hear elliptical machines have made you more elliptical, do what they say on the tin. Are they the cycling or walking type? Lapsed with my intermittent fasting regime for some weeks, gained weight. I've still got a stone to lose. Slow jogged over 6 miles a few days ago - over 3.5 of those miles were uphill. Legs felt like lead for a few days after, stll do a bit now, calf muscles feel stretched - worsened achilles heel damage I caused by overstretching to rid myself of plantar fasciitis three years ago, damaging both achilles tendons. But it'll mostly heal up, apart from the achilles tendons... which I really don't know what to do about yet. Unsure if they're strains or breaks. An inflammation ball forms on my left one after exercise, which shrinks after a few days with application of ice and ibuprofen gel. I can't let it stop slow jogging.

Invented a new bread, using sprouted beans. Resulting bread contains complete protein, all amino acids. Rises beautifully, no yeast required.

A worrying mess beyond temperature parameters? What's a worrying mess and why? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone.
There may be surprising light at the end of the wrong part tunnel (recently bought a new car that arrived with a ding and ended up with copious apologies, three years free servicing, free repair etc etc). When possible i like repairing stuff (but struggle to shift the nagging feeling that it's a displacement activity, defence against the inevitable). But it can be fun, if one has the space and time. Bread without yeast using sprouted beans sound fascinating. Would love to hear more? I stumbled across desert recipe using chocolate and apples on YouTube that dfenitely did not work.
It's a walking type elliptical, I say that because real reason I ended up on it is much what you describe, injuries (but an old hematoma in addition to tendonitis), for the zero impact (as well as the relatively benign environment when I have to be in cold, dark blighty).
Speaking of work, I've fully retired. Which is a profound, existential shocker I don't think one can adequately prepare for. Other than that I mean the usual mess (the human condition, sharing a planet with carnivorous primates etc).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bread without yeast using sprouted beans sound fascinating. Would love to hear more?
Probiotics in beansprouts exude gases, even when liquidised. Add to flour, knead, leave for about an hour, prove, bake. Or chuck into breadmaker. Delicious, and in theory calorie calculable perhaps, useful for intermittent fasting. More digestible (less anti-nutrients, sprouted) than alternative high protein floury starvation snacks for supermodels, between morphine and cocaine snacks of course.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Probiotics in beansprouts exude gases, even when liquidised. Add to flour, knead, leave for about an hour, prove, bake. Or chuck into breadmaker. Delicious, and in theory calorie calculable perhaps, useful for intermittent fasting. More digestible (less anti-nutrients, sprouted) than alternative high protein floury starvation snacks for supermodels, between morphine and cocaine snacks of course.
Many thanks, will give it a go and tell you how it works out

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Many thanks, will give it a go and tell you how it works out
Sprout any bean or mix thereof. Bake thororughly to kill listeria hysteria, in case. You can buy presprouted if you're nervous, but you don't get much for your money and you may still be hysterical about being infected with listeria, with bonus e.coli free gift. Also brilliant for wonderfully delicious pittas with pockets. Cook 'em hot.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've discovered elliptical machines and lost a ton of weight ( it's about always being able to access an optimal zone of exertion, unlike running g which in my reality always feel a quite traumatic binary choice of being in excruciating agony or not).
How far away are you from your target weight? And will you be at a healthy BMI when you get there?

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
How far away are you from your target weight? And will you be at a healthy BMI when you get there?
Must confess haven't tried recipe yet (life got in way). But read this message after drenched two hour 1000 calory ellipse this morning and had a quite pessimistic realisation: I am at target weight, but it does not really help. You remember that feeling/experience of metamorphosis, rebirth one used to get when young when getting fit? It is, as far as I can tell, quite absent from the same journey in my late fifties. To be replaced by exhaustion, being increasingly objectively knackered. But on a positive note elliptical machines go with toning, muscle strength that fix in my reality some arthritis, other problems.
How about you, how is the struggle?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You remember that feeling/experience of metamorphosis, rebirth one used to get when young when getting fit?
What are you talking about? While young, after a long session of high intensity circuit training which included among many other things, oodles of continuous bodyweight exercises press-ups, sit ups, star jumps, squat thrusts, leaps hugging knees, sprinting etc. etc. freaking etc. I felt like shiz for about a week. Two weeks after the first two hour session. Entire body aches made sleep difficult. I do feel awesome after an hour of slow jogging tho.

Well done with the weight loss! Perhaps your target weight is wrong? Fat collects around and within internal organs as we get older, interferes with organ function, and it's the last which gets shed. Hardest to get rid.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What are you talking about? While young, after a long session of high intensity circuit training which included among many other things, oodles of continuous bodyweight exercises press-ups, sit ups, star jumps, squat thrusts, leaps hugging knees, sprinting etc. etc. freaking etc. I felt like shiz for about a week. Two weeks after the first two hour session. Entire body aches made sleep difficult. I do feel awesome after an hour of slow jogging tho.

Well done with the weight loss! Perhaps your target weight is wrong? Fat collects around and within internal organs as we get older, interferes with organ function, and it's the last which gets shed. Hardest to get rid.
That's the key, I've always gone for frequency not intensity, it gives one a buzz and being a mesomorph and not liking the contemporary muscular aesthetic one often see in gyms it's mostly been about trying to lose not gain. And it's better for one's mental health, the way a slow run lifts the mood more than squats.
My bmi is still a bit high, but we all know how valid that is.
How's the Samsung laser ordeal? Did they send the right part finally? How's the slow jogging? I'm back in blighty and it's having one of it's late autumn bizarre warm spells that make it feel like a sauna, but must be good for running outside?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes great weather at the mo for running, I'll pop out again tomorrow.

The right part has arrived from elsewhere, small part delivered in a huge box. I'll have to Dyson the damn thing during various stages of disassembly, when I get around to attempting the repair... because there's oodles of toxic coloured dust interspersed everywhere within... while wearing a KN95 mask in a suitable work area - as bad for you as smoking, so they say.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
not liking the contemporary muscular aesthetic one often see in gyms
Chicks dig that "I'm gym fit and great to look at naked" aesthetic, why else would you want to get fit? Grow deltoids and signal shag readiness, else what's the point? Otherwise you're only prolonging the pain and misery of existence with no respite.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Chicks dig that "I'm gym fit and great to look at naked" aesthetic, why else would you want to get fit? Grow deltoids and signal shag readiness, else what's the point? Otherwise you're only prolonging the pain and misery of existence with no respite.
I bet they are drawn to your headlights like moths.... you must be worn out!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bet they are drawn to your headlights like moths.... you must be worn out!
Lights and deltoids: Amazing how well the superficial shallow stuff works. Both trigger instinctive responses for reasons not completely clear to the conscious mind... is my theory, empirically proven for both deltoids and lights. I'm not as worn out as I should be, but then again who is?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And it's better for one's mental health, the way a slow run lifts the mood more than squats.
Not if they're squat leaps where you hug your knees at the top of the leap before landing softly with no noise on your toes, to repeat over and over again. If I did that now I'd die. Last time I tried, I couldn't gain the height of my youth, tore thigh muscles. Not a problem at 18. I might do some later. Tearing grows muscles. Big muscles are useful for moving stuff.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Lights and deltoids: Amazing how well the superficial shallow stuff works. Both trigger instinctive responses for reasons not completely clear to the conscious mind... is my theory, empirically proven for both deltoids and lights. I'm not as worn out as I should be, but then again who is?
That's the hamlet dilemma, buying superficial disingenuous stuff with superficial stuff or prolonging the pain and misery of existence without respite. Or more dichotomy really, we all do both and are completely screwed in more than one way. At least buying a laser printer means ending up with some functionality if ones lucky. Can't wait for a shaggable version of ameca.

Advertisers