Advice to a newcomer on what bike to buy

El Fusilado

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2024
Hi, I am a newcomer to E-Bikes and I am looking for a bike that can handle the cycle tracks on Wimbledon Common (they are gebnerally not too bad but there is some gravel and one or two bumps). I will be mainly using it for leisure cycling plus maybe heading to the local shops. I was initially thinking a hybrid with tyres with good grips, but now also considering a mountain bike and then adding on things like panniers, lights etc. Original budget was around £1,500 but might be willing to pay a bit more for a good deal. Current shortlist is as follows (prices are based on decathlon and Evans current listings):
Any thoughts gratefully recived
ROCKRIDER 27.5" Electric Mountain Bike E-ST 500 - Black
£1,399​
CANNONDALE Tesoro Neo X 2 Electric Hybrid Bike
£2,149​
ROCKRIDER 29" Hardtail Electric Mountain Bike E-EXPL 520
£1,899​
Raleigh Motus Evans Exclusive Low Step 2021 Electric Hybrid Bike
£949​

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Do not buy bike with proprietary technology.
Conversion will give you best value for money.

All shortlisted e-bikes are very expensive.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

Reactions: El Fusilado

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nearly any bike will deal with Womble common.

El Fusilado

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2024

Thanks Peter, I hadn't come across these before. I will take a look.

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. I haven't come across these before - they look interssting. Why do you think they are better than the ones that I have shortlisted?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks Peter, I hadn't come across these before. I will take a look.

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. I haven't come across these before - they look interssting. Why do you think they are better than the ones that I have shortlisted?
Woosh and Wisper are both UK based. Both sell excellent, well priced products. Both have an excellent after-sales service. Both are friends of this forum and both regularly post here.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My advice would be to get one while you can.
I had a WTF moment and went to buy one... they had them 2 days ago when I checked, but they're now out of stock. No surprise really.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I had a WTF moment and went to buy one... they had them 2 days ago when I checked, but they're now out of stock. No surprise really.
That's a shame. As he said, you have to be suspicious when things are too cheap, but on the other hand, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. We did tell him that we tested their cheaper one, and it was excellent.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
It is still in stock in Newcastle - but not much use if you don't live near there.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
still available in oxon too
thank goodness both this and the £245 folder are finally out of stock.. I dont need another ebike but the bargain hoarder in me was itching for a fix.. Hope all that got a bargain are happy with their new bikes and thanks for removing the temptation ;)
You're itching to buy one aren't you? ;)

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yep.. but i really dont need one nor do i have the room for another bike as the current 3x take up all the available space at the front of the garage. but bargain toys are hard to resist..
I had that itch yesterday and actually tried to order one. But don't relax just yet... I went into Argos this morning and they say there are some still kicking about that (for me anyway) can be shipped into and collected from Sainsburys (but they can't do home delivery in my area because they source it from an out-of-the-area distribution/warehouse). Then sanity returned and decided I too have 3 e-bikes already, and this Argos one looks like it would need a larger freewheel, mechanical to hydraulic brakes, and likely a change of controller and display to make the best out of it... and I have enough projects going on already.

They were also of the opinion that they're only discounted/on "clearance" to make space for the new models about to arrive (it's not just bikes).

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Yes its also a local sainsbury's collection here too..

Ha- when the £245 folder went out of stock.. (if public transport was more ebike friendly a towable folder might provide joined up no car transport options. ) - i panic bought a 24v £180 offering..

Then the following day woke sane and tried to cancel over the phone.. But my ref no did not register so after many repetitions i got a bit frustrated and made up a number.. and on my 2nd guess it got me through.. not to the expected rep but to another recording telling me my order was cancelled!! and bye..
So i cancelled some random Argos order, after typing in a string of not remembered numbers :(..

But I tried my order# again and now?? it went through.. (btw i did have glasses on and had verified the order number from both the argos site and emails- AND it looked good on the display as entered??.. My working theory is my landline phone has some case shifting/caps-lock? feature i fumbled on and off picking the thing up, but??

So Yeah.. I too have had my moments of weakness..

I will try n make do living vicariously off the joy of folk who have both a need and use for another bike and grab a bargain and post in here about it..

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I didn't really need my argos folder because I already have a perfectly good ebike conversion with many better features. I fell into that ape like tendency to just grab at the fruit that looks too easy to miss (easy = ridiculously cheap).

However - I am very pleased with what I got for what I paid.

Now up to 146 logged and measured miles and still grinning as I ride it.

Reactions: thelarkbox

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
So Yeah.. I too have had my moments of weakness..
It is not a weakness. It is a disease.
I have shed full of bikes. So I bought a smaller Keter shed where I managed to put one more bike. One bike lives permanently in my house.
As far as I can tell, you are still in early stages. Contact your GP, maybe they will prescribe you antibiotics or something. There still might be some hope for you.

Reactions: thelarkbox