A2B Quo + controller

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Just acquired this A2B Quo + .....a folding ebike....., in good nick, reasonable battery and working well under 'throttle only' mode. PAS does not appear to work , and neither do both brake cut-off's.
The controller is probably non-original, and is virtually identical to an Amazon 36V 350W generic type.
I need to check if brake sensors/PAS sensor is receiving 5V signal, but I am also trying to find who/which brand of controller was originally adopted by A2B.
Had a trawl about on the web, but not getting very far here. I could always buy a different generic controller but I am not keen on doing that unless I can source one that is reliable for the Quo +, or that some of you have had success with.

This is the one (I think) currently fitted to the ebike https://www.amazon.co.uk/24V-36V-Controller-Electric-Waterproof-Brushless/dp/B07GH2XX6R/ref=asc_df_B07GH2XX6R/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=696285193871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7707863303263501681&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046783&hvtargid=pla-2281435177578&mcid=c03520e23acc32c88bf84e4631693da6&hvocijid=7707863303263501681-B07GH2XX6R-&hvexpln=74&gad_source=1&th=1

PAS is a 12 magnet, double hall sensor

Any thoughts??

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All controllers work the same, so I doubt that changing it to a different one would make a difference.. If something has been changed, there's probably something wrong with your wiring sequence, especially if you have moulded connectors, otherwise you can check thet the wires on the connectors go colour to colour on each side.

Show us what pins are on the brake connectors. If they're three-pin, they're 5v supply, false 5v on the signal wire and ground. 2-wire ones are false 5v and ground. You can test those by shorting the two wires. For the three wire ones, you have to figure out which is the real 5v and which is the false one. You can do that by checking the resistance between each of the two 5v pins abd the 5v on the throttle or motor halls. The real 5v will have zero resistance and the other will have 5k or 10k. Once you know which it is, you can short it to ground to test it works.

testing the pedal sensor is harder because one wire is 5v (easy) and the other two are probably zero volts. One is definitely ground, so you could try measuring their resistance to another ground. Obviously the real one will have zero resistance, but I'm not sure about the other. If you can figure out which is which, get a small screwdriver and repeatedly quick tap it on the 5v and signal pins at the same time. That should mimic the pedal sensor signal and operate the motor, so make sure the motor's off the ground.

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Finally checked the brake cut-off sensors and they work perfectly. The same cannot be said for the PAS sensor, which is a double hall sensor ...I suspect non-original ...and after bench testing it through every sensor position, orientation, magnet plate position, orientation etc, it clearly does not work, either through malfunction, or because the double hall sensor PAS is incompatible with the generic controller. Just sent off for a single hall PAS to see if that is more compatible.
Question ...does anyone know whether original PAS sensores were double hall, and if so which specific controller was compatible with this ?? Hopefully the single hall sensor will solve the problem when it arrives !

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It should make no difference to the controller if it's a double hall sensor or not. The sensor should pulse regardless, so if it doesn't, it's either connected incorrectly or installed incorrectly.

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
It was noted that the sm connector from the controller had the red and blue wires in opposite order to the same wires from the PAS. ...although the pas led was lit up when nothing was moving. I corrected the 'cross-wiring' but this had no effect on the operability ...and the led was no longer glowing!
See what happens when the single hall sensor arrives

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The double hall ones have to to be on the right side of the bike and the magnet disc has to be the right way up. That makes for combinations of which only one works.

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Checked all that off the bike and mounted on the bench, with every combination of magnet disc/pas sensor alignment, direction etc (sensor still connected to the controller) ..The singleshall pas will be mounted on the left side ...see what happens!

johnRN

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2022
Back on the job again, post-holiday.
Still no joy with both single hall and double hall sensors pas. I only just noticed that an unconnected sm connector (green/white/yellow TX/RX) from the battery output is currently unconnected to anything, and there is no available connector the the controller, unless I simply connect to any existing green/white/yellow wires on say the lcd connection. I wonder what original controller the A2B bike had, which provided an individual sm connector to attach to ?? Looking at existing controllers on the market, there does not appear to be any that have rx/tx dedicated connector. Without this data exchange facility, it could explain why pas is not working ...although thumb throttle works really well (but maybe it would work!).