Wisper 705 Playing up

Thornbury

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2024
Hi, I discovered this site when searching for ideas as to why my wife’s 705 has started playing up with erratic or no pedal assist, mileage display showing random figures as does the speed display. I have recently had the rear wheel off to repair a puncture but I’m sure it’s connected up again correctly and it worked ok for a few days after putting the wheel back on - any ideas? Our local bike shop no longer sells Wisper and are not helpful. Help!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, I discovered this site when searching for ideas as to why my wife’s 705 has started playing up with erratic or no pedal assist, mileage display showing random figures as does the speed display. I have recently had the rear wheel off to repair a puncture but I’m sure it’s connected up again correctly and it worked ok for a few days after putting the wheel back on - any ideas? Our local bike shop no longer sells Wisper and are not helpful. Help!
If it was only the wheel you interfered with, then you didn't push the motor connector in far enough. It needs to go all the way to the line. One millimeter short would give those symptoms. It's also possible that you pulled the cable, so if that doesn't fix it, check the cable at the other end. And check that you didn't damage the cable, especially where it comes out of the axle, or you didn't over-crimp it with a cable-tie.

Reactions: Thornbury

Thornbury

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2024
If it was only the wheel you interfered with, then you didn't push the motor connector in far enough. It needs to go all the way to the line. One millimeter short would give those symptoms. It's also possible that you pulled the cable, so if that doesn't fix it, check the cable at the other end. And check that you didn't damage the cable, especially where it comes out of the axle, or you didn't over-crimp it with a cable-tie.
Thanks, you could be right, I’ve just been out to the garage to check again (and use contact cleaner on the pins) and I think it went together more completely. The display screen now looks good, I’ll try it again in the morning as it’s now nearly 11.30pm. I’ll let you know how I get on.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks, you could be right, I’ve just been out to the garage to check again (and use contact cleaner on the pins) and I think it went together more completely. The display screen now looks good, I’ll try it again in the morning as it’s now nearly 11.30pm. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Please let us know the results. It helps other people who do a Google search for such issues.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Thornbury

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2024
That’s it, it worked, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. It goes to show that you should concentrate on the obvious first but that plug looked right and felt right but mustn’t have been fully in. I think the moisture of the contact cleaner helped to remove any drag on the outer casing plastic and they snapped together fully with a click and that’s it, job done.
I hope others are equally fortunate if they are having similar problems. (I daresay WD40 would also work if they don’t have contact cleaner)
Thanks again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great result , it is surprising how many of these issues we see from time to time.
One can negate removing the wheel for punctures by removing one side of the tyre to access the tube for a repair or one can try a Gaddi tube .

Reactions: thelarkbox

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Gaddi tubes?? You guys are nuts. A taxi is easier, quicker and cheaper if you need a new tube, though in my entire life of cycling, which must be well over 30,000 miles, I've never needed a replacement tube to repair a puncture and never been stranded.

My cycling companion, Steve, tried to prevent punctures with some of those tyre liners. We were sitting outside a pub in the sun having a break, when one of his wheels suddenly exploded because the liner had cut his inner tube. His bike had to be brought home in the car. That's another reason not to mess with the traditional reliable methods.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That bad eh? - ok..
They work - sort of - but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It takes about 5 minutes to patch a tyre without taking the wheel off. All you need is a pump, some patches, the rubber solution and some levers. A kit that has the patches and levers is about 3 inches long and one inch wide, so takes no space. You still need the pump and the levers for the Gaddi tyre.

I guarantee that I can have a tube out, patched and back in again while you're still waving your Gaddi tube around while you figure out what to do with it and why you forgot to bring a knife to cut out the old tube.

Reactions: flecc

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Sure i agree fix first but when a fix is not an option, my last tube failure was a huge split for example. is it a dodgy solution that might get you home if your lucky or something that works and provides realistic expectations for longevity?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sure i agree fix first but when a fix is not an option, my last tube failure was a huge split for example. is it a dodgy solution that might get you home if your lucky or something that works and provides realistic expectations for longevity?

How did you get a huge split? Normally, that's from trying to ride your bike with a flat tyre. I've seen blow-outs from incorrectly fitted tyres, but once that's happened, a Gaddi tube won't save you. I've never seen a split from a puncture.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
While not severely overweight i mass over 90kg, and require quite high tyre pressures as to not kerb puncture tubes and bottom out tyres, and can be a pita with a basic bike pump to keep topped up so i bought an ali express or ebay or amazon 'bargain' mini stirrup pump with a built in pressure gauge. I trusted the gauge as it flickerd as i pumped but as i kept pumping it didnt move much until BANG!!!
tyre was ok although i did replace it as it was woefully thin on inspection, and i spent 20 or so real pounds on a bike shop track pump with a real gauge. the tube had a split almost a foot long..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
While not severely overweight i mass over 90kg, and require quite high tyre pressures as to not kerb puncture tubes and bottom out tyres, and can be a pita with a basic bike pump to keep topped up so i bought an ali express or ebay or amazon 'bargain' mini stirrup pump with a built in pressure gauge. I trusted the gauge as it flickerd as i pumped but as i kept pumping it didnt move much until BANG!!!
tyre was ok although i did replace it as it was woefully thin on inspection, and i spent 20 or so real pounds on a bike shop track pump with a real gauge. the tube had a split almost a foot long..
That sounds like a blow-out, where it escapes from under the bead of the tyre. You get that when the tyre isn't fitted concentrically of the bead has been stretched by excessive levering because of poor technique. Marathon Plus tyres are easily stretched like that.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
That sounds like a blow-out, where it escapes from under the bead of the tyre. You get that when the tyre isn't fitted concentrically of the bead has been stretched by excessive levering because of poor technique. Marathon Plus tyres are easily stretched like that.
- whatever the root i blamed the pump and replaced it now tyre top ups are a doddle and no loud bangs since.. was real loud tho..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HQHW4LS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought one of these re-chargeable compressors, really for motorcycle trips abroad, but it has proved annoyingly useful.
nice.. not sure something like that would get enough use to keep the batteries healthy here..