4G routers

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My isp is about to put up my charges by a massive 33.3% on top of the spring increase.
Given this and the upcoming hooha of digital changeover (which seems to go awry a lot of the time) and loss of landline anyway, I am investigating 4G routers.
I have come across this plug and play kit from a company called offgridwifi.co.uk that would give me a router with a giffgaff sim on a £15/month deal for 15Gb.
So £180/year as opposed to £683/year I'm being offered. But no landline.
My needs are not large. Only social of any kind is pedelecs. Banking, emails, screwfix etc orders and youtube carpentry videos.
O2 signal is purported to be good where I live, so should work.
The amount of techy gobbledegook I'm coming across is exhausting.
Is there a simple way through this?
Has anyone done this? Seems way cheaper but does it work? Can anyone help a hopelessly out of his depth non tech savy ageing carpenter/electrician save some hard earned?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you tube vids will nuke the 15gb data allowance but im with virgin and when land lines get shut off there are voip ports on the modem and tv box for voip phones.

cant you just move lol

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Trying to find a way to afford internet services into the future. As a pensioner the rates of price increase from the usual suppliers are making it unsustainable.
The new +net rate will be £704/annum on a two year deal (plus the march rise of course). This would pay for a whole winters worth of logs. A choice is going to have to be made and, at the moment, it's looking like the internet will have to go as it's kind of a luxury.
It seems that there is no such thing as a 'contract' any more. You sign up at one price only to find it being increased mid way through the term. I'm sick of it.
I'm trying to find out if the router (linked) has a voip port. But I keep getting tangled up in tekky gobbledegook that I don't understand.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im with virgin and pay 65 per month but as they changed from cpi to rpi means mine will go up next month i think to 80 quid a month and for 500mbps is taking the pi$$ because in floppy disc terms is 5mb and thus a 10 gigabit connection is 1gb per second.

im also locked in to a 2 year contract as no fiber to my house and with over 20 things going just on the wifi devices need all the speed i can lol.

id shop around 50mbps should be enough for what you want but these days there is no loyalty to long term customers as virgin now owned buy a us corporation but in the past had a speed upgrade ect but now pay it or bugger off end of contract.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
50mbps ! You have no idea mate. My best current rate is 2.3mbps.
Anyway, as stated, the aim here is to save money, I can't support the sort of expenditure you're talking about.
Spoke to a tame geek at a company I was doing some work for yesterday.
I now know that all routers are voip capable - one question answered. He also told me about a firm called voipfone uk. They will set up and run a voip sevice AND port my existing landline number to the voip.
Here's what I'm starting to see.
Around £360 for 4g router + external ariel, all set up, one off cost. Supplied with Giffgaff sim but router is unlocked.
£20/month Giffgaff wiil, I think, give us the data amount we need. May only need £15/month. No locked in contract can leave or change at any time with no penalty.
£5/month voip service gives 100 minutes calls to landline and mobiles. Will it be enough? To be tested.
So it would seem that £25/month will get be broad band and Phone for less than 50% of what I'm paying currently.
If it works that's a big win.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

12.50 tho you need to claim pension credit.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Virgin couldn't get my broadband working properly for months, even with a replacement router. Numerous visits.

Now with Smarty for £20 a month no contract, 4G router. It's faster since I upgraded the ethernet cables, fast enough and very reliable. I was intending to go all Zen Internet, but currently there's no need. Smarty is a Three network brand.

(Ethernet connected PC)

Router is unlocked, I can use any network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Connection-Configuration-Management/dp/B016ZWXYXG/

My only issue with Smarty is a VPN must be used for internet banking, because of frequent IP address changes. I use EE and O2 on other devices.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My only issue with Smarty is a VPN must be used for internet banking, because of frequent IP address changes. I use EE and O2 on other devices.
Is frequent IP changes a feature of 4g routers? Giffgaff is on O2, so will this be the same? Why does IP changing affect banking?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is frequent IP changes a feature of 4g routers? Giffgaff is on O2, so will this be the same? Why does IP changing affect banking?
It's just Three (Smarty) which changes IP address frequently, banking sites don't like that sort of thing. EE and O2 (Giffgaff) bank fine without a free VPN.

My TP-link router is pretty much zero configuration BTW, just drop in a SIM, log into the router to fiddle with a small number of settings and away you go. Amazon is easy to return things to. Of course, ethernet cable connected to router is fastest. You'll have to see where signal strength is greatest in your home.

If you buy secondhand from Cex online, you can get a refund.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=snettptlmr6400a&categoryName=wireless-routers&superCatName=computing&title=&queryID=2397e8b3770d9169223d5baddaca3e27&position=1

If you buy in person, if you return it they'll give you a credit note printed with disappearing thermal paper text.

Here's the manual, quick start guide.

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-MR6400(EU)_V1_QIG.pdf

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-MR6400(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Guerny, good to know.
i will be connecting ethernet to a pc and wifi to a laptop.
Signal reception is moot as I have 3ft thick stone walls, hence ordering a kit with an external ariel. it may work in the loft but I have been advised that slate has a lot of iron in it, though I can find no evidence to back this up. So I'll give it a go.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which kit are you ordering? My TP-link is the easy to configure, some are a right pain. If brand new, there should be support provided for whichever kit.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's a Tenda supplied as a plug and play kit. I assume that means it's fully configured. They do a signal survey as part of the cost.
I'm one of those people who gets lost in tech land. People have told me that e-mail, for instance, is easy to set up. Not for me, never managed it. I've spent many hours already getting to this point with this 4g thing. I think I'm starting to grasp the basics. So I hope this kit does come fully configured otherwise their tech support could be getting a hammering:confused:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't be disheartened if O2/Giffgaff is crap - I do a lot of work on the go: SIM in laptop, Wifi tablet, phone, mobile WiFi router, and I've got to say O2 is the worst by far. EE always beats O2 for network coverage. When I used Three a couple of years ago on the go, that was also worse than EE. Galling when the person next to me on the train can get signal with EE, and there are no bars on O2 when passing through rural areas...

Last edited:

franksmissing

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2024
My isp is about to put up my charges by a massive 33.3% on top of the spring increase.
Given this and the upcoming hooha of digital changeover (which seems to go awry a lot of the time) and loss of landline anyway, I am investigating 4G routers. Here. I have come across this plug and play kit from a company called offgridwifi.co.uk that would give me a router with a giffgaff sim on a £15/month deal for 15Gb.
So £180/year as opposed to £683/year I'm being offered. But no landline.
My needs are not large. Only social of any kind is pedelecs. Banking, emails, screwfix etc orders and youtube carpentry videos.
O2 signal is purported to be good where I live, so should work.
The amount of techy gobbledegook I'm coming across is exhausting.
Is there a simple way through this?
Has anyone done this? Seems way cheaper but does it work? Can anyone help a hopelessly out of his depth non tech savy ageing carpenter/electrician save some hard earned?
You need to check this provider yourself! Buy this provider for 1 test month if possible! I once changed my provider for 1 month and I was not satisfied with the speed (it was average but 1 program that was extremely important to me did not work) and I had to go back to my old provider!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Looking at the O2 and EE maps both look good indoors for my postcode. As this will be working as a mains driven 4g router we should be good. The Giffgaff sim is one month only, change or leave with no penalty, so if it doesn't work I can go with another provider. Hope i don't have to.
If we go to getting smart phones (luddite me is not inclined, no use for it - the wife might)then we can pick our service accordingly.
Anything more than the 2.3Mbps max we currently get on +Net, is a bonus.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looking at the O2 and EE maps both look good indoors for my postcode. As this will be working as a mains driven 4g router we should be good. The Giffgaff sim is one month only, change or leave with no penalty, so if it doesn't work I can go with another provider. Hope i don't have to.
If we go to getting smart phones (luddite me is not inclined, no use for it - the wife might)then we can pick our service accordingly.
Anything more than the 2.3Mbps max we currently get on +Net, is a bonus.
If APN settings require manual entry, they have example settings for Giffgaff here:

I'm amazed there's no product manual made avaiable online, for whatever "Tenda" router that is. Especially considering the price.

APN setings are all programmed into my TP-link for various providers, simply drop in a SIM and away you go. I might get external antennas at some point, to see if I can increase speed, but it's fast enough for my needs at present - about £14 on ebay, which look likely compatible.

Hope you're not being fleeced - this might not be the same £55.90 router, without the other gear:

Another version for £104.52:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks for the info Guerney. I am not wedded to Offgridwifi, especially as they have not replied to my 'contact us' enquiry. It's just that seemed to be a plug and play kit that, hopefully, would be just that. Enabling a tech blind old git like me to save some money. But, from you've linked, it looks like the Tenda 4g routers come configured anyway.
Not wedded to Tenda either, if you've got a better suggestion?
What's an APN setting?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An APN (Access Point Name) is a gateway between your mobile network and the internet. Settings are provided by the network.

O2 coverage maps lie for the entire country, and that's my experience of many areas.

I haven't needed to venture into alternative aerials for my 4G router, but I might order one (couple of £ on AliExpress) because I get free shipping with a suspension seatpost I'm thinking of ordering, to use with the pneumatic saddle I've ordered.

Maybe someone else will turn up on this thread to advise about external outdoor high gain 4G/5G aerials.

If it were me, I'd try the cheap and cheerful returnable option first ie TP-link linked above. Then look into adding external aerials to that. If it doesn't increase your internet speed, return it for a refund from Amazon (new) or Webuy.com/Cex (secondhand).

Bear in mind wired via ethernet is always going to be faster and more reliable than connecting to the router by WiFi.

VOIP - I use Sipgate.

Unfortunately you can't keep your existing number. Free to receive calls, no topup required, then it's PAYG via debit/credit card to call out. It's possible to connect a box to the router enabling the use of any normal landline phone, and that's what I used to use, until Virginmedia blocked it. These days I simply connect to Sipgate via a free app on some phones which stay at home or the office, and the native SIP client on other more modern Android phones. Voicemail is free, they email your messages as .MP3 attachments. Very convenient.

My only issue with Sipgate is low power use phones, which is all the new ones. Occasionally I can't receive calls because apps are disconnected from the internet to save battery power and keep phones slim. The fix is to keep the power cable connected, but as we know that's bad for batteries. Older Android phones don't suffer from this problem.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Unfortunately most of what you say about phones goes right over my head. Had a look at sipgate and that's even moreso.
I have existing dect phones that I was hoping to use via an adaptor, using voipfone as they say they can port my existing number for £5/month.
Looking at this router as it's dual band so hopefully better wifi within the house.
External ariel may not be necessary, but with 3ft thick stone walls and triple glazing I'm not too hopeful. could try it on Giffgaff for a month and see how we go.
I see now that offgridwifi were claiming to have set up the router but they actually come like that. False impression for gullable old gits.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Unfortunately most of what you say about phones goes right over my head. Had a look at sipgate and that's even moreso.
Sipgate has a page with all the settings for the Zoiper app. There's also a QR code which loads up most of the settings. The paid version of Zoiper is supposed to work better in terms of keeping the connection alive, but I haven't tried it.

I used to connect the DECT phone via a Linksys adapter. Fiddly to set up VOIP, because it's all done very slowly via voice prompts and all settings entered through the phone keypad - had to use a wired phone because the DECT tones weren't compatible. Worked great till Virginmedia blocked it, which they deny because they're not supposed to block competition. These used to cost less than a tenner. Not made anymore, not the genuine Linksys ones anyway.

Now I use cheap old mobiles for VOIP instead, through the free Zoiper app.

The nice thing about Cex is that stuff is refundable, if bought online.

I've just now ordered this, which may or may not be a waste of money. At this price a cheap gamble. Unsure about the plug, but there are adapters in case it isn't the SMA type I need - pictures aren't clear. If it doesn't work out, it's ok because my connection is speedy enough. It's more out of curiosity.

Much pricier available on AliExpress for the determined.

Last edited:

Advertisers