250w vs 500w

Giant Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2024
Why come a 500w electric bike does the same speed as the 250w but the 500w isn't allowed on public highways?

I am new to electric bikes as I am yet to buy one.
I have been looking at 500w electric bikes which are coming upto £3,000 I am worried I would get the bike took off me by the police for using a 500w+ electric bike.

Thanks.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I have been looking at 500w electric bikes which are coming upto £3,000
£3000? Illegal e-bikes are usually quite cheap. Which specific e-bike you have in mind?

I am worried I would get the bike took off me by the police for using a 500w+ electric bike.
Then buy 250W bike. Surprisingly 250W motor can be more powerful than 500W.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If you are looking for ready made e-mtb, then this Bergamont is a real bargain.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
If you are looking for ready made e-mtb, then this Bergamont is a real bargain.
I hear alarm bells.

Please note: Price is for bank transfer payment only. (Trade sale!)

Please note: No refunds or exchanges - please make sure you order the correct size or contact us for help.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
I hear alarm bells.

Please note: Price is for bank transfer payment only. (Trade sale!)

Please note: No refunds or exchanges - please make sure you order the correct size or contact us for help.
Really odd that - Damian Harris in Cardiff well respected and established shop - unless their site is being used for a scam?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Really odd that - Damian Harris in Cardiff well respected and established shop - unless their site is being used for a scam?
I think that it is worth being careful (phoning up the shop?) but maybe the shop is trying to cut it's overheads down to the absolute minimum on this offer. Does putting "Trade Sale" in the description affect consumer rights ? - I wouldn't have thought so.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I think that it is worth being careful (phoning up the shop?) but maybe the shop is trying to cut it's overheads down to the absolute minimum on this offer. Does putting "Trade Sale" in the description affect consumer rights ? - I wouldn't have thought so.
It does as even if the sale is legit they are trying to pretend it's a business to business transaction to which consumer rights do not apply.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It is legit. Call them if you want. As far as I know, you can use credit card, but need to pay 5% more.

Last edited: