Tyre Wall Failure Imminent...

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,

The other day I noticed a number of tears in the wall of my rear tyre:

The Shocking Detail:

The tyre is a Continental Travel Contact, regularly inflated to 50psi and it is less than a year old, its rather disappointing.

I've now bought a Schwlabe unplattbar tyre to replace it and I now have the treat of taking the back wheel off my Wisper 905SEL without getting the power cable twisted and in a state of doubt.

And how come nowadys all tyre levers are rubbish? made out of useless easy break plastic. Back when I were a lad, these were made out of metal and did the job.

Karl.

Last edited:

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Hello,

And how come nowadys all tyre levers are rubbish? made out of useless easy break plastic. Back when I were a lad, these were made out of metal and did the job.

Karl.
And whats wrong with spoons :p

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The numerous little cracks in the tyres could suggest old rubber, I wonder how long the tyres had been hanging about in the factory or shop before you bought them.
It would be useful if cycle tyres were stamped with the date of manufacture as car tyres are.
Dave.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've got some 20 ish year old Continental tyres on one of my bikes still in nice condition.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Hello,

The other day I noticed a number of tears in the wall of my rear tyre:

The Shocking Detail:

The tyre is a Continental Travel Contact, regularly inflated to 50psi and it is less than a year old, its rather disappointing.

I've now bought a Schwlabe unplattbar tyre to replace it and I now have the treat of taking the back wheel off my Wisper 905SEL without getting the power cable twisted and in a state of doubt.

Karl.
I'd say a nigh on a year out of a tyre is pretty good. I am not sure I have ever had a tyre last that long, treads are normally well worn by then.

As for the tyre levers, some are brittle but many tyres do not even require levers.
Just get the bead in the centre of the rim on the opposite side of removal.
Minimal leverage is normally all that should be required. Metal levers were fine in the days of steel rims but not so clever on aluminium rims.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Modern, cheap, plastic, crappy tyre levers are just that. If you spend about 10 pence more you can get aluminium ones.

D

Deleted member 4366

I fitted Continental tyres to my bike a year ago. Now my back tyre is the same as the photo with the same splits all round. The front one is also bulging in several places. The sidewalls cracked after about a month from new. My best advice is to avoid Coninental tyres because they're made of something beginning with sh and ending with it.

Use spoon handles for tyre levers or just pull them of with your hands.

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Well, new tyre fitted, been out for 10 mile test ride and I'm sure it's faster than the old one.

Bit worried about the motor power cable where it enters the axle though:

In the end I used a combination of spoons (one of which I bent) and new plastic tyre levers that didn't break, although I'm sure they will.

Karl.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Can't see if its just the outer sheath or also the actual inner core that's stripped ?

Bit of reinforce tape and silicon sealant if just the outer should do it I'd have thought

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Karl,

The spring protection on the cable looks as if it has slipped. Fortunately the inner cables look fine, I would use dome electrical tape to cover the wires and make sure the spring protector is back in place when you re-fit the wheel. If you have any problems please e-mail the guys at support@wisperbikes.com

The rim looks as if it has been slightly damaged that align with the splits on the tyres it may be worth checking out. It may have been ridden flat before you took delivery?

The tyres in question were certainly only a few months old when you bought the bike as they were a new model made specifically for electric bikes by Kenda in 2012. We haven't heard of many problems, generally the tyres have been very good.

The 2013 Classic Wispers have the new Schwalbe e-bike tyre, I will be interested to see if they are any better.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry Karl, just re read the thread, I notice these weren't the original tyres, so I really cannot comment.

Another small point, when you re install the wheel, it may be worth putting a dab of grease on the axle thread.

All the best

David