Tongxin electric Brompton conversion for sale

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
As I've been riding non-electric for nearly a year I've been thinking it's time for me to sell my electric brompton kit.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6859-my-diy-electric-brompton-project.html

What's included in the sale is most of the parts required (still assembled) to convert a brompton:

80mm wide 260rpm 36V Tongxin motor fitted to a Sun rim. (+Brompton green tyre and inner tube fitted)
Brompton matt black steel forks widened and cutouts ground to accomodate the motor.
Brompton mudguard stay and latch hook bent into appropriate shape.
Custom made latch hook extender. This was sold to me by a pedelecs forum member who made a small run of them. This is required to account for the wider wheel and forks and allows the folded package to clip together.
Motor controller
MOSFET circuit. Used so that a low current remote switch can be used to switch on and off the power - and avoids the nasty spark usually seen when a battery is connected.
Bulgin connectors & cables etc.
Handlebar controller - usually controlls lights/indicators/horn but repurposed for Ebike use. See the bike build thread for more details.
Trip computer LED - lights up your computer in the dark.
Deans connectors for power etc.

The only things needed beyond this to convert a brompton would be a battery and charger, and you may need new handlebar grips depending on how easy it is to remove your current ones.

I would say this is only really suitable for someome who's keen to take on the DIY approach, is fairly handy and will be able to maintain it as and when required - though you if you treat it well you might get thousands of miles out of it without having to fix anything. You will of course get lots of support from this forum (as indeed I did over the years) :)

The motor itself has only done a few hundred miles. Since I broke my first motor by only using the highest speed setting, I've been much more careful with this one and only used it on the lower speed settings. Cosmetically everything is pretty good though there are a few scratches on the fork.

I've put countless hours into the project and had a lot of fun with it but as I'm no longer using it feel it's time to find a new home for it.

I'm looking for £250. I'll try to get to get some further photos together shortly.

[Disclaimer - I guess I should add that this kit of parts is being sold as is and in good faith and with the assumption you know what you're doing. If you manage to hurt yourself or blow yourself up don't come running to me...]

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm thinking about potentially get a geared motor later for the torque and freewheel.

Something somewhat faster than the tonxing that could go at 40-50kph. The problem is that geared motors are not made to handle more than 500RPM..

so wondering when you broke your first motor, was it because of the too high RPM or did you melt the motor with too many amps?

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I think I was just getting a bit gung ho and was applying maximum power to the motor too soon without enough pedalling to get up to speed first. With these motors you really need to do a few turns of the pedals first. With the current motor I've given it a much easier time and only used it on the lower power settings and never from a standing start.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ok thanks Pedalo.

I'm looking for a BPM or something similar so applying maximum power initially shouldn't be a problem.

Too bad the Tongxin isn't strong enough.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Does anyone know if the internals are the same on the 80 and 100mm motors?

The motor and reduction gear from my 100s are 65mm across. Am interested if they are the same?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Pedalo I sent you a related pm to this but not sure if your pm fox is full ?

Regards

Jerry

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Strange, my inbox is not showing as full but I'll clear some more space anyway.
I'll also try PMing you to see if that's working.

Edit: I tried sending you a message and I got a warning saying you've exceeded your storage!

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
lol sorry I cleared some space and emailed you :)

Jerry

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Yes the kit is still for sale - and PM'ing seems to be working again :)

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for your interest. It looks like this is now SOLD.