KT LCD3 Problem

Kemani

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2022
Hi,

I have built a 1500w 48v 18ah ebike. It has the capability of reaching speeds of 40mph, but on the KT LCD3 whenever I reach 30mph the watts turn from 1500w to 0-200w. So it doesnt go any faster than 30mph and all the watts go down. Any solutions?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi,

I have built a 1500w 48v 18ah ebike. It has the capability of reaching speeds of 40mph, but on the KT LCD3 whenever I reach 30mph the watts turn from 1500w to 0-200w. So it doesnt go any faster than 30mph and all the watts go down. Any solutions?
You are asking for advice about a machine that is not a pedelec, not a UK legal ebike and which is not the subject of this forum. That's why the responses to your identical previous post were what they were.

You could try endless sphere or the German pedelec forum for assistance with your high speed, high power machine. Google will lead you to those places.

Good luck with finding an answer.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Have you confirmed that there is no speed limit set on the LCD display?

The behaviour that you describe is exactly how an electric motor should behave - power peaks at standstill and tapers off to zero as you reach your motor's 'unloaded' speed.

Around 2000W of power at the wheel is required for a MTB to reach 40mph on flat terrain. If your controller only delivers 1500W of battery power, your motor will not be able to reach 40MPH.

EDIT: On further thought, I'm not convinced that your issue is caused purely by a lack of power. If it was, you would not see the power reduce as your speed rises and approaches your motor's unloaded speed. My suspicion is that 48V is simply not enough voltage for your motor to reach 40mph.
Hi,

Last edited:

Kemani

Sep 20, 2022
Have you confirmed that there is no speed limit set on the LCD display?

The behaviour that you describe is exactly how an electric motor should behave - power peaks at standstill and tapers off to zero as you reach your motor's 'unloaded' speed.

Around 2000W of power at the wheel is required for a MTB to reach 40mph on flat terrain. If your controller only delivers 1500W of battery power, your motor will not be able to reach 40MPH.

EDIT: On further thought, I'm not convinced that your issue is caused purely by a lack of power. If it was, you would not see the power reduce as your speed rises and approaches your motor's unloaded speed. My suspicion is that 48V is simply not enough voltage for your motor to reach 40mph.
There is no speed limit set and my peak watts go upto 1700-1800w if that helps, and I was able to reach 38mph but then I change the lcd as the old one broke. So my bike is definitely able to reach at least 38mph as ive reached that speed before.

Kemani

Sep 20, 2022
You are asking for advice about a machine that is not a pedelec, not a UK legal ebike and which is not the subject of this forum. That's why the responses to your identical previous post were what they were.

You could try endless sphere or the German pedelec forum for assistance with your high speed, high power machine. Google will lead you to those places.

Good luck with finding an answer.
Someone told me to come here to ask about my question.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Are you sure that the LCD is reporting the correct speed?

Most direct drive motors contain 23 magnet pole pairs. Assuming that yours does too, you should set the following custom parameters for an accurate speed reading:

P1=46
P2=0
There is no speed limit set and my peak watts go upto 1700-1800w if that helps, and I was able to reach 38mph but then I change the lcd as the old one broke. So my bike is definitely able to reach at least 38mph as ive reached that speed before.

Kemani

Sep 20, 2022
Are you sure that the LCD is reporting the correct speed?

Most direct drive motors contain 23 magnet pole pairs. Assuming that yours does too, you should set the following custom parameters for an accurate speed reading:

P1=46
P2=0
That is what it is set at. Ill list my settings incase thats the probelm.

P1=46 P2=0 P3=1 P4=0 P5=14

C1=02 C2=0 C3=8 C4=0 C5=10 C6=3 C7=0 C8=0 C9=0 C10=N C11=0 C12=4 C13=1 C14=2

Advertisers