Knee issues, heavy rider, good power, 1500gbp budget help please

Fatterbike

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Hello everyone

so I’m a large chap at 150kg but going down. I have had severe knee issues meaning exercising has been difficult and weight crept up.

im looking for an bike that’s comfortable and has some power. Higher hills where I live.
I saw the wispers are 120 Nm from their own motors but they are just twice what I can afford at 1500 gbp.

I’ve seen lots on amazon and my social feeds full of different makes.

could I have suggestions please for makes and models to consider? Power is key as I’m big as are the hills.
Thanks so much

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I agree. The reason why I managed to lose 4lbs last week instead of my usual 2lbs by intermittent fasting, were two 36 hour fasting periods instead of my usual 24 hours over 5 days. Losing weight through exercise later in life is for macho fat ill fantasists on medication, who will remain fat ill deluded and pill happy, until they die an early unpleasant death having lived an overly short unsatisfactory increasingly painful life, having cost the rest of us dear via the NHS.

At least 7lbs to go, it aint easy. :rolleyes:
Yes Guerney. Everything you said there is the truth.

Congratulations for having the determination and self control to manage to do what you said there. It ain't easy to go hungry for more than an hour or so in this world of massive food availability and large amounts of food designed to draw us in. We evolved as hunter gatherers, catching usually small animals, insects and fish and eating plants and roots we had to dig up. Our body systems prepared us for long gaps in our food finding, by storing energy as fat when our food gathering went well and we ate a lot, and using it up when we could not find what we needed. Yesterday I went to Sainsburies..... Packed with killer food and very available.

Most of us don't do what you are doing - control ourselves and going hungry for a couple of days a week. That is why the UK population is mostly well over weight.

How many calories are you consuming on your fasting days? What kind of food do you eat on those days?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Would your dog eat my arm? The NHS BMI calculator says I should lose yet another 7lbs, at least. And that's after having lost 3 stones 10lbs over the past two years.

View attachment 57355
My code of ethics says, " First do no arm", but if you'd like to donate a kidney or two, I think he'd be very happy, or your liver will lose you around 4 pounds. Win, win.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Of course more work output uses more energy. This is not in dispute and is obvious. Nevertheless, my statement that the only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you take in stands.

Riding an ordinary bicycle at 12 miles an hour without assistance burns 35 - 50 kcals a mile if the individual is or ordinary weight. It is a fact, carefully measured and indisputable. It is also a fact that that extra weight I carry (BMI 26) amounts to 3500 kcals per pound. If I want to lose it by cycling, I have to do a lot of miles (establishable by a simple calculation. If I do those miles on an electric bike, at least half the effort is being done by an electric motor NOT ME. This makes the required work output equate to a very large distance covered since my input is less than on an ordinary bike at the same speed and distance.

I don't see what is controversial.

Another problem is that heart rate per se is not the only issue. People's cardio vascular efficiency differs. Bradley Wiggins heart rate at the same work output will be a LOT less than mine. In time with a great deal of cardio work, even my cardio efficiency wan be improved.

These matters are much more complex than most personal trainers and gym people know or even dream of.
So the rule of thumb is one hour of zone 2 training burns 500-600 calories, so if you manage to do an hour each day (which I think is fun on an electric bike - the big problem with zone 2 training is boredom) and consume the same amount of calories you would lose 0.5 kg per week (which I think is the NHS optimum weight loss rate). If you can cut the amount of calories you consume, then you would increase this.

"Men burned 630 calories per hour and women 428 calories per hour while riding to work "

edited to add - my lunchtime ride round North Yorkshire lanes and byways

Screenshot_20240422-132022.pngScreenshot_20240422-132022.png

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes Guerney. Everything you said there is the truth.

Congratulations for having the determination and self control to manage to do what you said there. It ain't easy to go hungry for more than an hour or so in this world of massive food availability and large amounts of food designed to draw us in. We evolved as hunter gatherers, catching usually small animals, insects and fish and eating plants and roots we had to dig up. Our body systems prepared us for long gaps in our food finding, by storing energy as fat when our food gathering went well and we ate a lot, and using it up when we could not find what we needed. Yesterday I went to Sainsburies..... Packed with killer food and very available.

Most of us don't do what you are doing - control ourselves and going hungry for a couple of days a week. That is why the UK population is mostly well over weight.

How many calories are you consuming on your fasting days? What kind of food do you eat on those days?
If you're diabetic/pre-diabetic, have heart problems or blood pressure issues, intermittent fasting can lead to a heart attack or stroke, if you eat one massive meal a day. It isn't safe to eat a huge meal after 24 hours of eating nothing at all, so that's what I did lol, despite being told by my doc my blood pressure was very high and I should take statins. I was also pre-diabetic, but less so now. It took about 6 months after losing two stones for blood pressure to reduce. I refused stains and said "I'll lose weight". He was amazed that I did, because hardly anyone does.

It's safer to eat a short series of smaller meals over two or so hours, to reduce the potentially deadly blood sugar spike. The blood pressure spike could kill you.

Hunger only lasts an hour or two, sometimes several. The key is patience and being kind to oneself, maintaining a quiet determination. You don't psyche up, you psyche down and relax into it - it's just hunger, nothing to be afraid of, can't kill you for weeks. I did 5 days on, and took weekends off to eat anything I liked whenever. To start with, consuming a glass of orange juice every few hours, or cups of sugary tea, made time between meals more bearable. Now I don't need it. After about 14 hours of not eating, your body consumes itself.

A year before I started doing this intermittent fasting stuff, my very elderly neighbour reduced his weight through calorie reduction. He said the key to success is "Boredom".

I have a very varied diet, and my one meal a day is the most delicious possible. In another life, for a short time I was a chef in a restaurant... I know how to make delicious happen. There's nothing worse than looking forward to your one massive meal (it's huge), and it being a bland unenjoyable experience. I go all out flavourwise.

I always lapse over Christmas and put on weight - haven't been in a great hurry or stuck to my fasting regime too rigidly, because losing weight too quickly is also hazardous to one's health... and let's face it, this is an unpleasant process.

Once I'm at my target weight, I'll regain muscle mass - I was built like brick shit house in my 20s and 30s, and will be again. For me it's easy, I know how that process works, and even now, my body remembers what I expect from it. Larger muscles burn more calories, and big strong muscles are always useful.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Bloody hell you've done well. I lost another 4lbs last week - I now weigh less than I did aged 25. Unfortunately, I don't feel 25. Feeling 25 will lead to divorce.

Single father of three autistic sons who's mother walked out on them when they were 7,6 and 4, we were both 35 she unknown to me was pregnant with an 18 year olds child.

I am the only family they have so I have to live as long as I can for them

THIS is what I used, 1000 a day, started off at 100 a day, after a month 1000 a day in the garden

Take off the silly hand things, used a bike stand with a 4' pole attached to hold and worked on that, standing holding on the stand and working out

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So the rule of thumb is one hour of zone 2 training burns 500-600 calories, so if you manage to do an hour each day (which I think is fun on an electric bike - the big problem with zone 2 training is boredom) and consume the same amount of calories you would lose 0.5 kg per week (which I think is the NHS optimum weight loss rate). If you can cut the amount of calories you consume, then you would increase this.

"Men burned 630 calories per hour and women 428 calories per hour while riding to work "

edited to add - my lunchtime ride round North Yorkshire lanes and byways

View attachment 57358View attachment 57358

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When I got an ebike, I put on 2 stones because I'd stopped walking and jogging, and ate loads more. It's also easy to stay in constant and bearable fat burning mode for hours slow jogging, immediately adjustable too.

Also, many years ago John Cleese invented a way of walking which you can see here:

It looks silly, but you only need to do the low level walk, just not as low as John. High kicking is optional. When it becomes strenuous, you can switch back to ambling along, or increase your walking height. Low level balance walking mostly utilises your thigh muscles to attain very fast walking speed, far faster than walking non silly - it's almost as fast as jogging, and much faster than slow jogging, which is so slow I'm frequently overtaken by old or ill people walking their tiny dogs. They look upon me with contempt, as I disappear into the distance sweating and comically slow jogging about. So embarrassing.

I have no idea how silly Low Level Balance Walking™ ® ©℠ looks to others. There's less side to side movement, because your walk has a smaller base width. Try it. It's fast. You'll sweat.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

so 560 left for a doner bike