How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Tim Fry

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2014
Nice photo Tim, where are you based?

The new battery for the BH has finally arrived. It's only taken 7 weeks!!!!!!! :mad:

BH are SHITE!!!

I'm based in Portslade, just near Brighton. That shot is up on the downs 2 minutes from my house.

What is BH!? Lovelly looking bike BTW.

If you're Sussex based we should go for a ride sometime. Friston forest is on my list at some point, perhaps not until it's been checked for traps!

You guys might be interested in this youtube vid of me a few weeks back on the haibike of a rave up on the south downs way. I chucked it up as a laugh and before I knew it had over a million views!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I'm based in Portslade, just near Brighton. That shot is up on the downs 2 minutes from my house.

What is BH!? Lovelly looking bike BTW.

If you're Sussex based we should go for a ride sometime. Friston forest is on my list at some point, perhaps not until it's been checked for traps!

You guys might be interested in this youtube vid of me a few weeks back on the haibike of a rave up on the south downs way. I chucked it up as a laugh and before I knew it had over a million views!

Hi Tim

I'm based in Brighton, maybe a few of us could get together in the not so distant future.

Not sure what to make of the video. I assume that was the illegal rave at the dyke.
A bunch of people who came to enjoy the countryside location but could not give a fk about the mess and damage they left.

Still, I assume you were only riding through.

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
Hi Tim

I'm based in Brighton, maybe a few of us could get together in the not so distant future.

Not sure what to make of the video. I assume that was the illegal rave at the dyke.
A bunch of people who came to enjoy the countryside location but could not give a fk about the mess and damage they left.

Still, I assume you were only riding through.
Yep ride sounds good, like to see how some other electrics fair and not have to wait around for others :)

Was just riding through that rave by coincidence, was very bizarre and caused a fair bit of mess indeed.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SRS, you made a wise choice by not buying a BH. They are a fantastic bike, until something goes wrong, then no one from BH could careless and you are pretty much on your own.

6 weeks for a replacement motor when the rear wheel bearing failed.

3 months to receive a set of replacement forks, and when they finally arrived, they were for V brake, not disc brake. I gave up with BH at that point and bought the Rockshox. Luckily I still had use of the bike.

7 weeks to receive a battery.

If you have ever tried to phone BH, you will also discover that they don't answer their phone, and you can't leave a message.

I love the bike, and it's superb fun to ride, but I'd certainly never buy another, and would recommend that no one else does either.

Sadly it also doesn't have the range of the Bosch bikes, or the KTM Panasonic. I was hoping that BH would have sent me a 12ah in place of the 8.8ah, but they didn't. With the hassle that I've had from them, they should be bending over backwards to help out.

I'm hoping to get a KTM at some stage, so at least I should then be hassle free and be able to put the miles in.

I much prefer the look of the Bosch bike, but prefer the silence of the Panasonic.

Tim, I know what you mean about waiting around for others. I used the Haibike at last weekends Wiggle mtb ride, and went with a lad on a pedal only bike. I spent the pretty much whole ride in the lowest setting and couldn't ride the thing any slower, if I'd tried. Equally annoying is that the BH isn't designed for mtb use, and running 770c wheels with 30 section cyclo cross tyres, meant that I had to be very carful and slow going down hill. Altogether a frustrating ride. On a positive note, at least the lad that I went with was good laugh.

This wasn't a bad ride on the Downs

A ride sometime sounds good. Sadly at the moment I have just having to snatch time as and when I can, so I'll not be able to pre book anything at the moment. Get July and August out of the way, and things should then settle back into a pattern. The joys of being self employed, and trying to keep everyone happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: SRS

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
"

A ride sometime sounds good. Sadly at the moment I have just having to snatch time as and when I can, so I'll not be able to pre book anything at the moment. Get July and August out of the way, and things should then settle back into a pattern. The joys of being self employed, and trying to keep everyone happy!
Two lovely rides there, let us know on getting out. Be good to get a few sussex folk out.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess that it had to be done. I went out to try the bike tonight and all was well until mid way. I just kept getting error codes, and whilst the ride was 20miles long, I reckon that had I not been using both assist (eco) and non assist, that I'd have killed the new battery in ten miles! This bike now has me well and truly fecked off! The MD of BH Spain has just received a polite but very demanding email from me. I've had enough of BH.
Issues aside, it was good to be back out, and one aspect of riding off road with 26" wheels that I'd forgotten about, was just how careful that you need to be when pedalling through ruts. I certainly clipped a lot of rocks and roots tonight.
I'd also forgotten just how good that the tyres were. The off road speeds were right back up there again, and the traction was fantastic. I did have one "oh ****" moment though, when after riding off road, I ventured onto a public cycle path, and hadn't even registered in my head that there might be someone else out riding. I went hammering into a 90 degree bend, only to meet someone half way around coming the other way. The bike went down on its side with opposite lock, kind of speedway style, and some how I both stayed on the bike, and also managed to miss the other person. That one left me apologising rather a lot.
My off road ride tonight was a bit of naughty one, and I even ended up plowing into someone's back garden by mistake. I love evening rides, but I wouldn't want to be doing them on a pedal only bike. I want to know that I can get away. :D

Just before nearly knocking my helmet off when I got carried away.

Back to being dirty again!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well my email to the MD worked, and I've already a reply from him.

He is arranging to take the bike back, as in back to Spain, completely nut and bolt the whole thing, replacing anything and everything that requires it.
So why did I have it take it to the top to get a result. It shouldn't be like that.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The poor old Haibike got taken for a gentle ride today. :)

I tried to ride this last autumn on the BH with its 2.1 MTB tyres and swore that I'd never try it again, and yet here I was again today trying it on 700c wheels with a 30 size front tyre and just the Marathon road tyre on the rear. I was pretty pleased by just how much that my riding has improved over that time, and when the BH comes back, I'll have to give it a 'proper' try.

Here it is...

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The BH should be back with me again tomorrow. BH UK having kindly collected it, repaired it and returning it.

Despite the immaculate mechanical condition that I have kept this bike in, my heart really isn't in it anymore, and I've decided that when it comes back, that I'm probably getting shot of it, or at the very least, putting it in the back of the shed, as the re sale value is probably zero.

Right at the moment I feel as though I don't want to have to ride the bike, wondering what if anything will go wrong next.

It's a shame after having piled heavy money into it, but after just a year of ownership, and many months less of use, that's how I see it.

The only plus to come out of this sorry tale, is that the bike introduced me to e-mtb's and also to people that I now consider as friends from here, but beyond that, it's not a positive ending.

This opinion might change when I jump back on it, but I doubt it. Time to move on, and get this chapter out of my life. So I also guess that's also the last of the BH off road photo shots. Hurray you say! ;)

Despite my initial reservations, the Haibike or specifically it's Bosch mid motor has grown me, and I now really quite like the system. But after much threatening, I may well finally sell the Haibike, then pool the money into a KTM.
FLI, loaning me the KTM at the same time as the BH wasn't working, has persuaded me what a sound brand and bike that they are. The tough decision is going to be hub drive or mid drive, but even with the extra noise, I'm leaning heavily towards the looks and spec of the mid drive bike. :)

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
But, surely it was the mid-drive that got you all the aggro from competitors, whereas the hub was largely accepted?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
The BH should be back with me again tomorrow. BH UK having kindly collected it, repaired it and returning it.

Despite the immaculate mechanical condition that I have kept this bike in, my heart really isn't in it anymore, and I've decided that when it comes back, that I'm probably getting shot of it, or at the very least, putting it in the back of the shed, as the re sale value is probably zero.

Right at the moment I feel as though I don't want to have to ride the bike, wondering what if anything will go wrong next.

It's a shame after having piled heavy money into it, but after just a year of ownership, and many months less of use, that's how I see it.

The only plus to come out of this sorry tale, is that the bike introduced me to e-mtb's and also to people that I now consider as friends from here, but beyond that, it's not a positive ending.

This opinion might change when I jump back on it, but I doubt it. Time to move on, and get this chapter out of my life. So I also guess that's also the last of the BH off road photo shots. Hurray you say! ;)

Despite my initial reservations, the Haibike or specifically it's Bosch mid motor has grown me, and I now really quite like the system. But after much threatening, I may well finally sell the Haibike, then pool the money into a KTM.
FLI, loaning me the KTM at the same time as the BH wasn't working, has persuaded me what a sound brand and bike that they are. The tough decision is going to be hub drive or mid drive, but even with the extra noise, I'm leaning heavily towards the looks and spec of the mid drive bike. :)
Eddie, I'm shocked - it's like hearing a Man U supporter saying 'come on City'…

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I know, on all accounts :(

It's not so much that my heart isn't into the bike any more, just the brand.

I simply want to enjoy my time riding, without the hassle of wondering what will go wrong next, along with everything else that then goes hand in hand with it.

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
Think you should look at the 29" off road Haibike as a trade in, it handles really well both on and offroad. I've pretty much been out on it everyday for last 3 months.

BH UK

Just Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Hi Eddie, thank you for your comments. We feel a little kicked by what you say and would like to make it clear from our side following on from our telephone conversation in the latter part of last week.

The motor issue; this was resolved within 6 days as you are aware. The battery; yes this does take time as they have to be returned to Spain by road as they are classed as dangerous goods. We can only apologise for the delay.

As for your latest fault, this was fixed within 2 days despite the fault being due to physical damage i.e. broken wires.

We know you enjoy the bike and hope that we can all move forward. Wishing you a joyful riding experience

BH UK

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Eddie, thank you for your comments. We feel a little kicked by what you say and would like to make it clear from our side following on from our telephone conversation in the latter part of last week.

The motor issue; this was resolved within 6 days as you are aware. The battery; yes this does take time as they have to be returned to Spain by road as they are classed as dangerous goods. We can only apologise for the delay.

As for your latest fault, this was fixed within 2 days despite the fault being due to physical damage i.e. broken wires.

We know you enjoy the bike and hope that we can all move forward. Wishing you a joyful riding experience

BH UK

Hi Andy,
Sadly as you know I didn't have good phone reception on the two occasions that I spoke to you, and was barely only getting every other word. But don't worry I shall be writing something positive for you after I have collected the bike and ridden it. I shall also be doing the same for BH Spain.

In response to you "feeling a little kicked" please consider the following about how I am left feeling.

To start.. BH failed to track the battery, and it was infact delivered some 26 miles away from where it should had been. If this wasn't the case, then myself and CR were being lied to. It was only because of my direct contact to BH Spain that this matter even came to light, and was then resolved.
Yes the 2nd motor was replaced very quickly, but with me being in CR the same day as opening the box that contained the wrong front forks after my three month wait for them, must have gone someway to helping with that one. Seven months later I still have no new front forks, so it was just as well that I had sense to buy my own, and have them fitted at my expense. Perhaps I should be refunded the cost of front fork purchase, bearings stem, labour costs, and three trips to CR. And you wonder why I'm so aggrieved. To be honest, I'm still livid with the treatment that I have received over the last year. Poor doesn't even begin to cut it, and if I were to work out my out of pocket expenses, they would probably now be in excess of £500.00
Another point that should be raised in relation to the front forks, is that as end user, I couldn't care less that BH UK had to purchase the wrongly supplied forks themselves. Why should I repeatedly need to know that, and infact the statement is more than likely wrong. The forks were incorrectly supplied, so BH UK would have returned them and been refunded, so wouldn't have paid a penny. The person that shouldn't have had to buy replacement forks was me! I guess that point doesn't matter to BH UK though, and has very conveniently been forgotten.

I am grateful for you coming down to collect and repair the bikes electrics super fast. That is very much appreciated, but sadly again would this have ever happened had I not contacted Spain. Being cynical, I very much doubt it.

Since new, I have barley had a single ride that hasn't shown error codes, so it'll be interesting to see if the bike finally now functions as it should.

I would also add that one way or another, that I have only probably had 7 trouble free months from this bike in my one year of ownership, and given that I paid in excess of 2k for it, I would have expected better. So in respect of this, you can hardly expect me to be a happy customer. Even on my first ride, it broke down in less than 1.5miles and had to be pushed home. It took nearly six weeks for the first motor to be changed due to bearing failure, but to be fair to Maxtrax they did offer to get me a full refund on the bike, but I declined as CR had been so good in trying to resolve the issue.. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so amenable.

Whilst I love the bike, sadly for me all faith in it has now gone, and once CR have finished servicing it and it's been collected, I am probably going to sell it as I just can't face the thought of wondering what will go wrong with it next, and how will it be resolved. So once again, I will have lost out.

I would also like to add, that I wouldn't want my negative experience of both the bike and BH to put anyone off buying one. The NEO Xtrem is a superb bike, and it fulfils many roles successfully and competently, and I'd like to think that I have just been unlucky. The bike is brilliant fun to ride, and problems aside, makes you grin and smile with every ride.
Had I not had my bad experience, there would currently be a NEO Race sitting besides the Xtrem, as I consider it to be the best road bike that I have ever ridden. It's well spec'd has superb range, and somehow manages to feel just so natural and right to ride. Infact, now that it has it's 12ah battery, it is possibly a ten out ten bike.
I've yet to ride a NEO Jumper, but again, I would imagine that it fulfils it's role very well, and it would had been on my list of bikes to try now that I want to upgrade to a FS bike.
So anyone reading this, please consider that I am just one very disgruntled customer, and hopefully not representive of other BH customers, who are hopefully happy owners. :)

Sadly the above has not been my experience of BH though, and I don't actually believe that BH UK has any real commitment to the UK E-bike market. Trying to search for info about the range gives a clear indication of this, and not to have been even offered a courtesy/demo bike whilst I have been having issues, is another sign of inadequate customer relations and after care. Having said that, being told that BH UK don't even have any demo bikes came as an even bigger surprise. You must be the only UK e-bike company that doesn't. At least Maxtrax had that angle covered.

I've got to be honest in saying that BH UK fall a long way short of expectations and standards, and the company as a whole has many areas that badly need addressing if it is to succeed in this country. Taking responsibility and not blaming member partners and suppliers would be a start.

Finally, both CR and myself have asked on several occasion for a price and obtainability of a 12ah battery for my bike, with unsurprisingly no response from BH UK. I would now like BH as a company to publicly answer and clarify the following..... Regen!!

From research and bike use I already know the answer to this, but does the bike actually have a fully working functional regen capability, and what are the calculated gains? Given that like others, I was sold the bike on this premise, and that it is thoroughly detailed in both the user manual and on the console, I would be interested to hear what you have to say in relation to this.

For anyone reading this who might be wondering how the bikes forks looked after just a couple of months or so, here is an early stage photo. By December the forks as whole no longer even functioned, and were pretty much solid and unusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Time had passed, so I couldn't add this as edit to the above.

I have now collected the bike, and would firstly thank BH UK for repairing it for me.
The brake cable, was noted as being possibly being internally broken when I took the bike in for repair, but I had no knowledge that the main wire from the control console had also broken down inside.
The opinion was that I had possibly caused this, by wrenching the bars at some stage. Whilst this is a possibility, as after all I have fallen from the bike many times. Equally given that I have had error codes from day one, it could have been pulled during the bikes assembly stage.
That aspect of things isn't provable either way, so in fairness to BH, I'll assume responsibility for that.
It was also pointed out to me that my continued off road use of the bike, will add to further damage of the bike.
Clearly the bike hasn't been designed for my off road use, so driving home from the shop, I have decided that selling it and buying an e-mtb that actually is designed for off road use, is going to be the only way forward me.
As said before, my heart just isn't in the bike any more and I'm now tired of the whole deal.

Advertisers