G51 controller ( Pedal Assist not working )

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I take it I am right when you said LHS. = left hand side you mean all the wires etc need tidying up. I’m wondering if I could fit a wide heat shrink tube over some to tidy it up

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Most heatshrink doesn't shrink by enough to grip the wires either side of large connectors. I use 4:1 self-adhesive marine heat shrink on my bike. If I don't think the wide stuff will shrink enough, I also use sections of a smaller diameter for the wires, in steps, so that the wires are gripped and kept watertight. I wouldn't use 4:1 over that connector, because you may wish to disconnect it at some later stage, and marine heatshrink is difficult to remove because of heat adhesive. Perhaps use normal heat shrink plus a layer self-adhesive marine heat shrink on top? The first layer of normal heat shrink would make removal easier; prevent marine heat shrink from sticking to the connector.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Most heatshrink doesn't shrink by enough to grip the wires either side of large connectors. I use 4:1 self-adhesive marine heat shrink on my bike. If I don't think the wide stuff will shrink enough, I also use sections of a smaller diameter for the wires, in steps, so that the wires are gripped and kept watertight. I wouldn't use 4:1 over that connector, because you may wish to disconnect it at some later stage, and marine heatshrink is difficult to remove because of heat adhesive. Perhaps use normal heat shrink plus a layer self-adhesive marine heat shrink on top? The first layer of normal heat shrink would make removal easier; prevent marine heat shrink from sticking to the connector.
Yeah see your point, I may just use cable ties, as you can just cut them off easy enough if need to.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah see your point, I may just use cable ties, as you can just cut them off easy enough if need to.
Perhaps wrap a bit of self-amalgamating rubber tape around the wires where you will be placing zipties? This stuff between the wide heatshrink and the wires, squeezed tightly with cable ties, could keep dirt and water out:

But... very tight zipties could break internal wires. Alternatively, you could wrap the whole connector with self-amalgamating rubber tape, or just around the wires at either end of the wide heatshrink, or over the heatshrink and wires. However you do it, hope you get it dirt and waterproof.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Perhaps wrap a bit of self-amalgamating rubber tape around the wires where you will be placing zipties? This stuff between the wide heatshrink and the wires, squeezed tightly with cable ties, could keep dirt and water out:

But... very tight zipties could break internal wires. Alternatively, you could wrap the whole connector with self-amalgamating rubber tape, or just around the wires at either end of the wide heatshrink, or over the heatshrink and wires. However you do it, hope you get it dirt and waterproof.

Yes I have used amalgamating tape before, stretches and clings to itself. I will use that over the zip ties, also I never fasten zipties around wires too tight.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PAS 5 is insane on flat terrain, it really isn't needed . It jut eats up battery power so save it for the hills.

Be careful with cable ties as they can pinch inner very thin wires and short them or break them. I use velcro strap on all my wiring.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
PAS 5 is insane on flat terrain, it really isn't needed . It jut eats up battery power so save it for the hills.

Be careful with cable ties as they can pinch inner very thin wires and short them or break them. I use velcro strap on all my wiring.
Yes well on that old v12 PAS the only one which worked was 5, which was way too much on a flat, since i fitted this new pas all numbers work now 1 to 5.

Yes I will try that amalgamating tape over wires 1st then zip ties over take if required.

Actuially I do have a roll of velcro, with buckles, so can also use that too