Flyer Panasonic Motor Sensor Problem

Milos Misic

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Hello to all,
My friend own Flyer for some time, few weeks ago, I hit the pedal on sidewalk while i was driving, and it shows error E1 (motor sensor problem). Tried to send him to some bike repair shops, and one of them got in contact with Flyer from Switzerland. Answer was easy, try this code, if it does not work you have to change the motor. Code didn't work so we asked for an invoice, price is crazy, around 800 AU Dollars just for motor.
Ok, so i need to find solution for this problem, tried to search around all forums but couldn't find similar problem.
My q is can the sensor on motor be fixed manually, is it possible to order motor from Panasonic directly? is price the same? Need help desperately.I need to fix his bike, but I can't afford 800AU just for motor (plus work)
(I'll definitely wont borrow bikes like this anymore)
I'm In Sydney, AU, so any help will be welcome.
Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In Britain a typical price for one of these units is £500, in mainland Europe €500. There are no internal new spares available. As for what is wrong and any repair possibility, much depends on which unit it is. If you have a look at my Panasonic support website you will be able to see which it is by the unit shape in the illustrations.

Let me know that I will be able to say more, here's the link

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In which case I couldn't help at all, having no experience of that chainwheel drive unit. I didn't know they'd reached European manufacturers!

Milos Misic

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2014
It is the new unit motor, like the one on the picture below.
I don't think it is without motor sprocket. Is there possibilitythat I can use used motor or any suggestions where I could search for it in used condition ( if u think that the internal repair is not possible)
Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure what they mean by motor sensor Milos, the motor is a simple brushless one with no internal sensors. The only thing that I can think is the motor's Hall sensor board is displaced, something that can happen on either unit type but easier to correct on the new unit that you have.

The black plastic shelled motor is bolted onto the crankcase with four bolts, and if that is removed a little and pulled to one side, trying not to pull off the three phase leads, you will see the green Hall sensor circuit board mounted on the alloy crankcase wall, here it is with the motor removed:

If it's displaced the motor phase timing will be out.

Other than that there's possibly a fault in the main circuit board inside, but that really is unrepairable since it's fully encapsulated and sealed into it's crankcase half internally.

The remaining but highly unlikely cause of a fault is in the pedelec sensor assembly. That is identical on both units and you'll find it's illustrated description on this old motor unit page two-thirds of the way down, electrical measurements at the foot of the page. However, I've never known of any fault in this robust assembly.

Milos Misic

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Thank you, we are getting somewhere. I'll try to be more precise with how the bike react after the hit. Back wheel continuedto spin, so I had to turn off the motor with power button, if the motor continuedto work it means motor works, I had the feeling that pedal got stuck on the sensor so I turns it off. could it be the pedal sensor then? What is your opinion? I don't feel the pressure on the pedal as I did before, when say pressure I mean on that first step before the motor start spinning. Thank you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never known that but it is just possible that after an impact into the pedal shaft there's been some damage to the sensor assembly. Following the sequence of photos and description on the page I've given you should show if there is any structural damage and also enable you to check the split sensor coil resistances. The information in that same old motor unit page will help you in parting the crankcase of your newer unit to get at the pedelec assembly. If something is physically wrong there, I do have some spares I could post if necessary.

It wouldn't be the first time I've posted parts to the Antipodes. :)

Advertisers